The mustard seed parable is it incorrect or not?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jpbg33
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

The mustard seed parable is it incorrect or not?

Post by jpbg33 »

The parable of the mustard seed

Some say that the Bible is false because if it were true then Jesus would have known that the mustard seed was not the smartest seed of all and the it would not grow into a tree.

At first glance they would seem to be right but they are not.

Jesus said that that the mustard seed was the smartest seed and that it would grow into a tree and in saying that Jesus was 100% right.

How do I get that we'll let me explain

First Jesus was not blind He could see grass that grow with smaller seeds then the mustard seed. Jesus said that if a man plant a mustard seed so he was talking about seed you plant and the mustard seed was the smartest seed that they planted in that area at that time.

So what He was saying was that the mustard seed was the smartest seed of all the seeds that they planted not that it was the smartest seed of all plants on earth.

Second He wasn't saying it was a tree he was just referring to how big it would get. They can grow as big as 20 feet tall and 20 feet around and given the right sircomstanses they can grow up to 30 feet tall. That was what He meat by calling it a tree.

So you can see Jesus was not incorrect at all in that parable.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: The mustard seed parable is it incorrect or not?

Post by B. W. »

jpbg33 wrote:The parable of the mustard seed

Some say that the Bible is false because if it were true then Jesus would have known that the mustard seed was not the smartest seed of all and the it would not grow into a tree.

At first glance they would seem to be right but they are not.

Jesus said that that the mustard seed was the smartest seed and that it would grow into a tree and in saying that Jesus was 100% right.

How do I get that we'll let me explain

First Jesus was not blind He could see grass that grow with smaller seeds then the mustard seed. Jesus said that if a man plant a mustard seed so he was talking about seed you plant and the mustard seed was the smartest seed that they planted in that area at that time.

So what He was saying was that the mustard seed was the smartest seed of all the seeds that they planted not that it was the smartest seed of all plants on earth.

Second He wasn't saying it was a tree he was just referring to how big it would get. They can grow as big as 20 feet tall and 20 feet around and given the right sircomstanses they can grow up to 30 feet tall. That was what He meat by calling it a tree.

So you can see Jesus was not incorrect at all in that parable.

How much faith does a Mustard seed have?

Answer: Enough faith to grow into what it is meant to be

That is the point of the parable, not the size of the seed but rather, enough faith to grow into what the seed is meant to be.

Blessings...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I am not saying anything about the meaning He was bringing across by the parable but that He was right on the size of the seed and the part about the tree
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

Growing up I always understood this parable as being a small faith will move mountains, then I changed with an understanding that mustard seeds grow into a tree so it meant a faith that grows into something substantial but then I grew more in maturity, faith and understanding and realised that mustard trees aren't big. Many trees, most trees are significantly bigger, they grow taller and their branches reach further so big showy branches of faith and big tall proclamations of belief isn't the lesson.
Mustard trees are unique for two reasons;
They have strong roots
And they cultivate the soil significantly for future plantation.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

melanie wrote:Growing up I always understood this parable as being a small faith will move mountains, then I changed with an understanding that mustard seeds grow into a tree so it meant a faith that grows into something substantial but then I grew more in maturity, faith and understanding and realised that mustard trees aren't big. Many trees, most trees are significantly bigger, they grow taller and their branches reach further so big showy branches of faith and big tall proclamations of belief isn't the lesson.
Mustard trees are unique for two reasons;
They have strong roots
And they cultivate the soil significantly for future plantation.
...and add to this, Mel, the Mustard seed grows into something beneficial as it's designer designed it be :)
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

That is fine but still Jesus was right in what he said is my point there was no mistake
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Jesus used the mustard seed because it was the smallest seed know to his audience.
It's just that simple.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

You are right