On suicide and hell.

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

On suicide and hell.

Post by PaulSacramento »

Ravi Zacaharius on Suicide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JGFrcCS2ps

Most don't know this but when I was much younger I almost committed suicide and much like Ravi, I have a small consolation that I didn't know Christ at the time, but I can't even fathom something like that now and BEYOND this I would like to add this also:
As some of you know, my Dad passed away a few years ago from ALS and, if you know ALS you will now how brutal and debilitating a disease it is and how it strips you of everything before it kills you, there was a point where the option of easing my dad's suffering reared its head.
No, I didn't do it, the Lord gave me far more strength than I ever thought possible to allow me to deal with my Dad's pain and suffering, to be there for him and, while it was very painful to see him suffer, I know that taking his life, even with a noble intention, was not God's will and Ravi explains it far better than I can.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: On suicide and hell.

Post by RickD »

With all that said, Ravi did a remarkable job of dancing around a direct answer to the question.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:With all that said, Ravi did a remarkable job of dancing around a direct answer to the question.
I think he did answer it when He said that he leaves it up to God to decide who goes to hell.
He stated why suicide is wrong but stopped short of stating that it sends a person directly to hell, with no chance of redemption because he doesn't KNOW if that is the case and with all such case that we don't know, it's best to leave that in God's very capable hands.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The ONLY question that matters is, was the person who committed suicide saved. Period!

Think about why many kill themselves: severe depression. A moment arrives in which the pain of living one second longer becomes unbearable to some. They just want the pain to end. Depression is an illness with many causes. So one might say that, in certain people, killing themself is the conclusion of that illness - just as with other diseases that end in death. Are we to say that Christians are immune from such severe depression? Course not! My dad suffered from it - even had EST. My dentist was a wonderful Christian guy, who suffered greatly from depression. Killed himself. I have no doubt he is with the Lord.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

That's a very pleasant title....hey Paul, not to give away too much, but are you feeling well? Because I have been depressed before and can speak to you if you need it.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Yes, salvation is what really matters. The only reason a person will end up in hell --is because they don't accept God's way of staying out. God has provided the one / only way to stay out of hell and be able to Be In Heaven.

And having someone who cares enough To listen to 'us' is important. I was in counseling for nearly two years. He reminds me of Scripture verses -- Casting all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you. And Philippians 4: 6 - 7. And I'm finding that those Scriptures need to be implemented by the person to be useful.

Songs like "Turn your eyes upon Jesus" and "What a friend we have in Jesus".

Do I Really take time to have serious conversations with God through Jesus Christ?

Do we Really believe that God hears and answers our prayer.

In today's world -- God is torn down Far more than He is lifted up. And That negativity can affect us. It does Me at times.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The first part: Check! Second part: Depends.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Hortator wrote:That's a very pleasant title....hey Paul, not to give away too much, but are you feeling well? Because I have been depressed before and can speak to you if you need it.
Thank you for asking, I am well.
Every so often I feel the loss of my father deeply, very deeply, BUT not in a depressed way ( for lack of a better way of describing it).
There are days were I simply miss him very, very much.
We worked together for 20 years, saw him every day and we were very close.
I will see him again of course, just not yet and, hopefully, not for a very long time.
Again, thanks for asking my friend.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote:
The first part: Check! Second part: Depends.
Sometimes His answer is No and we must trust that, being God, He knows what is better for us than we do ( which experience tells us is very true).