l Timothy issue

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

l Timothy issue

Post by cubeus19 »

Hey guys, I saw this issue being raised by a atheist or bible skeptic on the Stand to Reason blog a day or so ago. The people there were discussing something to do with Bart Eherman's recent book, and one atheist got on and said that the vast majority of Bible scholars currently think that the book of l Timothy not only doesn't belong in the New Testament but that it wasn't written by Paul. I was wondering if any of you have heard about this and how you would respond to it. Thanks and GB.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: l Timothy issue

Post by jlay »

I am totally ignorant of this issue.

Links?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
cubeus19
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by cubeus19 »

Here is where I found out about it (it is in the comments section) I think its the first of the comments.

http://str.typepad.com/weblog/2011/03/l ... rhman.html
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

The Patristic Father's don't question Pauline Authorship. It doesn't appear as a question until the 19th century. It is a raging debate and there's a strong contingent of scholars like Ehrman who believe the issue to be settled. It's an intricate argument and it relies in large part in liberal scholars repeating each other to the point that they believe the issue to be resolved. I'm not really all that impressed. It will become a very parroted point of view because people who wish to believe it will cite Ehrman as the authority and portray anyone who disagrees as uneducated and a rube, despite their not having direct experience in textual criticism.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Hey guys, I saw this issue being raised by a atheist or bible skeptic on the Stand to Reason blog a day or so ago. The people there were discussing something to do with Bart Eherman's recent book, and one atheist got on and said that the vast majority of Bible scholars currently think that the book of l Timothy not only doesn't belong in the New Testament but that it wasn't written by Paul. I was wondering if any of you have heard about this and how you would respond to it. Thanks and GB.
Hmmm...I am tired of hearing these bible bashers coming with the same stuff as always. I would not take these too seriously. they may show you a lot of things. but remeber your faith stands not in what you see but on what you do not see. :ewink:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The issue of authorship of some ( for some all) of the pastoral letters is one that came into being because of textual critique and most that think that 1 and 2 timothy ( to speak of the Timothy letters only) were not authored by Paul , actually think that the letters were not ALL Pauls.
There are definite Pauling traits in them, but also some stuff this is more definitly not Paul as compared to the letters that are Paul's "without question" such as Romans, Corintinthians, Thessalonians, etc.
One of the issues is how those letters view women and their role in the church, in contrast as to how Paul views women in Romans for example.