Understanding the Trinity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Understanding the Trinity

Post by Jac3510 »

the beast and false prophets are humans. THEY -- those humans -- will be punished forever and ever, tormented without end
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Games over parts of speech aside, Rev 20:10 proves the point: "they [the devil, beast, and false prophet] will be tormented day and night forever and ever." That's eternal punishing. No burning up and out of existence.
But Jenna's argument is that's only for the devil, beast, and false prophet. Not for people.
Again, the beast and false prophet are humans.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by crochet1949 »

Jenna -- but they Will continue to burn for ever because that is what Scripture says will happen. We have trouble accepting that a loving, merciful God would allow for such suffering -- to go on forever and forever. But That harsh punishing Is meant to go on and on but only for satan, the false prophet and the beast. They deserve it because God says they do. The cross of Christ -- bridging the gap between our sinfulness and God -- is meant only for people. He has given us a way to escape Their doom.

The Punishment IS Eternal Punishing.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Jac3510 wrote:the beast and false prophets are humans. THEY -- those humans -- will be punished forever and ever, tormented without end
actually, no they arent. not going into it now though. maybe tomorrow when i have more time.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:the beast and false prophets are humans. THEY -- those humans -- will be punished forever and ever, tormented without end
They cannot be humans, because Jenna says that humans can't be punished for ever and ever.

Oh wait, they can be punished for ever and ever. They just can't endure punishing for ever and ever.

My bad.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jenna wrote:
actually, no they arent. not going into it now though. maybe tomorrow when i have more time.
Waiting with bated breath.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I'm not. Waiting. Much less with bated breath. The beast and false prophet aren't human. It's laughable. Besides, she has a tendancy not to follow through, anyway.

But, regardless, this is why these discussions are actually helpful. If anyone actually reads this, they'll see how far someone has to go to maintain their position. Eventually, the ridiculousness is so obvious that it works as its own deterrant.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Jac3510 wrote:I'm not. Waiting. Much less with bated breath. The beast and false prophet aren't human. It's laughable. Besides, she has a tendancy not to follow through, anyway.

But, regardless, this is why these discussions are actually helpful. If anyone actually reads this, they'll see how far someone has to go to maintain their position. Eventually, the ridiculousness is so obvious that it works as its own deterrant.
so now i am ridiculous, laughable, and dont follow through? i was going to follow up with this later, but since you say i do not, i will just put a few things out there.
there are 2 beasts described in the bible, one in Revelations and one in Daniel.
Revelation 17:8 describes a beast that ascends out of a bottomless pit, and is ridden by a woman. Revelation 13:1-2 describes a beast that has seven heads and ten horns, and upon the horns ten crowns. it was like unto a leopard, feet like a bear, and the mouth like that of a lion. it was given power by the dragon, wounded almost to death, healed, and the world wondered after it, and worshiped it.
This depiction cannot possibly refer to a literal man.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

jenna wrote:so now i am ridiculous, laughable,
No, your positions are ridiculous and laughable, as is your poor attempt to deal with what I actually said. As is your habit, you don't actually respond to what people believe but rather silly inventions of your own.
and dont follow through?
It's been your habit not to.
i was going to follow up with this later, but since you say i do not, i will just put a few things out there.
there are 2 beasts described in the bible, one in Revelations and one in Daniel. Revelation 17:8 describes a beast that ascends out of a bottomless pit, and is ridden by a woman. Revelation 13:1-2 describes a beast that has seven heads and ten horns, and upon the horns ten crowns. it was like unto a leopard, feet like a bear, and the mouth like that of a lion. it was given power by the dragon, wounded almost to death, healed, and the world wondered after it, and worshiped it.
Of course they can, and they do. Incredulity is not a substitute for argument. But just for fun, pray tell, if these descriptions can't refer to a man, what can they refer to? Obviously not an institution. Not an idea. Not a belief. So, what? To nothing at all?

Are you not aware that in Daniel more exotic imagery than that is used to refer to a literal man?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Jac3510 wrote:
jenna wrote:so now i am ridiculous, laughable,
No, your positions are ridiculous and laughable, as is your poor attempt to deal with what I actually said. As is your habit, you don't actually respond to what people believe but rather silly inventions of your own.
and dont follow through?
It's been your habit not to.
i was going to follow up with this later, but since you say i do not, i will just put a few things out there.
there are 2 beasts described in the bible, one in Revelations and one in Daniel. Revelation 17:8 describes a beast that ascends out of a bottomless pit, and is ridden by a woman. Revelation 13:1-2 describes a beast that has seven heads and ten horns, and upon the horns ten crowns. it was like unto a leopard, feet like a bear, and the mouth like that of a lion. it was given power by the dragon, wounded almost to death, healed, and the world wondered after it, and worshiped it.
Jac3510 wrote:Of course they can, and they do.
***oh really? what human man would you say this is? y:-?
Jac3510 wrote: Incredulity is not a substitute for argument. But just for fun, pray tell, if these descriptions can't refer to a man, what can they refer to? Obviously not an institution. Not an idea. Not a belief. So, what? To nothing at all?
***no, they are referring to an empire.
Jac3510 wrote:Are you not aware that in Daniel more exotic imagery than that is used to refer to a literal man?
i am aware of Daniel, as i mentioned it above. what human man is referred to in such exotic imagery? none. it is all symbolic.

messed up somewhat, not sure what i did, but my responses are marked with ***
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

jenna wrote: ***oh really? what human man would you say this is? y:-?
The one called the Antichrist and his false prophet, of course.
Impossible, by your standards. Empires can't be ridden by women or have horns.
i am aware of Daniel, as i mentioned it above. what human man is referred to in such exotic imagery? none. it is all symbolic.
Alexander the Great
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Furthermore, it is ridiculous to suggest than an empire can be thrown into a lake of fire with Satan and be tormented forever and ever. The beast and the false prophets are men, jenna.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Jac3510 wrote:
jenna wrote: ***oh really? what human man would you say this is? y:-?
The one called the Antichrist and his false prophet, of course.
Impossible, by your standards. Empires can't be ridden by women or have horns.
Alexander the Great
again, nothing much said here. no statement as to how they could be anything more than symbolism. as for the woman, she is a symbol too, but i suppose you find that ridiculous as well.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Jac3510 wrote:Furthermore, it is ridiculous to suggest than an empire can be thrown into a lake of fire with Satan and be tormented forever and ever. The beast and the false prophets are men, jenna.
you have yet to show how they could be men. the beast and the false prophet are symbolism of the real thing, just like the dragon is symbol of Satan.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Games over parts of speech aside, Rev 20:10 proves the point: "they [the devil, beast, and false prophet] will be tormented day and night forever and ever." That's eternal punishing. No burning up and out of existence.
But Jenna's argument is that's only for the devil, beast, and false prophet. Not for people.

That is not consistent with scripture.
Nowhere is it stated that, in the Lake of Fire, some will have eternal punishment and others will not.