Garden of Even in the Bible vs Qur'an

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Garden of Even in the Bible vs Qur'an

Post by Christian2 »

I'm not sure this is the right place for this topic, but I found out something in the past week that I had never known before in all the years I have studied Islam. I was looking at the Qur'an account of the Garden of Eden through the eyes of the Bible and something went over my head.

I learned this from two different Muslims on two different sites.

I knew the Qur'an only speaks of one tree in the Garden of Eden -- the Tree of Eternity -- I thought this is the Tree of Life.

I knew the Qur'an teaches that the Garden was in Paradise, not on earth.

I knew that the Qur'an does not mention the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, but I thought it referred to it without naming it. I was wrong.

The fruit of the forbidden tree was from the Tree of Eternity. This is the tree that Adam and Eve ate of. I didn't know that.

I'm going to copy some of the relevant verses from this site:

http://creation.com/the-koran-qur-an-vs-genesis

Bible:

Man was created on Earth, in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:8).

Qur'an:

Man was created in Paradise (‘janna’),1 not on Earth (first couple later banished to Earth, e.g. Koran 2:36).

Bible:

Prior to sin, Adam and Eve given free access to fruit of the ‘Tree of Life’ (Genesis 2:9, 16–17).

Qur'an:

The ‘Tree of Eternity’ (equated with giving eternal life in 7:20, hence comparable to the Biblical Tree of Life) was the Forbidden Tree (20:120).

Bible:

Forbidden tree clearly identified as ‘Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil’. ‘And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.”?’ (Genesis 2:16–17)

Qur'an:

No mention of the name ‘Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil’. Koran 7:19 ‘O Adam! Dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden, and enjoy (its good things) as ye wish: But approach not this tree, or ye run into harm and transgression.’ (Also 2:34).

(this tree is the Tree of Eternity)

Bible:

After the Fall, Adam and Eve still on Earth, but barred from Eden (Genesis 3:23–24).

Qur'an:

Adam and Eve were shifted from Paradise (not on Earth) down to Earth (7:24, also 2:36).

I was told that Adam and Eve were never meant to live forever in the Garden, contrary to the teachings of the Bible.

7:20 Then began Satan to whisper suggestions to them, bringing openly before their minds all their shame that was hidden from them (before): he said: "Your Lord only forbade you this tree, lest ye should become angels or such beings as live for ever."

7:22 So by deceit he brought about their fall: when they tasted of the tree, their shame became manifest to them, and they began to sew together the leaves of the garden over their bodies. And their Lord called unto them: "Did I not forbid you that tree, and tell you that Satan was an avowed enemy unto you?"

The Qur'an claims in many verses that it confirms past revelations, but we know it contradicts many scriptures; I didn't know it included what was going on in the Garden of Eden, too.

It looks like Muhammad heard the Garden of Eden Scriptures in the Bible and got all mixed up about the trees and their purpose.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Garden of Even in the Bible vs Qur'an

Post by Christian2 »

I think we all can agree that God's plan was that we were to have a "paradise" in earth. A paradise where mankind obeyed God.

Adam and Eve had it made; God took care of them and their needs; they had a perfect relationship with God, until they disobeyed Him and they along with the rest of us were thrown out of paradise and no longer had access to the Tree of Life.

Because of my study, I have some questions and would like your input.

I am questioning the idea of paradise being in some heavenly place and not on earth. I thought heaven was in the heavens. lol

Doesn't it make sense that someday we will be in paradise on earth just as God originally planned and not someplace in the heavens?

I should have come to this conclusion before now because I have studied the book of Revelation. I guess some of it went over my head.

It seems the people who write for GotQuestions agrees:

https://www.gotquestions.org/new-heavens-earth.html

What do you guys think?

Thanks.