Thou Shalt Not Use the Name of God in Vain

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Thou Shalt Not Use the Name of God in Vain

Post by Kurieuo »

We often miss the point of this, thinking "God dammit" is what it means.
Listen, however, to this heart-string pulling story of Susan for better insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R27pSpWgmBE
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Thou Shalt Not Use the Name of God in Vain

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I agree with the video, I myself was put in a similar situation where my wife was going to leave me unless I denied my faith in Jesus, but I persevered and we are both still together and I still have my faith in Christ. Although my life was not in immediate danger and the situations are a little different, I still think we are put through these types of trials regulary with family, friends, work associates and the like.

I was always taught that taking the Lords name in vain was to associate God with evil, which I guess to deny Jesus is a form of evil.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

it aggravates me when I here so called Christians using God's name in vain. if you are a real Christian you well not do that.

it start by using his name in any from reverently and like the video said it goes so much farther. All of it is wrong.

love the video.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:it aggravates me when I here so called Christians using God's name in vain. if you are a real Christian you well not do that.

it start by using his name in any from reverently and like the video said it goes so much farther. All of it is wrong.

love the video.
Saying, "God damnit" is not using God's name in vain. "God" is not God's name.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Saying, "God damnit" is not using God's name in vain. "God" is not God's name.
Technicality. It ain't good, that's for sure.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

that is just cursing. The same thing Peter did when he denied Christ. Why did Peter do that because it is obvious that followers of Christ wouldn't do that.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:that is just cursing. The same thing Peter did when he denied Christ. Why did Peter do that because it is obvious that followers of Christ wouldn't do that.
Ah, the No True Scotsman fallacy. Got it.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Can't watch video at work, but I suggest that verse is understood to mean, "Don't say you are a believer and not act like it." The word "take" is better translated "receive" (which, by the way, is how the LXX renders it), and the word "in vain" has the idea of "without effect." Fairly obvious what it means in that regard. I can see from the headline of the video how that would fit nicely with the idea of persecution being an easy context to take the Lord's name in vain -- you took His name, you identify with it, and then you deny it and Him when it matters. Again, just guessing that's what the video says. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

To say "goddamnit" is to ask God to damn something.
It's just that simple.
It is not wholly appropriate to request God to damn anyone or anything, though at times understandable out of frustration BUT it is not taking God's name in vain.
I agree with others that to deny God ( as a believer)is to take His name in vain but I would also that to do something or say something IN God's name and not do it, that would be taking His name in vain also.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

Y'all don't get it. If the bible says not to do something then you are not to do that. Your not to look for some underlining meaning and forget what it say directly not to do. When people say the word Y'all are using the last thing on there minds is God doing anything. People say that while out on the golf course and at football games and when the car wont start. Do you really think they are wanting God to destroy there competitors or there cars or what ever else they are saying it over.
Of curse not.

If you are a real Christian you will not use His name in vain. When you use Gods name it is support to mean something it is not a by word.

look at how far off y'all are the bible say to not do something, and what are y'all doing setting around trying to come up with some reason of why you really can do it.

You are not to Use God's name in Vain by word or action. If you half way do something you really didn't do it. Think of it like this. If I half way start my car I didn't start it.

We shouldn't be looking for a hidden meaning and over look the obvious meaning.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I personally like invoking God's name, and Jesus', because it reminds me of the One I acknowledge and love.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

So you are saying that you like to do something that someone you love asked you not to do because it reminds you that you love them.

maybe that is how you are but am I the only one that sees that as strange logic.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:Y'all don't get it. If the bible says not to do something then you are not to do that. Your not to look for some underlining meaning and forget what it say directly not to do. When people say the word Y'all are using the last thing on there minds is God doing anything. People say that while out on the golf course and at football games and when the car wont start. Do you really think they are wanting God to destroy there competitors or there cars or what ever else they are saying it over.
Of curse not.

If you are a real Christian you will not use His name in vain. When you use Gods name it is support to mean something it is not a by word.

look at how far off y'all are the bible say to not do something, and what are y'all doing setting around trying to come up with some reason of why you really can do it.

You are not to Use God's name in Vain by word or action. If you half way do something you really didn't do it. Think of it like this. If I half way start my car I didn't start it.

We shouldn't be looking for a hidden meaning and over look the obvious meaning.
I'll tell you one thing, I don't think any of us can argue with that kind of logic! :shock:

-Edward R Murrow

jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

do you see something wrong with my logic or are you agreeing with me.

and what about his logic? you didn't answer my question.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:do you see something wrong with my logic or are you agreeing with me.

and what about his logic? you didn't answer my question.
I don't see any reason whatsoever, as to why anyone should argue with your logic!

-Edward R Murrow