A charge against the Trinity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

A charge against the Trinity

Post by Christian2 »

I'm discussing Christianity with someone who said:

"Three separate persons as One God is an anthropomorphic polytheistic concept. Jesus Christ is depicted as a distinct separate Deity. Actually very similar to Hindu beliefs that the different Gods are aspects of the one Brahman."

I don't have the background to reply.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: A charge against the Trinity

Post by Philip »

Christian2, you might look through the following to better explain the Trinity from a Biblical perspective:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Trinity-Bible.html

https://www.gotquestions.org/Tritheism-Trinity.html
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Philip wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:47 pm Christian2, you might look through the following to better explain the Trinity from a Biblical perspective:

Thanks.

It didn't help. He said he grew up Catholic. I gave up.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Sounds like JW influence.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Christian2 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:11 am
Philip wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:47 pm Christian2, you might look through the following to better explain the Trinity from a Biblical perspective:

Thanks.

It didn't help. He said he grew up Catholic. I gave up.
Hopefully he learned enough as a Catholic, to understand the basics of the Trinity. As K said, he’s probably been influenced by Jehovah’s Witnesses.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Actually, this person is a Baha'i.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I was thinking a few days ago, and see this again so...

Maybe it is best to get a person who disagrees with the Trinity to at least get them to understand the differences between God as a trinity versus God as a unity. Whether or not God as a trinity is to them still polytheism, well that's up to them if that's how they see it. Yet, strictly speaking, God as a Trinity is still mono (one) theism (God) given "God" is a nature like being "Human" is our nature. The difference is only that we believe God is one eternal nature that is multi-personal, rather than believing God's nature is 1:1 in person (like our human nature is 1:1 in person).

Logically speaking, since we Trinitarians believe God is one in "nature", such that we all say "there is one God", then we're monotheists. That's not an argument, but rather it is what it logically is -- a Trinitiarian conception with God is still under the umbrella of "monotheism". As to whether or not they believe God is 1:1 as a person -- one in nature as well as one person -- that's a different question. We're mono-theists (one-God believers), not mono-person-theists.

Those who believe God must be one in person are making a claim that the nature of any intelligent being must necessarily have a 1:1 consciousness. Yet, why must that be the case? Especially with God who isn't a creature like us, animals, etc. Until one extends their thoughts to reflect upon how a multi-personal being differs to a singular-personal being like us humans, then they will only ever see Trinity as polytheism, but that's simply due to a true ignorance.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Especially liked

"...one in nature as well as one person -- that's a different question. We're mono-theists (one-God believers), not mono-person-theists.."
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Thanks Nessa, I like that you liked. :)

I feel some who believe The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are God, may shy away or feel awkward when charged with polytheism. Even I have at times, as there certainly is a "poly" aspect to the Trinity, but it is only as it applies to the persons, not God. There aren't three "Gods" that we believe in. We believe in one God, and one God only, so we really shouldn't be shy to adamantly claim we're monotheists.

People who claim we're not monotheists, it shows more a lack of understanding on their part of what the Trinity is and/or a narrow or biassed ontological understanding of 'person' as it relates to 'being'.

God is Greater
God is Greater
god-is-greater.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 16593 times
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Nessa wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:57 pm Especially liked

"...one in nature as well as one person -- that's a different question. We're mono-theists (one-God believers), not mono-person-theists.."

You liked that I liked your comment so I like that you liked me liking your comment 😜