Tips for Helping my Friend

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
JediMasterAaron
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Tips for Helping my Friend

Post by JediMasterAaron »

Hi guys, so not too long ago I led one of my good friends to Christ, woo hoo, and I'm helping him as he adjusts to being a Christian. We talked the other night about a few basics, nothing that would confuse him, and I told him to begin reading the Bible and come to me with any questions he has. I'm decent with my theology, but I would like some advise on how to help get his feet under him without overwhelming him. Thanks in advance! :esmile:
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Tips for Helping my Friend

Post by Mallz »

I think the way you are going about it so far is good. Are you looking to help direct him some way? I would keep on your current path, analyze what he is doing, how he is going about it and what comes from it (questions and conversation/his living response). If it's fruitful, keep going, if not find out why and respond. The Holy Spirit is the one teaching, you're an ambassador. Help guide him by pointing to Him (His words are the guide, the Holy Spirit the leading teacher, and us actively participating in the life brought form His words/guidance).

If you're looking for a more specific response, I could say start with reading the gospel of John and then some NT letters and see where he's led from there. But, I don't really know what's wanted from your inquiry ;)
Blessed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Blessed »

JediMasterAaron wrote:Hi guys, so not too long ago I led one of my good friends to Christ, woo hoo, and I'm helping him as he adjusts to being a Christian. We talked the other night about a few basics, nothing that would confuse him, and I told him to begin reading the Bible and come to me with any questions he has. I'm decent with my theology, but I would like some advise on how to help get his feet under him without overwhelming him. Thanks in advance! :esmile:
It depends on what type of person you're dealing with ...

I ran into a guy tonight who is a street preacher here ... I've seen him here before ... He passes out easy to understand pamphlets with big letters ...

Some people have a short attention span or aren't good readers or just aren't smart. Throwing the Bible at someone like that ... I dunno ... . At the other end of the spectrum some people are good readers with a long attention span and high IQ and more speculative ..

I'm not a good person for advise ..
JediMasterAaron
Familiar Member

Both of your responses help, thank you!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Having a friend makes it easier to help them y*-:)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

JediMasterAaron wrote:Hi guys, so not too long ago I led one of my good friends to Christ, woo hoo, and I'm helping him as he adjusts to being a Christian. We talked the other night about a few basics, nothing that would confuse him, and I told him to begin reading the Bible and come to me with any questions he has. I'm decent with my theology, but I would like some advise on how to help get his feet under him without overwhelming him. Thanks in advance! :esmile:
Use the force?

:ssorry:

Kidding aside,

I'd recommend beginning with the book of John.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
JediMasterAaron
Familiar Member

RickD wrote:
Use the force?

Kidding aside,

Thanks, I told him to start with Genesis, but should I tell him to start reading John instead?
Nicki
Sex: Female

Post by Nicki »

JediMasterAaron wrote:
RickD wrote:
Use the force?

Kidding aside,

Thanks, I told him to start with Genesis, but should I tell him to start reading John instead?

Yes, probably good to get into the theology in John - later he can go back to Genesis and find out the history and so on.