Sin

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Anonymous

Sin

Post by Anonymous »

Ok I was pitted with this question "If Jesus takes away someone's sin, does that mean they can sin as much as they want".
Hebrews 6:4-6 talks about those who believe, yet don't repent, but does it mean they won't be saved or what?
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

No, it does not mean that you can sin as much as you want. It is a somewhat loaded question, since if you are a Christian who believes in confessing, repentance and forgiveness, you also have a heart that does not want to intentionally sin. Forgiveness also does not mean that there are no consequences.

The passage in Hebrews refers to those Jews who were Christians, but returned to Judaism. Since they returned to judaism, they did not believe in Christ any more, and therefore could not be saved according to the teachings of the NT.
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

Jesus being God in Human form gave his life painfully and suffered for all sins, but we must repent our sins and we must mean it, so no we are not free to sin whenever we wish to. We must genuinely word toward the life that the lord planned us to live.
God himself suffered pain so that we would have the opportunity to spend eternity with him. Is it too much to ask that we ask forgiveness for our sins and try and live a meaningful to god life?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Jesus has removed the spiritual consequences of sin (we don't go to hell in other words). We still have the earthly consequences. You do drugs, you go to jail or suffer, you lie, people find out and you get in trouble, you flip the birdie, and three big tough guys jump you and send you to the hospital. Also, take this in mind-Jesus took every one of our sin...so when we sin, we're adding another sin Jesus had to take upon Himself.
RGeeB
Established Member

Re: Sin

Post by RGeeB »

vvart wrote: Hebrews 6:4-6 talks about those who believe, yet don't repent, but does it mean they won't be saved or what?
1 John 2:3-4
Further to what August mentioned in the second post above - If someone wilfully sins, he is denying Jesus. If he denies Jesus, then he is denied the forgiveness found in Jesus. It follows that his salvation remains incomplete.
Maranatha!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Sin

Post by Kurieuo »

vvart wrote:Ok I was pitted with this question "If Jesus takes away someone's sin, does that mean they can sin as much as they want".
Hebrews 6:4-6 talks about those who believe, yet don't repent, but does it mean they won't be saved or what?
Paul deals with this partially in Romans 3 (and also later on):
  • 21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood.
    31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.
Now because of our faith how does it make sense we can do anything we like? If this sounds plausible, then perhaps there lies in a misunderstanding of what "faith" is. The word translated "faith" in our English NT can be synonymous for "trust." It is based upon the Greek word pistis, which also has a much deeper meaning than to trust. This word also means what we are persuaded of, our convictions, what we hold to be true, and these things go hand-in-hand with our passions and desires. Thus, "faith" runs much deeper than trusting, or simply a belief. It more deeply takes on a meaning as something apart of who we are—that part of us which encompasses our convictions, persuasion, desires, passions.

Paul appears to understand this deeper meaning, pointing out that it is unthinkable that if one's faith is in Christ, they'd happily want to perform actions that Christ wouldn't approve of (i.e., go against the law). If in our faith, we really do desire and love Christ, then how could we desire to happily keep on committing actions Christ wouldn't approve of? Paul also later goes on about how we were slaves to sin, but now we are slaves to Christ (Romans 6:15-18). So not only does our faith mean we want to uphold righteousness, we also should strive to becoming more and more so as we belong to Christ.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
hermitville101
Recognized Member

Post by hermitville101 »

<tear> I was hoping to get to pull out some Romans on this one, but alas I have been beat. So sad. :)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

The Beatles were right on one thing-love's all you need. If you really love God, you won't sin. In the same way, if you love your wife/husband (I hate the politically correct word "partner"), and they don't like you do something, you'd stop out of love. IIf your motivation is externally (being nagged at) you'll go back to the way you were (am I right? It seems reasonable but heck I'm biased). :P
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Related Question

Post by Christian2 »

I made the comment that I didn't worry about whether I was going to heaven or hell because by my faith in Jesus Christ and my acceptance of Him as my savior gave me the assurance that I would indeed go to heaven.

I was told that no one has that assurance and none of us knows whether we will end up in heaven or hell.

Does anyone agree with me?

Thanks.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I agree with you. You are saved when you believe and put your faith in Jesus. Your thankful response to such a wonderful gift is to advance God's work here on Earth, by helping to lead others toward the truth. Jesus said in John 6:29 "The work of God is to believe in the one he has sent." Do not ever let anybody rob you of the certainty of this wonderful truth. Study scripture and ask the holy spirit to open your heart to its full meaning. Test everything you "hear in the world" against the word of God. I trust scripture more than any commentator.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

It's a certainty. Being saved is very simple, and once you do it, that's it. Ask Jesus to save you and take away your sin...the end. It's Islam that has the uncertainty. No matter what you do, if Allah has had a bad day, you will too.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Related Question

Post by Kurieuo »

Christian2 wrote:I was told that no one has that assurance and none of us knows whether we will end up in heaven or hell.

I'd agree with this to some extent. We hope in Christ's promise and are assured by such a promise that we are saved through Him. Yet, it could well be we are all wrong about Christ, however I am still certain and believe we are right.

Kurieuo.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
j316
Established Member

Re: Related Question

Post by j316 »

Kurieuo wrote:
Christian2 wrote:I was told that no one has that assurance and none of us knows whether we will end up in heaven or hell.

I'd agree with this to some extent. We hope in Christ's promise and are assured by such a promise that we are saved through Him. Yet, it could well be we are all wrong about Christ, however I am still certain and believe we are right.

Kurieuo.
Have any of you read John 3:16? John 6:47 is another verse, John chapter 11 vv 25-27.

I am surprised that anyone would doubt that issue, what would distinguish christianity from any other religion if it weren't for that very promise.

I would like to state again that salvation is complete when entered into, but it is a process so you aren't going to see any results from it immediately. You have to be remade and that seldom happens overnight. If you persevere you will see more and more reward. Paul says in Phillippians 1:6 that he who has begun a good work in you will perform it till the Day of Jesus Christ. Unless He is coming tomorrow that gives God time to work with you.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Yes, there is that thing that after you submit to God, if you let Him, He will mould you into a better shape. But that has nothing to do with the salvation thing (other than the fact it occurs after being saved).

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Greetings to you all.

It is really bugging me that ppl are starting to ask these questions yet again.

Romans 6:1-2

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we that are dead to sin live any longer there in?

2 Corinthians 6:14 -7:1

... What fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? Or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 'Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate', saith the Lord, 'and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be My sons and daughters', saith the Lord Almighty. Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

The Bible is very clear. Almighty God has spoken. Let us not forsake the Blood of His Son.

Serve God fully in all things, seek His Face, and be holy, even as Christ Jesus is Holy.

Doc