To war or not to war

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

To war or not to war

Post by ultimate777 »

Suppose you are trying to decide if you will fight in a war, and even which side you will fight on?
You believe God would decide when and if you are to killed or maimed
and you have nothing to do with it, so relax and enjoy it.
Do you think that you would be able to decide whether or not to fight?
If so, might it be better to let the Lord take you doing something more enjoyable?

Does this remind you of anybody in American History I might just have been reading about? :ebiggrin:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Re: To war or not to war

Post by Nessa »

ultimate777 wrote:Suppose you are trying to decide if you will fight in a war, and even which side you will fight on?
Not sure I kinda believe we have nothing to do with it part
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

A stray or accurate bullet killing you is not God's doing it is the fella (free will) on the opposite side aiming at you.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

ultimate777 wrote:Suppose you are trying to decide if you will fight in a war, and even which side you will fight on?
If so, might it be better to let the Lord take you doing something more enjoyable?

Does this remind you of anybody in American History I might just have been reading about? :ebiggrin:
How about now...today 6/14/2017 around 8am EST ...

Rep. Mark Walker says gunman targeted congressional baseball practice 'to kill as many Republican members as possible

Is this justified?

LEFT-WING TWITTER CELEBRATES SHOOTING OF REP. SCALISE

You decide....

Propaganda does have intended consequences...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

B.W., are u suggesting Trump helped arrange this? Or did God allow it to show how bad US politics is getting?
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Stu wrote:A stray or accurate bullet killing you is not God's doing it is the fella (free will) on the opposite side aiming at you.
Stonewall Jackson might have felt differently, especially when the cannonball went between his legs in the Mexican War :lol:

He talked to his men like their fate was in God's hands, so don't be scared, fight.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

ultimate777 wrote:
Stu wrote:A stray or accurate bullet killing you is not God's doing it is the fella (free will) on the opposite side aiming at you.
Stonewall Jackson might have felt differently, especially when the cannonball went between his legs in the Mexican War :lol:

He talked to his men like their fate was in God's hands, so don't be scared, fight.
I'm not saying God doesn't intervene. Rather that He doesn't always intervene and that not everything happens for a reason. Sometimes life just happens.
Like the guy who accidentally shot his friend and killed him by mistake. Accidents happen.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

B. W. wrote:

How about now...today 6/14/2017 around 8am EST ...

Rep. Mark Walker says gunman targeted congressional baseball practice 'to kill as many Republican members as possible

Is this justified?

LEFT-WING TWITTER CELEBRATES SHOOTING OF REP. SCALISE

You decide....

Propaganda does have intended consequences...
-
-
-

Ohh good golly B.W if we started using random 'journalism' as propaganda to incite war which I don't think was even the point at hand but even so when one drags themselves away from the political folly of left vs right then perhaps a more spiritual approach may be taken.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Your conscience must drive you to decide what battles are worth fighting.
God will judge your actions based on your intent.
Some fight for liberation and others to survive, some fight for monetary gains and others to protect those that can't protect themselves.
The end results are the same: Death and Destruction.
The why's make all the difference in the eye's of God.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

In the current landscape with what equates to political, military and religious agenda, any real legitimate questions of Godliness is already lost in the question.......
'To war or not to war?'
Unless it's justified...Not
For imperialism justification seems to not be needed.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

PaulSacramento wrote:Your conscience must drive you to decide what battles are worth fighting.
Some fight for liberation and others to survive, some fight for monetary gains and others to protect those that can't protect themselves.
Unfortunately many soldiers of late have fought in wars that they would otherwise have choosen to not fight. The righteousness doesn't lie in the why but more so in duty. Which regretfully is still a noble position....but it doesn't make it justified
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

melanie wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Your conscience must drive you to decide what battles are worth fighting.
Unfortunately many soldiers of late have fought in wars that they would otherwise have choosen to not fight. The righteousness doesn't lie in the why but more so in duty. Which regretfully is still a noble position....but it doesn't make it justified
Every soldier has a choice as to wither he will fight in a war or not.
He many not like the consequences of those choices, but the choice is there.
Being a soldier ( I don't use warrior anymore since the nuance doesn't really exist anymore) is a noble profession, it protects those that can't protect themselves and defends liberty.
What is more noble?
Of course this is the IDEAL and not always the reality.
BUT isn't that the case with almost any profession?
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Stu wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:

I'm not saying God doesn't intervene. Rather that He doesn't always intervene and that not everything happens for a reason. Sometimes life just happens.
Like the guy who accidentally shot his friend and killed him by mistake. Accidents happen.

I don't believe in predestination, but a lot of people here do. Stonewall Jackson seemed to me to be more logically
consistent in that belief than almost anyone. I don't know if his decision to fight was he believed his decision or God's
but he believed what happened to him in battle was God's will and I imagine he would believe the same of the accidental shooting.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

There are only about 3 instances where you can kill and it is not murder in the eyes of God. 1.If you are apart of law enforcement upholding the laws of the land. 2.If you are a soldier in a war carrying out orders.3. Self Defense. Not all killing is murder in God's sight.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

abelcainsbrother wrote:There are only about 3 instances where you can kill and it is not murder in the eyes of God. 1.If you are apart of law enforcement upholding the laws of the land. 2.If you are a soldier in a war carrying out orders.3. Self Defense. Not all killing is murder in God's sight.
Does God decide whether or not you go to war? Does God decide whether
the cannonball takes off your legs, or goes through them?

That is pretty much why I started this thing.