Galatians 5

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Galatians 5

Post by B. W. »

Next to add to what Jac shared...

But first....

Question: what comes to mind when you hears the words: The Ten Commandments? --note Deut 10:4

What does the word commandment mean to you?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:
RickD wrote:Your computer is probably blocking it.
Yes maybe is is a "works based computer" you think?

:lol:
Actually, my first inclination was to blame it on user error. You know, crochet being a woman, and all. But then she said her husband was there trying to help.

That's when it occurred to me that it's probably a computer error.
:pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

B. W. wrote:Next to add to what Jac shared...

But first....

Question: what comes to mind when you hears the words: The Ten Commandments? --note Deut 10:4

-
-
-
I'm shaky on what the ten are, I would have to look them up but I remember reading somewhere (quite possibly in Galatians) that all of the commandments can be summed up with love thy neighbour.

Regarding the comment made by bbyrd (?) that we are still under the law, how? I thiught that was prett much why God sent Christ, to free us from the law, replacing it with His grace.

The more I read and pray, the more I think I am being guided by the HS. Just a thought... presumably before Christ, no one was filled with the HS? Am I right in thinking the HS was sent so that we would never be alone?

Commandment, to me, means something that should be followed. Always following it is a different thing though.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Storyteller wrote:

But first....

I'm shaky on what the ten are, I would have to look them up but I remember reading somewhere (quite possibly in Galatians) that all of the commandments can be summed up with love thy neighbour.

Regarding the comment made by bbyrd (?) that we are still under the law, how? I thiught that was prett much why God sent Christ, to free us from the law, replacing it with His grace.

The more I read and pray, the more I think I am being guided by the HS. Just a thought... presumably before Christ, no one was filled with the HS? Am I right in thinking the HS was sent so that we would never be alone?

Commandment, to me, means something that should be followed. Always following it is a different thing though.
That is how I was lead to believe the word commandment meant in the context of the Ten Commandments as the:

Ten Demands or Else!

However, that is not what the Hebrew word implies in the context of the Ten Commandments.

These were actually Ten ways declared by God on how to live responsibly before God and each other. These were not demands. View the in this light and things are not so bleak. Why...

You see people do not know how to live responsibly before God or each other unless God himself declared what is the true way. So He sent forth the 10 C's to teach how one lives responsibly before God and each other.

Later Jesus clarified this by loving God and loving each other as we do our own selves. True love remains and acts responsibly to whom is loved and in that case the 10 C's are rather tutors for us to help guide us to live responsibly in this mortal life and what it should looks like. Jesus provided the sacrifice for sin, our failings - He acted responsibly in doing this for us so we can move on and grow.

As time progressed, the religious leaders of ancient Israel changed the 10 c's into demands or else. They interpreted and changed the entire law of Moses and added to it and turned it into a DEMAND YOU KEEP IT or ELSE rather than instruction on how to live responsible to each other God.

The Law also was designed to expose and prove why sin is sinful as Romans chapter Seven reveals leading people to the Messiah Jesus to deal with the sin issue but that is another topic. So...

...Back Galatians - Paul was addressing how the religious leaders of his day changed the law into Demands or Else which justified nobody and do not go back to that way as it is error.

We are not under the Demands or Else law but rather God's grace that teaches us how to live responsibly before God and each other. If we fail, 1 John 1:9 is there to be responsible for us too live by so we can get back on track no matter how long it takes because God is a responsible God to His own who have come to him - so relax. You haven't failed him, you cannot.

You are a blessing Annette and I like your questions little sister!

y>:D< y@};-

Bryan
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I strive with all of my heart to be like Christ. I fail miserably, we all do but the fact I strive to be more Christ like, every day, matters. When I face God, through the grace of Christ, clothed in the robes of righteoness, forgiven, will I feel shame?
I do, now.

Gonna read Romans 7

B.W. ... I shied away from religion, church, God, all this theological stuff because I am convinced God loves me, I know it. I believe in Christ. He took all my sins, and trust me I give him plenty, yet He STILL loves me.

