Pope John Paul II dies

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

My bad seedling, it sounded like that's what you were implying. But, and this is a big butt, Jesus was not just a good man (and, by the way, I am a son of man, too....it basically means I'm born from a human :wink: ). The idea that you can save yourself, in a sense, is ridiculous. If you walk upon a man going under in quicksand, and he shouts for help, you'd be silly if you said, "Don't worry, pick yourself up!" 8) To me, at least.
The one mistake all of you are making is a lack of perception of personal religion as a process.
This is why you listen to your elders-chances are they're right (unless you're asking them about calculus, forget it).
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Son of Man in the context Jesus used it means "heir of a great king or lord". I highly doubt you qualify as the son of man kmart. No offense.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Don't ruin my dream Mastermind. The sun'll come out, tomorrow, dry up all the rain and sorrow.... :roll:

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

I was always under the impression son of man just meant born of man...

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I don't think men can give birth...
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

ManKIND, thimble brain.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
j316
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by j316 »

Mastermind wrote:
Mastermind wrote:Son of Man in the context Jesus used it means "heir of a great king or lord". I highly doubt you qualify as the son of man kmart. No offense.
I am curious where you got this interpretation and what it means. I have never completely understood just what that phrase does imply.
atheist
Recognized Member

Post by atheist »

Do you think that people turn to religion or a belief in "God" because they see the inequity and uncertainty of this life and hope that "God" or whoever, whatever, will one day be the great Equalizer?
Oh, I can clearly see this feeling and it is very human indeed. A sense of justice so strong that that one thinks it's gotta exist beyond us. That's why it's so difficult for us to see the dog eat dog and survival of the fittest in the order of Nature. The problem is that, no matter what our wishes are, Nature doesn't consider them. The universe doesn't care about our hopes and fears, or our sense of equity. Assuming this has also liberating effects. An Equalizer probably would inflict more injustice in the process of giving everyone what everyone deserves.
atheist
Recognized Member

Post by atheist »

Atheist, you don't realize where you are at this point spiritually, you can now welcome a real Lord, one who definitely does exist.
Wow! An amazing comment, your whole post, j316. :) Of course, now I remain open to any possibility. This was not the case before, when I was into the dogmatic pressure of religion. You never know... Perhaps it's "atheist today, believer tomorrow". The key is not to close paths innecesarily. :wink:
seedling
Recognized Member

Post by seedling »

An Equalizer probably would inflict more injustice in the process of giving everyone what everyone deserves.
Maybe the "Equalizer" wouldn't necessarily be the "Judge of all things" that doles out rewards or punishments. Maybe the "creator" as a "person" (concept) isn't necessarily the equalizer. Maybe something else is ... maybe something inside of us.

And I really enjoyed J316's post also.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

Would you accept judgement by an ethical and loving God, I would in a heartbeat.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

j316 wrote:Mastermind wrote:
Mastermind wrote:Son of Man in the context Jesus used it means "heir of a great king or lord". I highly doubt you qualify as the son of man kmart. No offense.
I am curious where you got this interpretation and what it means. I have never completely understood just what that phrase does imply.
JP Holding.

http://www.tektonics.org/jesusclaims/sonofman.html
seedling
Recognized Member

Post by seedling »

Hi J316,

If there is an ethical and loving "God", or whatever human attributes you want to prescribe to him, I guess I would have no choice but to be "judged" by him, now would I? It's not what I want or don't want ... HE is the all-powerful one. It is what HE would want if he is indeed the "Judge." There is nothing I can do about it.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

Thanks Mastermind, it happens that I ran across that just yesterday. An interesting exposition and quite believable.

I tend to evaluate things like that as to whether or not it makes sense in the context of the story and the idea of Jesus using that phrase in that manner is consistent with His style.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

Seedling, there is something you can do about it and it goes right to the heart of true religion. You can welcome it and rejoice.