Can you live a sinless life after salvation

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jpbg33
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Post by jpbg33 »

My question is can someone live a sinless life after salvation. I believe the Bible teaches you can.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:My question is can someone live a sinless life after salvation. I believe the Bible teaches you can.
And I believe that you need to prove your assertion.

Let's see how you butcher scripture to justify this one.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

Revelations 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:Revelations 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
And what in proper context of Revelation 2, leads you to believe that verse is talking about an individual believer's sinless life after salvation?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

Your problem is you are contexting your self out of the truth

keepeth my works unto the end

There is only one thing that can mean.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Where in the bible does it say that believers will be sinless in this life ??
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

This is one that talks about people who do

Revelations 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

jpbg33 wrote:This is one that talks about people who do

Rev 2:18-29 is written to the Church (Assembly) identified as Thyatira - see below from the NASB

Rev 2:18 "And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write: The Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet are like burnished bronze, says this:
Rev 2:19 'I know your deeds, and your love and faith and service and perseverance, and that your deeds of late are greater than at first.
Rev 2:20 'But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols.
Rev 2:21 'I gave her time to repent, and she does not want to repent of her immorality.
Rev 2:22 'Behold, I will throw her on a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of her deeds.
Rev 2:23 'And I will kill her children with pestilence, and all the churches will know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts; and I will give to each one of you according to your deeds.
Rev 2:24 'But I say to you, the rest who are in Thyatira, who do not hold this teaching, who have not known the deep things of Satan, as they call them--I place no other burden on you.
Rev 2:25 'Nevertheless what you have, hold fast until I come.
Rev 2:26 'He who overcomes, and he who keeps My deeds until the end, TO HIM I WILL GIVE AUTHORITY OVER THE NATIONS;
Rev 2:27 AND HE SHALL RULE THEM WITH A ROD OF IRON, AS THE VESSELS OF THE POTTER ARE BROKEN TO PIECES, as I also have received authority from My Father;
Rev 2:28 and I will give him the morning star.
Rev 2:29 'He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'
NASB

These verses have nothing to do with being sinless perfect in his life but rather for a certain type of people in an assembly overcoming at the time of the end of this current age.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

jpbg33 wrote:My question is can someone live a sinless life after salvation. I believe the Bible teaches you can.
1 John 1:8 states: "...If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us." NASB

1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us." NASB

No, it is clear that we cannot live 100 percent of the time in this mortal life in a sinlessly perfect state.

However, one can overcome sins, and live without sin for brief moments in this mortal life. Like Pastor Dr. Charles Stanley said once during a church service, " How many of you sinned in the last 5 minutes of this message?"

No one raised their hands so He responded, "See you can live without sin for at least 5 minutes..."

Basically the bible reveals that we are to sin less than the day before but this does not mean one can ever be totally sinless in this mortal life.

That is why John wrote what he wrote in 1 John chapter one.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I was hoping someone would being that up.

I believe John was referring to people who were saying they didn't sin so they didn't need a savior.

He obviously didn't believe Christians went around sinning.

He was the one that said Those in Christ do not sin , if you sin you are of the devil and We do not sin here by we know we are in Him.

If you were to take that verse the way you are wonting to then you are saying that Jesus does not forgive all sin.

For that verse to really mean that every human always has sin in there life then that would mean that when you are saved you are only forgiven of at best most sin.

We all konw that Jesus washes away all our sin when we are saved. So that is how we know John was not referring to Christians living with sin but people saying they didn't need a savior because they do not sin.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

So, at what point does a Christian NOT sin anymore?
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

There is no point in time that a Christian is above sinning untill they are in heaven but that does not mean that they have to sin.

There is a big difference in the possibility of sinning and the impossible of not sinning.

That is why the Bible says Jesus is our advicet with the Father. The Bible said "if we sin" not that "we couldn't help but sin".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

jpbg33 wrote:There is no point in time that a Christian is above sinning untill they are in heaven but that does not mean that they have to sin.

There is a big difference in the possibility of sinning and the impossible of not sinning.

That is why the Bible says Jesus is our advicet with the Father. The Bible said "if we sin" not that "we couldn't help but sin".
So, your view is that, when a person comes a Christian that He or She is not SUPPOSED to sin?
They still MIGHT sin of course, but that they know better and must try not to, yes?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

-Edward R Murrow

jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

RickD how long did it take you to find out your competitor had a camera.

I do not believe that you cry not to sin to be saved or to stay saved.

But I do believe that if you are saved then you will cry not to sin because you love God.

There is a big difference in doing something because you love someone and doing something because you have to.