Gods grace isnt about laws, or have to's, it's about love.

What better act of love than creation?

Sorry, another train of thought.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

If we're still under the Law, then we are obligated to love God.
No, we pay respect to the Law because it represents God and we love Him in our hearts.

Rituals and acts can be done out of obligation without the heart.
Yet, if your heart desires God, then it follows that we want to do what pleases Him.

Read your Bible Sir Byyrd. God desires our hearts to be circumcised, more than the flesh.
The second is meaningless to God without the former.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Question for you K... why do I fail so spectularly when I try so hard?
I am a sinner.
Tis weird, typing this, feeling God so much.

I fail on so many levels, church, scripture, theology yet I know God. Faith is my gift.

I have talked to believers, and atheists, and the one thing they pick up on is my faith. It stuns me, I am me, I dont have their answers, only mine. Yet my thoughts, my answers are resonating through the will of God.

Im rambling.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Storyteller wrote:Question for you K... why do I fail so spectularly when I try so hard?
Just because we come to Christ, doesn't mean we stop carrying our carnal human nature. Those around us who might also negatively influence us are still there too and don't magically disappear. Yet, we are spiritually reborn, have new desires, goals, striving that is God-centred rather than necessarily self-centred.

Such a spirituality is added, doesn't replace us and our other desires, yet evidently run into conflict. Although some claim to have a miraculous change if they were a drug addict or what-not, but such are special cases and even they will struggle with their carnality.

God promises, when we die, to free us from such nature. So that we can truly be who we are in Him. Though we sin, we're not sinners. God doesn't see us as sinners, but struggling to overcome in a world that is fallen,turned against Him, and our natures are tied to such -- we're a part of it. In Christ, we've died to our old nature, yet still bound to such for now. And in Christ, after our physical bodies are sown in death, our we will be risen complete and perfect in Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:50-57 --
  • 50Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, 52in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. 55“O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?” 56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; 57but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Here is a video I think you'll find helpful ST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuTPylRXKd8
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

y>:D< K

Thank you, I shall watch that a few times I think. And read Romans.
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

crochet1949 wrote:
bbyrd009 wrote:So, in relation to Galatians 5, it is easy to suggest that we are perhaps not bound by the law, and i completely agree, but in another context we also are not unbound from it, either. Once one has immersed themselves in the principles of the law--which, after all, are only very ancient and mutually agreed upon guidelines, meant to point to the need for grace--once law has been assimilated, iow, and one is rooted in the law, acting in grace should be possible without even referencing the law, as the limits of the law are really not even approached, and they are even superseded by a higher understanding, iow i might legally avail myself of "an eye for an eye," but even Muslims, supposedly living by this "law," recognize and appreciate forgiveness over the revenge-nature of availing oneself of "an eye for an eye" when they have been wronged.

So, i see that, generally speaking, they have largely assimilated grace much better than we have, which is really weird to me; as it seems few "Christians" would not avail themselves of every legal remedy when they have been wronged--again, generally speaking.

For one thing -- Why do you keep bringing Muslims into conversations.
ah, sorry, but just there it was occurring to me that Muslims (who btw i lived around, in various Mideast countries, growing up), whom we accuse of living under the law, and we're of course scared to death of Sharia Law, etc, now, allows for a victim to release a perpetrator from "an eye for an eye," iow Grace is allowed to be practiced in their law, whereas in ours it is not, and in fact the state often supersedes the victim in cases of prosecution now, in our law, iow someone is getting a dose of law even if there is no victim, and no charges brought. Just something to think about.
crochet1949 wrote: Galations 5 starts out with "Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
which pretty much lets us out, i guess. :lol: j/k
crochet1949 wrote: We were given the Law as a way of Our seeing that we can't possibly keep all of it all the time. We can't possibly Ever be 'good enough' to save ourselves. God gave the Law to us through Moses -- all the laws of purification, All of it -- Chapters of it. Meant for the health and wellbeing of His chosen people. But - because of the cross -- God giving us grace -- unmerited favor -- we're no longer under the law. We have liberty through Christ. So - in the New Testament- we have 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and being" And then Love your neighbor as yourself. God has put in the heart of believers To live those commandments -- Because we Love Him Because He first loved us. When we love someone, we have an inner desire To do good things with / for them.
i know you do, and it is evident that you prolly have a better heart than me, i would not even contest this part. The rest, you would not like my characterization of, prolly, but if you are associated with it even peropherally, i would rather you be miffed at me, right now, than flabbergasted, unbelieving, later, when similar charges might be raised again, and it is too late. With all due respect. Because right now we are just talking; then, witnesses who have had their weddings drone bombed with your implicit consent are going to be bringing charges, and will have proof, and you might not be able to reply, a word, then. And that is just a "for example" thing, ok.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

