Since...

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
zackabba
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Since...

Post by zackabba »

Since there were many gods worshiped before even Judaism arose (then Christianity), one example being in the Sumerian civilization, how can we be sure that Christianity is true?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: Since...

Post by neo-x »

I am sure some one will answer you in detail but on a personal note you do not wanna be around the gods before Judaism and Christianity as most of them wanted you to burn or sacrifice your children resulting in human sacrifice.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Jarpenguin
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Jarpenguin »

zackabba wrote:Since there were many gods worshiped before even Judaism arose (then Christianity), one example being in the Sumerian civilization, how can we be sure that Christianity is true?
Simply put, we cannot be sure that Christianity is true... We can attempt to find sufficient evidence, however we will never be absolutely sure until the day that we die.

On the other hand, we can prove that most of these earlier religions were false. As an example, you brought up the Sumerian civilization. The Sumerians believed that a rainbow was the necklace of the love goddess... Scientifically speaking, a rainbow is not actually the necklace of a love goddess :O
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is you have no way of confirming their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Jarpenguin wrote:Simply put, we cannot be sure that Christianity is true... We can attempt to find sufficient evidence, however we will never be absolutely sure until the day that we die.
In the truest sense perhaps not. But when one looks at the overwhelming evidence in favor of Christianity (historical, archeological, fulfillment of prophecies, etc.) it becomes clear (from reason only, not faith) that if God exists (and again there is overwhelming evidence from reason for his existence as well) that Christianity IS the one and only true religion.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Simply put, we cannot be sure that Christianity is true...
"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen" Heb. 11:1

Obvioulsy, the scripture says that faith in Christ is a faith that offers assurance.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Faith and personal experience/revelation aside, I suggest Dinesh D'Souza's book:
What's so great about Christianity?
Jarpenguin
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Jarpenguin »

Byblos wrote:
Jarpenguin wrote:Simply put, we cannot be sure that Christianity is true... We can attempt to find sufficient evidence, however we will never be absolutely sure until the day that we die.
In the truest sense perhaps not. But when one looks at the overwhelming evidence in favor of Christianity (historical, archeological, fulfillment of prophecies, etc.) it becomes clear (from reason only, not faith) that if God exists (and again there is overwhelming evidence from reason for his existence as well) that Christianity IS the one and only true religion.
Yes, you are completely right...
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is you have no way of confirming their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln