Pope John Paul II dies

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
atheist
Recognized Member

Pope John Paul II dies

Post by atheist »

84-year-old pontiff, head of the Catholic Church, died today April 2 2005 at 2:37 ET after battling Parkinson's disease, infection and a failing heart.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Re: Pope John Paul II dies

Post by Believer »

atheist wrote:84-year-old pontiff, head of the Catholic Church, died today April 2 2005 at 2:37 ET after battling Parkinson's disease, infection and a failing heart.
Atheist,

Don't mean to be rude, but do you, being an atheist, have ANY sympathy for him as a religious leader and a GREAT man or do you just think of him as a hunk of meat that is PERMANENTLY dead and has no afterlife?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I think he might have been just reporting on something that is seems important to at least the media and Catholics....
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Darwin_Rocks
Recognized Member

Post by Darwin_Rocks »

I wonder if any of the major news networks will cover the election of the new Pope. I read that Angels and Demons book by Dan Brown and since have had an interest in the ceremony.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

How does the ceremony goes, and what seems so interesting about them? All I know is smoke is involved....I think. :P

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

They sacrifice atheists. True story.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

OK, who let Mastermind out of his cage....

That was funny by the way....

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

120 cardinals from all over the world will come to Rome and vote on the new pontif. This happens 25-30 days after the earlier Pope has left us. They will have intercessions of prayer and voting on the new pope, each time a supermajority (2/3 of the vote) fails to be reached, the ballots will be mixed with chemicals and burned so the smoke is black, this means the pope has not been chosen yet. After each failed vote, the cardinals will have a session of prayer and discussion for spiritual guidance, then they will vote again.

After many cycles of this process, if the pope is not selected, the supermajority requirement is dropped and the candidate with the most votes is elected pope. When he is selected, the ballots are burned to produce white smoke, the pope has been chosen.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

If these cardinals are really seeking God's will, and not there own, why isn't there a 100% vote for one pope, and why must they revote until they give up and pick the guy with the most popularity?

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I don't know, but I'm sure they're willing to reconsider the entire process since your Highness is unsatisifed with it.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

The Lord doesn't make every intention of His clear-cut after the Bible. The cardinals know God's will, they just think there are certain ones amongst them that would carry it out better than others.

Also God has a hand in choosing the Pope, the circumstances surrounding Karol's rise to the Papacy (and then being named John Paul II) are extraordinary and pretty cool.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Mastermind wrote:I don't know, but I'm sure they're willing to reconsider the entire process since your Highness is unsatisifed with it.
Take a laxative and run off Mastermind.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Darwin_Rocks
Recognized Member

Post by Darwin_Rocks »

Maybe they should scrap that old ceremony and replace it with one that entire world can enjoy...

POTENTIAL PONTIFF DEATH SPORTS!

Think about it, all the potential popes go into a huge ring and fight to the death, the winner is the last man standing.

An array of weapons could scatter the arena as well, Samurai Sword, pieces of wood with nails sticking out of them...The possibilities are endless.
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

Darwin_Rocks wrote:Maybe they should scrap that old ceremony and replace it with one that entire world can enjoy...

POTENTIAL PONTIFF DEATH SPORTS!

Think about it, all the potential popes go into a huge ring and fight to the death, the winner is the last man standing.

An array of weapons could scatter the arena as well, Samurai Sword, pieces of wood with nails sticking out of them...The possibilities are endless.
Get thee behind me Darwin.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Or maybe they can put Kmart in the middle of the ring, and each cardinal makes a YEC joke, points at him and laughs. The cardinal with the joke that finally makes Kmart cry wins.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?