God and the East

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

God and the East

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Why did the Church hardly spread to most of Asia until the colonial era? The Apostle Thomas started a church in India, and most of West Asia like the Middle East and some of Genghis Khan's empire, but otherwise very few Christians were in Asia. Europe was the home of most of Christianity until Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: God and the East

Post by B. W. »

These folks suffered and were killed...

There was headway but it came slowly and steadily and is still being carried out today...

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

Not just the Far East but the far north was a hard region to spread the gospel. Far north being the Baltic states of Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia. The resistance to missionary attempts kept Christianity at bay until about 1200 A.D. when the Northern Crusades were undertaken to force conversion upon the pagans.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

JButler wrote:Not just the Far East but the far north was a hard region to spread the gospel. Far north being the Baltic states of Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia. The resistance to missionary attempts kept Christianity at bay until about 1200 A.D. when the Northern Crusades were undertaken to force conversion upon the pagans.
Right, Finland I think was the last pagan stronghold too, sometime in the 13th century AD.