other religion's prophecies

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

other religion's prophecies

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

What do we make of prophecies of other religions that turn out to be true?
Also most religions have different versions of God, why did God pick out the middle east and not other places to start?
I'm tempted to accept this guy's answer....
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-view- ... /Jahnu-Das

I think one of the reasons why the middle east was chosen was that there always were a few faithful there, while most other places had got corrupted. But, all religions contain some truth. We have to be careful though in determing what other religions say is truth or not.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: other religion's prophecies

Post by Philip »

What do we make of prophecies of other religions that turn out to be true?
Oh, you mean when some cult leader says, "There will be wars, drought and famine?" Give me an example of specific, detailed prophecies that have come true from false religions.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:What do we make of prophecies of other religions that turn out to be true?
Also most religions have different versions of God, why did God pick out the middle east and not other places to start?

I think one of the reasons why the middle east was chosen was that there always were a few faithful there, while most other places had got corrupted. But, all religions contain some truth. We have to be careful though in determing what other religions say is truth or not.
What other religions have prophecies that came true?
Remember some religions (Islam for instance) were created by demons. And they might have some insight into what is to come.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Ik there's some but I can't think of any right now.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

The demonic would have no knowledge of future things that God has not revealed. We have no indication that they've been informed of future events, except in general, and as we ourselves have been informed. They certainly do not know the exact time of Jesus return. But because they are networked together under Satan's umbrella, and as they inhabit a spiritual realm that we cannot see - then they see and share information, as it happens, that mortals can't know about. Satan is exceptionally clever and knows how to read people's fears and motivations, and how to use those as bait to lure them into temptation and destruction. But they are not ALL-knowing as is God. As for false Gods that don't exist, they can manifest evidences that can convince people such gods DO exist. As, indirectly, as the demonic masquerades as gods, these gods DO exist, but not as deceived mortals believe what they are and who they actually are. The demonic can also manifest false evidences of things that APPEAR supernaturally known, but that are actually evidences gathered and shared via their network of watching and listening to things that mortals are unaware of - so the demonic uses such evidences to encourage false beliefs in all manner of false teachings, false gods, and whatever deceptive things they wish to mislead with. Satan has a very big and diverse tool belt.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Yes and I wonder if we'll see that he gets punished. We know he will but will we see it?
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

A common theme I see in false religion is that one can work to get saved, there usually is no judgement and all go to some far off spirit land/world (like with many native peoples), or a type of nature worship like animism/totemism.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Ok some are found here
https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/ques ... n-hinduism
Apparently dharma (evil, wrongness, vice) is rising in the world and this was prophecized millennia ago.
According to Swami Vishwananda Europe was prophecised to be in ruins 50 years after some guy said so, and that was fulfilled in WWII. I take these with some skepticism.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

How may speak to the choir, or have prophecies noted a "prophecy" in advance. It's not the Christians can't make this mistake. Yet, prophecies of the Messiah convince a great many Jewish people (and others) that they're true.

Look up a few testimonies of why former Jews turned to Christ -- many often note the significance of Christ as the Messiah based upon the prophecies they read in their own scriptures.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:Ok some are found here
https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/ques ... n-hinduism
Apparently dharma (evil, wrongness, vice) is rising in the world and this was prophecized millennia ago.
According to Swami Vishwananda Europe was prophecised to be in ruins 50 years after some guy said so, and that was fulfilled in WWII. I take these with some skepticism.
Reading the link in your OP, it sounds like you see some truth (and beauty) in Hinduism. There are a lot of reasons why a religion could be rich with insights and still be "ultimately false," so if you find yourself moved by the (apparent) truth revealed in a religion, I say explore it further. There's nothing that says you can't study and learn from other religions and still be a Christian.

That said, when it comes to prophecies, I tend to think of them like this:

1) How many false prophecies has the religion made? If a religion is kinda right about one thing, but wrong about many other things, well, you guess enough times and you'll get something right.

2) Could the prophecy be determined by natural means? As Philip and Stu mentioned, even demons can have a type of insight, and clever people can find ways to make educated guesses about how things will unfold. A nation with an unstable government and a disillusioned populace can easily be pulled into war by a tyrannical opportunist -- one who knows these sorts of things can easily make a handful of guesses and be right more often than not.

3) How do the prophecies relate to the religion itself? However one gets their hands on the truth, one can easily mix truth and falsehood. This is probably the biggest reason I'm not really moved by prophecies, because at the end of the day, the ideas of the religion itself still have to stand in their own right.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:What do we make of prophecies of other religions that turn out to be true?

I think when it comes to other religions you've got to take overall evidence into account. I don't know if you've heard of "shockofGod" on youtube. He is a former atheist that is now a Christian.But he is known for the one who has asked atheists one simple question they have never answered and that is "What proof and evidence can you provide that atheism is true and correct?' Not one atheist has ever answered this question all of these years later,and I'm talking the top atheists on youtube too. Here is one of his videos that I think addresses some this question. It is about 30 minutes long but he is riding a motorcycle and so you are along for the ride with him as he explains. You're going to die"
https://youtu.be/OQUtbYvDLGI
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.