What makes a person "Christian"?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: What makes a person "Christian"?

Post by zoegirl »

11th Doc

You obviously are not serious about wanting to ask questions about Christianity. What do you think "real" Christians would tell you that we are not? The so-called dogma is simply what we believe and if you can't take it, then yes, you should probably leave.

You are hard to figure out 11th doc, because on one hand oyu claim to want to know more but you are obviously bearing very large burdens of bias and prejudice. Unless you are willing to listen to us instead of blocking every attempt at reasonable answers, then you are indeed wasting your time.

It;s a shame, because it was really nice talking with you when you are not metaphorically sticking your fingers in your ears and singing "nananana can't hear you" every time we attempt to answer you. (plus it was nice to talk about The Doctor!)
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: What makes a person "Christian"?

Post by B. W. »

The11thDr. wrote:
B.W wrote:Fact is, humanity is responsible for less murder and mayhem than people ever can accuse God ever of.

What has science bought us in the last 100 years? What has Religion gotten us in the last 1000? I suppose you are going to say that humanity isn't responsible for all the gains science brings us? That is the point of this site isn't it, co-opting science to "prove" your fantasies... I think I've had enough of this place, ill just talk to some real Christians(also I get cookies!!) in the real world... That might be more convincing to me.

PS. Nice dog piling, Just direct me to your dogma pages.
Hi Doctor, hope you'll take time and read this...

You bring up another good point, humanity is incapable of eradicating evil due to perversion of religious ideas, our sciences, of social mores', philosophic concepts, social programs, or through any works of humankind, we cannot eradicate evil by our own efforts, ideas, concepts, or programs, or science. We, human beings fall short every time.

Our science has made the greatest advances during times of slaughter. What advances? Industrial age wrought forth exploitation. What about machine guns, better explosives, nuclear weapons, chemical weapons, social engineering, slaughter of the unborn, yes, I guess science is pure benevolent goodness incapable of being hijacked for justifications of malice while religion is the only one capable of such culpability.

That is why we need a savior, Jesus Christ, who provides the means by which evil is eradicated from the hearts of those willing to be changed through believing in him. He does so without exhibiting any injustice through appeals of reason and not force.

However, after exhausting all appeals to humanity, there will come a time when harsh measures are once again the only and final option left for God to use. Not to convert, but for final judgment because after all unreasonable doubt has been exhausted, men love darkness more than the light that came to save them.

1 John 1:5, “This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.”

John 1:10, 11, 12, “He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God…”

John 3:19, 20, 21, “And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God."

John 12:46 — Jesus said: “I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.”

Isaiah 66:4, “I also will choose harsh treatment for them and bring their fears upon them, because when I called, no one answered, when I spoke, they did not listen; but they did what was evil in my eyes and chose that in which I did not delight."

Bible quotes from ESV
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys