My Dad

Post all your prayer requests and responses here.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

My Dad

Post by Storyteller »

Guys...
My dad is dying.
I have had no contact with my family for years, and God help me, I haven't wanted to (long story) I have been trying to forgive them, to offer it all up to God.
I found out last night that my dad now has cancer that has spread to his bones. He has been given between three months and a year.
I feel so many conflicting emotions.
I feel numb mostly, or pain, or anger, and confusion.

Pray for me, for clarity, strength and wisdom as I sort out how I feel. Please.

I will try and explain this all a bit better later but I'd appreciate your prayers anyway.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: My Dad

Post by Philip »

Annette, so sorry to hear this. We've really missed you around here! You had previously explained the coldness you've been shown, so devastating. Certainly we'll lift you up! I hope other things and your health have been better.

Philip
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Its been just over a year since my dad died of cancer.

A few people said to make sure that nothing is left unsaid. And up to a point I would agree with that. But the harsh reality is that you cant just undo the past because someone is now dying. Some things maybe able to get healed before he dies and I hope thats true in this case with your dad.

I just wish I had been more prepared.

Thinking of you.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

My prayers for you Annete.

Maybe you will find peace with your Dad.
May you have lot of strength Annette to carry the light of Christ in you.

Love and many hugs,
Hana
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

My Dad doesn't believe in God, and it is that, more than anything, breaks my heart.
Guys.. tonight I am drinking, deliberately, to get drunk. I'm smoking, delibetately to get high.
It says somewhere, I am the omega, the beginning and the end.
God is, was, and always will be. God is eternal. Existence. Timeless.
So, there has always got be hope, right?
Christ looked for that one lamb, God created us all, loves us all, eternally. If God is eternal, then there is always hope. I hope.

I feel so vulnerable, so exposed, so raw..... yet there is something compelling me to reveal it, to face it. We all have gifts, maybe mine is my vulnerabilty.

Even as I challenge Him, test Him, wanna hide from Him, He is always there, waiting.
Know what it is? I'm ashamed. Of me, who I am yet I know He loves me. Through Christ I really can stand proud in front of God and say I am His.

I pray my Dad finds Him.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Annette, I wish I knew what to say to ease your pain. Please don't medicate yourself - that's not going to solve anything. Actually, it won't make anything go away, either. The devil wants you to think that these crutches are the solution - and you know they aren't. With our loved ones, we are to do our part - pray for them, talk to them about Christ it they'll let you - but they must do their part, in adjusting their hearts and minds toward Christ. We can't change them, while perhaps God can use us to influence them, to seek Him out. Perhaps write him a note, telling him, even now, that you love him (an enormously powerful thing, given how he's treated you) - and that God does - that all he has to do is open his heart to the Lord, even if in a cynical test - as if he wants to know, God will show him. I think if you do that, you'll not have any regrets. And for him, who knows how powerful the impact might be. He's still here, there's still opportunity. And you may well never know the outcome - not on this earth. I'm praying for you, you dad and mum - was earlier today, as well. y@};-
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

My dear Annette,
we all are human beings. Vulnerable, with heart and emotions.
There is always hope.
My Tomas could have died any day on his (for his diagnosis) really long journey. I never pushed him, that is how I felt to do. Yet, God gave me opportinities from time to time to speak a little bit. But maybe mostly it were my deeds of love that had most impact.
Annette, please try to find peace, pray to our Father, listen to your heart. He will lead you. Maybe, you will forgive your dad, tell it to him, and who knows, what will happen.
I can only imagine how hard it is.
Please, reach out to us all. Here or privately. This is very hard and important part of your life.
I reached out to my all friends when was in need. And hey, was a great help.
We are all brothers and sisters here.

Love you,
my dear sister
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Storyteller wrote:My Dad doesn't believe in God, and it is that, more than anything, breaks my heart.
Guys.. tonight I am drinking, deliberately, to get drunk. I'm smoking, delibetately to get high.
Christ looked for that one lamb, God created us all, loves us all, eternally. If God is eternal, then there is always hope. I hope.

I feel so vulnerable, so exposed, so raw..... yet there is something compelling me to reveal it, to face it. We all have gifts, maybe mine is my vulnerabilty.

Even as I challenge Him, test Him, wanna hide from Him, He is always there, waiting.
Know what it is? I'm ashamed. Of me, who I am yet I know He loves me. Through Christ I really can stand proud in front of God and say I am His.

I pray my Dad finds Him.
God KNOWS Us.
He knows why we believe and, more importantly perhaps, why some choose not to.
Trust in Christ.
Doing something that displeases God won't help your Dad.
Pray to God to forgive him, of course.
Pray for God to always remember Him ( He does), always.
But never, ever, allow for self-pity into your life or to affect your faith.
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

Storyteller wrote:My Dad doesn't believe in God, and it is that, more than anything, breaks my heart.

I pray my Dad finds Him.
Have you tried pleading with your Dad to turn to God before it's too late?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Blessed wrote:

I pray my Dad finds Him.
Have you tried pleading with your Dad to turn to God before it's too late?
Im not sure pleading is the right response,

You can plead with an anorexic to eat but will it help?

Is the pleading for them or you?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

We should pray for Annette strength and her dad to open his ears.

Send me either a PM or email Annette...

So sorry you are going through this right now.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

Nessa wrote:
Im not sure pleading is the right response,

You can plead with an anorexic to eat but will it help?

Is the pleading for them or you?
For both.. His eternal disposition, her peace of mind.

Funny you should mention anorexic, I had an exgf who was anorexic once. She was a Ballerina.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Annette,

How are you doing?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Hey guys...
I'm hurting, I'm angry, and confused.
This has reopened a lot of old wounds that I thought were healed, or at least healing. I still feel so much resentment towards them, my mum especially. I am praying for strength to forgive them, to understand but I struggle. I don't want them in my life, there is too much pain.
Dad isn't in a good way, almost blind, tired, in pain and has had a few falls.

I'm trying to just concentrate on loving him, forgiving him but I admit I'm finding it hard.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Hey guys...
I'm hurting, I'm angry, and confused.
This has reopened a lot of old wounds that I thought were healed, or at least healing. I still feel so much resentment towards them, my mum especially. I am praying for strength to forgive them, to understand but I struggle. I don't want them in my life, there is too much pain.
Dad isn't in a good way, almost blind, tired, in pain and has had a few falls.

I'm trying to just concentrate on loving him, forgiving him but I admit I'm finding it hard.
Annette,

There's no reason you have to have a relationship with those who hurt you. Especially as badly as it seems they've hurt you. If anything, you just need to forgive them for your own well being. Forgive and give it to God, before it eats you up.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony