For This Saturday (1/25), in a Half Marathon

Post all your prayer requests and responses here.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

For This Saturday (1/25), in a Half Marathon

Post by PeteSinCA »

Not momentous, but I will be walking/running in a half marathon in a couple of days. It will be my first trail walk/run, so I'm hoping it doesn't kick my tail, but can do well.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Re: For This Saturday (1/25), in a Half Marathon

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Are you alright?! What spirit possessed you to practice this form of self-torture?

FL :spin:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I will pray for you Pete. I will pray that you come to your senses before you inflict that kind of pain on yourself! At your age you should be in shuffleboard competitions. Or bingo at the local Elks Lodge. Does insanity run in your family? y:O2
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Het Pete

I run every weekend for about 10km, running helps me clear my mind through meditation and prayer. I always feel closer to God after spending that time with him.

This year I am doing the Puffing Billy fun run, I can't wait to run.

You have my prayers buddy.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Hope it goes well.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

Thanks, guys - including the chain-jerkers! I went into it some here. The big picture into which that fits is that I've been overweight or very overweight at least since I was what now would be called a preschooler. Self-control in eating is not something of which I could ever have been accused until recently (and I'm still working on it!). And exercise, other than what was incidental to whatever I was doing, was something I had hardly ever done since high school. 2002 brought a big shock that started me toward changing. In December I was helped in my son's Eagle Project (Scouting). I was definitely less than happy with what I was able to contribute in work - not sloughing, just not happy with myself. Then came Christmas Day, and that evening I had to go to the ER, where I learned that I had had a mild (for that context) heart attack. My weight, when I was in the ER bed, was ~345 lbs.! A week and angioplasty later, I was down ~15 lbs.. Come 8 years later, I was down another 20, but not by serious effort. Finally I started watching what and how much I ate and started exercising. Now I'm down 80-90 lbs., and want to lose more (I'm not nuts, I'm still 30-40 lbs. overweight by the height-weight chart for men). Walking - on the treadmill at the gym, walking around our neighborhood, 10Ks and half-marathons - are part of my ongoing effort to lose more. From October, 2012 through October, 2013, I did 3 half marathons. This year I'm hoping to do 5-7, step things up a bit.

Now to get my tail out the door for a bit of a walk (nothing challenging, just a sort of warm-up for tomorrow).
Soapy Pete's Box

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

If you've lost that much weight from all that walking, I'm happy for you. I was only joking about the torture. I go running myself. It's not just exercise for me, it allows me time alone, and helps me focus and think more clearly.

Anyways, let us know how it goes. And post your time too.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

Well, my tail didn't get kicked, but I sure heard the tail-kicking machine coming up behind me a few times on hills. Anyway, my time was ~3 hours, 23 minutes (unofficial, but I checked my watch at the start and finish). That's my second best time for a half marathon, and this was my first trail run/walk. Thanks for the prayers! I am spent ...
Soapy Pete's Box

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

PeteSinCA wrote:Well, my tail didn't get kicked, but I sure heard the tail-kicking machine coming up behind me a few times on hills. Anyway, my time was ~3 hours, 23 minutes (unofficial, but I checked my watch at the start and finish). That's my second best time for a half marathon, and this was my first trail run/walk. Thanks for the prayers! I am spent ...
Congratulations mate and well done. :clap:

Onwards and upwards.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

I should start running too. :econfused:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Pete,

It seems you're not the only crazy person I know, who does half marathons. I went to the running specialty store yesterday to get myself some new running shoes. I was speaking with one of the owners of the store, and she's run 3 marathons, and many half marathons. Now she's crazy!

Run Forrest, run!!!!!

-Edward R Murrow

PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

PeteSinCA wrote:Well, my tail didn't get kicked, but I sure heard the tail-kicking machine coming up behind me a few times on hills. Anyway, my time was ~3 hours, 23 minutes (unofficial, but I checked my watch at the start and finish). That's my second best time for a half marathon, and this was my first trail run/walk. Thanks for the prayers! I am spent ...
Official time: 3:22:34 ... I was the second to the last in finishing (no surprise to me, as I'm a walker, they had a separate start for walkers and hikers, and I think trail runner-walkers are a bit more gung-ho than I've been).
Soapy Pete's Box

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

PeteSinCA wrote:Official time: 3:22:34 ... I was the second to the last in finishing (no surprise to me, as I'm a walker, they had a separate start for walkers and hikers, and I think trail runner-walkers are a bit more gung-ho than I've been).
At least you finished ahead of that Loser!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
At least you finished ahead of that Loser!
:pound: :pound: :pound:

I haven't laughed that hard in a while! Thanks FL!
Pete wrote:
Official time: 3:22:34 ... I was the second to the last in finishing (no surprise to me, as I'm a walker, they had a separate start for walkers and hikers, and I think trail runner-walkers are a bit more gung-ho than I've been).
Pete,

It's a good thing you had your 102 year old grandmother walking with you, or you would've taken last place for sure!

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:Pete,It's a good thing you had your 102 year old grandmother walking with you, or you would've taken last place for sure!
:pound:

I'm not sure Pete appreciates our humor. He is , after all, a moderator on a humorless Republican forum. :evilnod:

FL

+ + +

+ + +