Critique of "Can Christians Use Drugs?"

Discuss strengths and weaknesses of new pages added to the God And Science website
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Critique of "Can Christians Use Drugs?"

Post by RickD »

Weed is a literal weed, that's it. How is it different from tobacco? It's a dried plant.
Try driving a car after smoking a doobie. Then try driving a car after smoking a cigarette. Big difference.
1) it's not addictive
That's not accurate. While what's in the drug itself MAY NOT be addictive, it's mind numbing qualities are certainly addictive.
2) it does not cause violence
Try taking some weed from a drug dealer without paying him. Illegal drug sales involving money and drugs, and humans, may certainly lead to violence.
3) it calms people down
More accurately, it dumbs people down. It kills brain cells. It makes users lazy.
4) it does not effect the body and it may even possess some cancer curing qualities.
It does not affect the body? Come on Murray, it gets one high, and kills brain cells.
5) If god hated us using dried plants i'm sure he would address it specifically.
GOD:"Murray, stop smoking pot, it's killing your brain cells."
6) No other banned substance is completely natural with 0 human alteration.
Cocaine. I suppose that's not a drug, either.
7) It's not even a drug it's a herb.....
Cmon, Murray, that's rediculous.
We spend money, lives, and time fighting a harmless PLANT, so pointless.....
We spend money, lives, and time smoking pot, trying to hide reality, seems pretty pointless...

Murray, I bet if you asked God to show you if smoking pot is what He wants you to do, He'll show you. You probably won't like the answer you get, however.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

You talk like I still smoke pot rick.....

1) I suppose having sex is just as dangerous then since SOME people get addicted to it

2) The only violence that comes from it is because it is illegal, most people don't kill 20 people high on weed, they just sit in a chair and enjoy it

3) Playing sports kill brain cells to....

4) You can bake weed into brownies, no body damage there, just maybe some dead cells,

5)--

6) cocaine in humanly altered in a drug lab so it makes you high, its not straight form the plant

7) how is it not a herb? I believe it is classified as one
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

You talk like I still smoke pot rick.....
Murray, you defend the use of pot, like someone who uses it.
1) I suppose having sex is just as dangerous then since SOME people get addicted to it
Murray, you know that monogamous sex between a married man and woman, is not usually dangerous.
2) The only violence that comes from it is because it is illegal, most people don't kill 20 people high on weed, they just sit in a chair and enjoy it
Murray, everyone I knew who smoked pot, had impaired judgment. Most, if not all the people I've seen smoke pot, drove a car while high. You may not call that violent, but it surely is dangerous.
3) Playing sports kill brain cells to....
Yes, Murray. Especially sports that involve concussions, and head trauma.
4) You can bake weed into brownies, no body damage there, just maybe some dead cells,

y#-o Murray, getting high kills brain cells, impairs judgment, and isn't safe.
5)--
I'm not sure how to answer this.
6) cocaine in humanly altered in a drug lab so it makes you high, its not straight form the plant
There's a psychedelic mushrooms, that grow naturally, that can kill a human. So much for the "if it's natural, it's not harmful theory.
7) how is it not a herb? I believe it is classified as one
I didn't say it's not an herb. You said:
7) It's not even a drug it's a herb
The part about it not being a drug, is the ridiculous part.

Murray, the bottom line is that pot, and other drugs aren't something to mess around with. Drugs don't solve problems. They just temporarily numb the mind to those problems. Smoking pot actually hurts users, by helping to keep them from dealing with reality, and life's problems. Why deal with a problem, when you can just smoke a fat one instead?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Drugs don't solve problems. They just temporarily numb the mind to those problems. Smoking pot actually hurts users, by helping to keep them from dealing with reality, and life's problems. Why deal with a problem, when you can just smoke a fat one instead?
Being an ex user i know first hand of the effects and they are not pretty, i have seen it destroy too many lives too many times.
People are tricked into thinking it is a "soft" drug by popular misconceptions, i have never met anyone to date that takes it that does not have any negative effects.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Drugs don't solve problems. They just temporarily numb the mind to those problems. Smoking pot actually hurts users, by helping to keep them from dealing with reality, and life's problems. Why deal with a problem, when you can just smoke a fat one instead?
Being an ex user i know first hand of the effects and they are not pretty, i have seen it destroy too many lives too many times.
People are tricked into thinking it is a "soft" drug by popular misconceptions, i have never met anyone to date that takes it that does not have any negative effects.
Ain't that the truth, Daniel. Drugs are too powerful. We rationalize the use of them, and think we are in control while using them. In reality, drugs control the user. There's a lot more effects of drugs, than just the physical effects.
There was a kid I went to high school with. He was an A student. Top 5-10 % of my class. A real intelligent kid. I saw him, maybe 10 years after high school. He couldn't form a complete sentence. His mind was mush, from drugs. What a shame, a wasted life.

-Edward R Murrow

Echoside
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Echoside »

RickD wrote:There was a kid I went to high school with. He was an A student. Top 5-10 % of my class. A real intelligent kid. I saw him, maybe 10 years after high school. He couldn't form a complete sentence. His mind was mush, from drugs. What a shame, a wasted life.
I can relate to this, it's always the intelligent ones that think they can somehow rationalize away negative effects.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:
Illicit drug use does that, prep the user to be open to demonic influences.
People develop psychological issues with illicit drug use as it opens the doorways into the demonic.
B.W., You've raised some interesting questions, in my mind. You mention "illicit" drug use, as causing the problems you describe.

1) Why did you preface those statements with "illicit"?

2) Is it only illegal drugs that you're talking about?(If pot was made legal, would that change your stance?)

3)At least on the tv stations I've been watching recently, it seems like there is a pill for everything being advertised. How does the "we've got a pill for everything" kind of mentality, fit into what you're saying?

4) How does one make the distinction between illicit, and legal drugs?

Thanks

To answer: illicit defined as per context of Gal 5:20 case.

Mind altering drugs do open a person up to debasement… as well as can damage DNA, cells, etc and etc…

Morphine, pain killers, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, amphetamines, etc, of the schedule 2 category class can fall into this group when used for abuse. These hurt the abusers and those closest to the users in varied ways: fruit is – ruin, destruction, potential robbed, and death. Wasted life.

In Acts 9:36 Tabitha died and was remembered for her goodness and charity. Therefore, if any of us were to die tonight, what will you (the Reader) be remembered for?

Pot Smoker? Drug addict? Wasted life? Alcoholic? Grumpy, mean, intolerable, angry, selfish, read Galatians 5:19, 20, 21c for a better list – will that be what you are best remembered for?

Tabitha was raised from the dead to a new life due to her faith and devotion to Christ. We should likewise be remembered for the traits listed in Galatians 5:22, 23, 24, 25c rather remembered as a smoker, a joker, and mid night toker… gett’n your love’n on the run…

There are eternal consequences…
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:
RickD wrote:
Illicit drug use does that, prep the user to be open to demonic influences.
People develop psychological issues with illicit drug use as it opens the doorways into the demonic.
B.W., You've raised some interesting questions, in my mind. You mention "illicit" drug use, as causing the problems you describe.

1) Why did you preface those statements with "illicit"?

2) Is it only illegal drugs that you're talking about?(If pot was made legal, would that change your stance?)

3)At least on the tv stations I've been watching recently, it seems like there is a pill for everything being advertised. How does the "we've got a pill for everything" kind of mentality, fit into what you're saying?

4) How does one make the distinction between illicit, and legal drugs?

Thanks

To answer: illicit defined as per context of Gal 5:20 case.

Mind altering drugs do open a person up to debasement… as well as can damage DNA, cells, etc and etc…

Morphine, pain killers, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, amphetamines, etc, of the schedule 2 category class can fall into this group when used for abuse. These hurt the abusers and those closest to the users in varied ways: fruit is – ruin, destruction, potential robbed, and death. Wasted life.

In Acts 9:36 Tabitha died and was remembered for her goodness and charity. Therefore, if any of us were to die tonight, what will you (the Reader) be remembered for?

Pot Smoker? Drug addict? Wasted life? Alcoholic? Grumpy, mean, intolerable, angry, selfish, read Galatians 5:19, 20, 21c for a better list – will that be what you are best remembered for?

Tabitha was raised from the dead to a new life due to her faith and devotion to Christ. We should likewise be remembered for the traits listed in Galatians 5:22, 23, 24, 25c rather remembered as a smoker, a joker, and mid night toker… gett’n your love’n on the run…

There are eternal consequences…
-
-
-
Thanks' B.W.
Oh, by the way B.W., You're the cutest thing I ever did see
Really love your peaches want to shake your tree
:P

-Edward R Murrow

DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

RickD wrote: Oh, by the way B.W., You're the cutest thing I ever did see
:pound: Rick, I'm thinking you've been hanging around too many queer folk...
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DannyM wrote:
Danny, now I've got that Joker song stuck in my head. y#-o

-Edward R Murrow

DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

RickD wrote:
DannyM wrote:
:lol: Are you a midnight toker, Brother?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DannyM wrote:
RickD wrote:
DannyM wrote:
:lol: Are you a midnight toker, Brother?
What is it with these songs getting stuck in my head? Jlay got a New Kids on The Block, song stuck in my head before. :lalala: :dancing:

-Edward R Murrow

DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

RickD wrote:What is it with these songs getting stuck in my head? Jlay got a New Kids on The Block, song stuck in my head before. :lalala: :dancing:
Yeah I can see Jlay being a BIG FAN of them... :pound: Personally I'm keen on Jenny Lo from the block!
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DannyM wrote:
RickD wrote:What is it with these songs getting stuck in my head? Jlay got a New Kids on The Block, song stuck in my head before. :lalala: :dancing:
Yeah I can see Jlay being a BIG FAN of them... :pound: Personally I'm keen on Jenny Lo from the block!
That's funny, Danny, because you strike me as more of a 'Wham!' kind of guy. y:-?
Wake me up before you go-go
Don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo...

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Y'all sound like a bunch of Christians on drugs.

(my way of bringing the thread back to topic :lol: ).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.