Can Christians cuss?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Can Christians cuss?

Post by Stu »

IceMobster wrote:
Stu wrote:I think that it is a no, Christians shouldn't swear.

I have been dealing with this very problem myself in fact! I used to swear like a sailor but have since toned it down. I hardly ever swear anymore. It just feels more peaceful and better that way.
How? What do you use instead? I feel like I'll never get rid of it. :?
Just made a conscious decision not to swear :)
It get's better over time.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

IceMobster wrote:
Stu wrote:I think that it is a no, Christians shouldn't swear.

I have been dealing with this very problem myself in fact! I used to swear like a sailor but have since toned it down. I hardly ever swear anymore. It just feels more peaceful and better that way.
How? What do you use instead? I feel like I'll never get rid of it. :?
Use some euphemism like darn or blue blazes.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Do true Christians cuss?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I can say this is not really a problem for me but there are other things I struggle with.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I can say this is not really a problem for me but there are other things I struggle with.
That's because you're too old. Cuss words hadn't entered the English language when you were young.

Didn't you used to ride a T Rex to school, uphill both ways, in the snow?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote:Do true Christians cuss?
True Christians shouldn't cuss but people slip up.
I've seen you cuss on here.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:I can say this is not really a problem for me but there are other things I struggle with.
That's because you're too old. Cuss words hadn't entered the English language when you were young.

I'm not that old.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Maybe someone hacked into my account to post naughty words. Or, maybe one of those overreaching mods edited my posts.

First, I voted for Trump. Now I cuss. My eternal life may be in jeopardy. Can I just say a few Hail Marys?

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
RickD wrote:

I'm not that old.
But you did go to school with Abe Lincoln, right?

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
RickD wrote:

I'm not that old.
But you did go to school with Abe Lincoln, right?
No Ronald Reagan.

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Maybe someone hacked into my account to post naughty words. Or, maybe one of those overreaching mods edited my posts.

First, I voted for Trump. Now I cuss. My eternal life may be in jeopardy. Can I just say a few Hail Marys?
:lol:
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... ic#p220919
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Hmm. I think curse words are serious for a reason, because they carry heavy meanings behind them. I won't go into detail about the derivatives of each swear word because big brother is watching, but there is an interpretive tradition behind certain vulgar English words.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

What are "swear words"? That is, don't list them out, but rather what makes a "word" a "swear word"? For example, is it because they're related to faeces or sex, or is it the "dirtiness" associated with them that makes such swear words?

For example, why is "poo" not a swear word, whereas s#!t will raise eyebrows? My son didn't understand why it was a swear word, which made it interesting for me trying to answer.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

K: What are "swear words"? That is, don't list them out, but rather what makes a "word" a "swear word"? For example, is it because they're related to faeces or sex, or is it the "dirtiness" associated with them that makes such swear words?

For example, why is "poo" not a swear word, whereas s#!t will raise eyebrows? My son didn't understand why it was a swear word, which made it interesting for me trying to answer.
Interesting question. Perhaps, a word either meant to be or perceived as meant as an obscenity. And so society has these polite words for the more graphic ones: "B.S." is one. But how do you nicely refer to something really nasty? Like what comes our of the bull's rear end? Course, the obscene perception is often a cultural one.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:What are "swear words"? That is, don't list them out, but rather what makes a "word" a "swear word"? For example, is it because they're related to faeces or sex, or is it the "dirtiness" associated with them that makes such swear words?

I'm pretty sure the standard for knowing what words are inappropriate, and which aren't, comes from George Carlin's "The 7 Words You Can't Say On TV".

And no, I won't post a link, it's inappropriate. :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow