The lake of fire?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

The lake of fire?

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

It's usually pictured as a lava lake or somewhere inside earth. But since the earth is renewed it seems to be otherwise. Is it another dimension, like heaven?
Edit: we know spiritual beings will go there, like satan, so that must mean it is more than just a lava lake or fire pit, imo it probably is outside our universe. What say ye?
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The lake of fire?

Post by Hortator »

Hello isn't under the earth if that's what you mean, http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... earth.html

Once again rich has written a nice essay. Sorry for the short post, on mobile. Tell me what you think
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Hortator wrote:Hello isn't under the earth if that's what you mean, http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... earth.html

Once again rich has written a nice essay. Sorry for the short post, on mobile. Tell me what you think
So basically what I thought. Some Christians think hell ( i guess they mean lake of fire) is under earth. I think this idea came from Catholics.
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by hughfarey »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: I think this idea came from Catholics.
Eh? I'm a Catholic, and it certainly didn't come from me! I think people forget that for 1500 years the only form of Christianity that existed was what we would now call Catholic, and the rich tradition of metaphor and mythology that grew to surround the understanding of the bible and the philosophical explorations of the early fathers of the Church was inherited by all the various divergent sects from the 16th Century onwards. To that extent, all Christianity "came from Catholics", not just the bits you disagree with!
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

hughfarey wrote:
Eh? I'm a Catholic, and it certainly didn't come from me! I think people forget that for 1500 years the only form of Christianity that existed was what we would now call Catholic, and the rich tradition of metaphor and mythology that grew to surround the understanding of the bible and the philosophical explorations of the early fathers of the Church was inherited by all the various divergent sects from the 16th Century onwards. To that extent, all Christianity "came from Catholics", not just the bits you disagree with!
Come on now, all Christianity came from Jesus and his disciples.
There's a reason for the Protestant movement.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

hughfarey wrote:
The earliest reference to hellfire being below earth where you go right when you die i could think of was Catholic. It might not be.
There were non Catholic churches. Do you actually think that all of the first century churches were called Catholic? The church in Jerusalem, the church in India, Ethiopia, Assyria, etc? They could've been considered Catholic later, until the Schism in the 10-1100s, where the East Church was Orthodox and the West Catholic.
For those who didn't know about the church in India, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Thoma ... Angamoozhy