What Can I do To Be a better Person

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
(--Life--)
Newbie Member

What Can I do To Be a better Person

Post by (--Life--) »

I don't really care about others, I always leave them be. I have always been harmful to everyone, But how can I slow sin or guide it away from me for just a day? I have done some progress, but I still want to be recognized as a good person who cares about other people. I can't entirely stop it, but I can live a better life if i slowed it down.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Do you consider yourself to be a Christian?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
(--Life--)
Newbie Member

Post by (--Life--) »

Im a Catholic, but sometimes I feel like I deserve to be in hell or something. *Sigh* But I can change.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

You did not really answer my question. A personal faith in and relationship with Jesus is where you should start. Saying that you are Catholic does not tell me if you are a true Christian or not.

Anyhow, the Christian teaching on this topic is that of being a servant to others. The distinction I would make is about motive, you seem to want to gain the acceptance of people. Christians serve because it is the result of the Holy Spirit's redemptive work in them. Even then it does not mean that you will gain the accpetance of people, but your life will stand as an example, and you know that you are serving God.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

(--Life--) wrote:Im a Catholic, but sometimes I feel like I deserve to be in hell or something. *Sigh* But I can change.
Don't be so hard on yourself. Ask yourself why you don't care about others. Do you have trouble seeing that they are people too?

Maybe you need to stop and really look into yourself, what is it you really want?

You're not alone, there are many who care about you.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

August wrote:The distinction I would make is about motive, you seem to want to gain the acceptance of people. Christians serve because it is the result of the Holy Spirit's redemptive work in them. Even then it does not mean that you will gain the accpetance of people, but your life will stand as an example, and you know that you are serving God.
Agreed.

"When the world begins to see you change, don't expect them to applaud. Just keep your eyes on Him and tell yourself, I've become the work of God."
- Amy Grant

(Too bad she slid so far years later)
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Felgar wrote:
August wrote:The distinction I would make is about motive, you seem to want to gain the acceptance of people. Christians serve because it is the result of the Holy Spirit's redemptive work in them. Even then it does not mean that you will gain the accpetance of people, but your life will stand as an example, and you know that you are serving God.
Agreed.

"When the world begins to see you change, don't expect them to applaud. Just keep your eyes on Him and tell yourself, I've become the work of God."
- Amy Grant

(Too bad she slid so far years later)
Indeed she Slid but that does not mean a thing. We all go through Rocky roads and Amy Grant is one that did just that.

But some of the things she is doing in her Life is amazing and look at the new Reality Show "Three Wishes"! That will be an amazing show
http://www.amygrant.com/
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

I beleive we must learn to seperate the person from the actions.
We must learn to love the person but hate the sin.
Jesus said children love each other.
None have ever had a greater love than the one who layed down his life for us.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

(--Life--) wrote:Im a Catholic, but sometimes I feel like I deserve to be in hell or something.
Whether this is something significant or not, I've noticed within my observations of certain Catholics that a lot of emphasis tends to be placed on feeling guilty, and that such is the right feeling to have. I do not know how to reconcile such a thing with the belief that we are free from the consequences of sin thanks to Christ.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

(--Life--) wrote:Im a Catholic, but sometimes I feel like I deserve to be in hell or something. *Sigh* But I can change.
I think that this feeling you have is Biblical. For the wages of sin are death. I think that it is clear that we all deserve to be in hell. I am not sure that your assumption that you can change is at all accurate. I believe that you can be changed, I believe that God can change you. I am also certian that while God can cleanse you that Satan won't let you forget all the uncaring and sinful things you have done. And he is gonna still try to get you to disobey God. I know that I do nothing good from myself, but that the Holy Spirit does good through me.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Jbuza wrote:
I think that this feeling you have is Biblical. For the wages of sin are death. I think that it is clear that we all deserve to be in hell. I am not sure that your assumption that you can change is at all accurate. I believe that you can be changed, I believe that God can change you. I am also certian that while God can cleanse you that Satan won't let you forget all the uncaring and sinful things you have done. And he is gonna still try to get you to disobey God. I know that I do nothing good from myself, but that the Holy Spirit does good through me.
Yes Amen to that!