Doings of the Spirit

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Shirtless
Established Member
Christian: No

Doings of the Spirit

Post by Shirtless »

Until a few days ago when I read the article on the Holy Spirit, I had no idea what the Spirit was, or what his purpose was (as of a year ago, I was an Atheist, so be kind :wink: ). But now I know that the Spirit is the part of the Trinity you're filled with as a Christian, and it can guide you through trouble.

This was great news for me, because I would have a presentation on Old Earth Creationism, for the purpose of giving my world religion class a taste of the less-than-standard views of Christianity, and all the errors the Professor says it has. I now knew exactly how to pray: "God, let your Spirit guide me. Help steady my hand and give me the confidence to go on." This was an important presentation because for the whole semester I had been hearing the same old white-bred interpretations of Genesis from the others, and I just sat there.

Today was that day and, well, it all went so-so. I don't know if the Spirit was with me or not, but I had a nervous voice that I knew would make others uncomfortable, but I couldn't help it. There were other problems too. It sure could have been worse, but I just don't think that way; I found myself thinking I was a complete idiot, that I didn't do this right, and I looked the wrong way when that happened. Even on the drive home, I was saying "Why couldn't I just keep my ****ing mouth shut about that one part?"

For the longest time I was praying that God help me feel better, but I found myself wondering if the Spirit doesn't work that way. I know I have to accept what God wills, and that he works in mysterious ways, blah blah blah...but damn it, this is a hectic week for me, and I could use the boost!

I am starting to wonder what praying is all about. I mean, if I asked others to pray for a friend who's gone astray, would the Spirit be more likely to respond than if I prayed alone?

P.S. I could use some praying help with a take-home Final for Photoshop class...it's huge and and I don't know if I'll get so much as half of it done on time.
Shirtless
Established Member

Post by Shirtless »

Wow. You mods should cut back on the censoring. What I ment to say was I felt like a complete

"I - D - I - O - T"!!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

:lol: There is a word censor. Usually people call others that, and so if censored the recipient won't usually feel as offended.

Anyway, it's great you spoke to the class. Don't be too hard on yourself, as while it is up to us to do the best we can at presenting the Gospel and removing stumbling blocks for others, it is also the Spirit's job to draw people in. Just by giving a different view, you no doubt challenged many to see the creation in a different and more respectable light.

You may have seen several mistakes you made, or you could have said this word rather than that, or if only you could have said what you've thought about now when giving the presentation. All this helps for next time. While you're all about trying to impart light to others, you are also learning how to convey different things better—a never-ending lesson.

Anyway, I think you should be applauding yourself. It takes guts to do what you did.

Kurieuo.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

the more people praying the merrier.
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

Just let the Spirit guide you! Perhaps God wanted you to mess up like that because He has something else, much greater than that presentation, in store for you. Simply because you stumble doesn't mean you'll fall to the ground! The Spirit will guide you to what is truly great and what will truly make you happy. Do not fret about simple things like this, it will all work out in the end to your advantage.

About prayer from other people: Sure! It won't make God hear any clearer (because God already hears you loud and clear) but it will show you really are concerned about something. You're probably not Catholic but what they do is they ask saints (who are now not on this Earth) that are in heaven to pray for them too! So not only would you ask friends to pray for you, but you'd also ask the Christians in heaven to pray for you as well!

Also, the best thing to do during a test is to take the first few minutes of it and use them to submit to God. Usually I ask him to guide me and admit my ignorance, I put my entire mind in His hands and just let Him do the work. To date I haven't received a test grade below a 90% when I pray to God during it ;)
Shirtless
Established Member

Post by Shirtless »

Kurieuo wrote:Anyway, I think you should be applauding yourself. It takes guts to do what you did.
Gee, thanks! But I'll applaud when I exceed my expectations, not go below them. I've tried the reverse psychology already to no avail. I just don't understand how the Spirit could forsake me :shock: while I'm, of all things, talking about God to a secular audience.
Dan wrote:You're probably not Catholic but what they do is they ask saints (who are now not on this Earth) that are in heaven to pray for them too!
Naw, I'm not Catholic. I know a Catholic guy in class who I talk to about religious stuff often, a really nice guy. Sadly, he went from the Genesis interpretation of "What's a day in the eye's of God?" as of a few months ago, to "You know, I'm starting to believe the Earth really is 6,000 years old." So it's understandable why he was a bit mellow by the time I was done. Also, the presentation had a very anti-establishment attitude (hint hint).
To date I haven't received a test grade below a 90% when I pray to God during it
Wow, and to think, all this time I've been studying like a sucker! :wink:
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

The holy spirit will not help you if you do not trust it completely. I should know.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Well, It sometimes helps you of its own free will (I know it helped me go through a terrible time in high school and I had no idea what it was until much later), but most of the time you need to trust that it will help you. To show fear and worry is to show that you do not trust it completely. It's basic human instinct, but it's still a barrier that needs to be overcome.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Shirtless
Established Member

Post by Shirtless »

To show fear and worry is to show that you do not trust it completely.
Good point. I always thought that loyalty would best describe it best (at least in the early stages, then it becomes real trust) - that makes me think you might enjoy the audio file called "How Faith Works" found here: http://www.tektonics.org/audio/audio.html

or the essay found here: http://www.tektonics.org/whatis/whatfaith.html