it is a sin to talk about sin, among those who have laid the foundation, wadr.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Yesterday was Sunday -- it was a very Cold day but a Good day. Several of us went to a local nursing home and sang / played Christmas carols. Christmas is celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ who was born to die on the cross to pay the penalty for everyone's sins. Everyone Has sinned and God has shown His love For us by providing The payment For our sins. All a person needs to do it acknowledge their sinfulness and that God's gift of salvation is available to All -- simply needs to accepted in a person's heart and acknowledged verbally -- Thank you God- though Jesus Christ -- For your gift of eternal life. Gods' grace is sufficient for All.
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

mmmkay well, going to the Nursing Home speaks louder than words...
Storyteller wrote:

But first....

-
-
-

i did not mean to imply that you were still under the Law, as a Christian; as an American, maybe, but not as a Christian. This does not release one from fulfilling the Law though; which i agree Love Your Neighbor fulfills, while of course suggesting...quite a bit more. Naturally someone acting out of Agape will not be breaking the Law, and the Law should cease to even be a focal point, in a way, once one has internalized it; after all, once you get a procedure down, say, you don't keep reviewing all the ways that you could do it wrong, do you? No. And are you maybe going to still miss the mark on occasion? Sure. It happens. Are you able to recognize that, when it happens, are you sensitive to when you maybe hurt someone else, and able to offer a simple apology, and be open to making amends? Or do you turn it into some huge emo religious repentance thing--when an apology would do fine?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

bbyrd009 wrote:mmmkay well, going to the Nursing Home speaks louder than words...
Storyteller wrote:

But first....

-
-
-

i did not mean to imply that you were still under the Law, as a Christian; as an American, maybe, but not as a Christian. This does not release one from fulfilling the Law though; which i agree Love Your Neighbor fulfills, while of course suggesting...quite a bit more. Naturally someone acting out of Agape will not be breaking the Law, and the Law should cease to even be a focal point, in a way, once one has internalized it; after all, once you get a procedure down, say, you don't keep reviewing all the ways that you could do it wrong, do you? No. And are you maybe going to still miss the mark on occasion? Sure. It happens. Are you able to recognize that, when it happens, are you sensitive to when you maybe hurt someone else, and able to offer a simple apology, and be open to making amends? Or do you turn it into some huge emo religious repentance thing--when an apology would do fine?
I'm not under the law as an American either, I'm a Brit :mrgreen:

I struggle daily with missing the mark, there is plenty I do, or say, every day that misses that mark, and yes, if I recognise it, I apologise, not only to the party involved but to God and myself. I am actually pretty hard on myself, I see my faults and transgressions way easier than anything else I see. I cry out to be good, knowing I can't, not yet. I strive every hour to be more Christ like, less "me" or at least less my sinning self.
As for the whole religion thing, I'm still not sure I class myself as religious, I don't go to church (this forum is more of a church and I prefer churches when they're empty. I find God in my heart, not a building)
As a kid when I was asked what I wanted to be I would say Like Christ, even as a kid I knew, felt, that the life of Christ, his conduct, his heart, was the way I wanted to live.
I talk to God, pray to God all the time, seek his guidance and when I repent it is to, and for God.