Martin Luther, Ascetic to Rogue

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Martin Luther, Ascetic to Rogue

Post by Kurieuo »

In many ways I see Martin Luther like the Apostle Paul.

Both came from a strict works theology, being pharisaical in nature, only Luther was more so placed an abusive yoke of righteousness upon himself. Whipping himself in a monastery for the slightest evil thought or deed. Failing over and over again drove Luther to closely examine Scripture, and then he read and understood Romans that our righteousness is nothing and only leads us to condemnation and death if we're trying to be saved and justified by such, and it is only by Christ, God's grace via Christ's work that we can attain God's righteousness.

Now, unlike Luther I don't see Paul using expletives, the Apostle conducted himself better. However, after Luther nailing his 95 thesis to the church door, and years after when he was hiding at Wartburg Castle... amongst friends and those who knew him, throughout it all Luther became known for being quite loose with his words, swearing and the like.

Some might say, Luther's transformation from an Ascetic Monk to a person who appears more like rogue, and was a spark that lead to people protesting and taring down icons in churches, killing of Catholics, bishops and the like. The sad part is that as much blood spilled both sides in history past. For his own part, while Luther didn't take a direct hand in the blood that eventually unfolded, certainly he was no longer the ascetic he initially strived to be.

And yet, I see Luther found the freedom he was looking for finally in Christ, in Paul's words found in Romans which finally lead him to understand to true grace we can have in Christ. The Accuser would have us think we're not good, we do this and that, we don't doing enough, don't do anything, we're failures in life, failures for God, Christ... and yet all Christ does is really patch and reinstate things between us and God. It isn't something "earned", but due to God's love for us that He just wants to reinstate an open channel to us. It isn't about gaining heaven, it's about gaining God, as someone who we can see at the end of the tunnel, someone who we can approach as a friend rather than enemy who'll condemn us, we "merely" have an open channel for eternity to God via Christ.

What we do with this open channel after coming to Christ, that's really up to us... if we want to pastor, if we want to reach out to the poor, visit those in prison, or perhaps as many Christians appear to do, they just go on to live our life, family, old age, retiring somewhere ignoring it all until they day. Christ, I believe will reward each in Him accordingly, so that matters are just in that respect. If we as Christians built up our treasure on Earth rather than in heaven, each will be rewarded accordingly by Christ I believe. This however has no bearing upon our security before the First Judgement where many will be cast out while those others Christ stands in front of shielding them from the righteousness judgement of God we also deserve.

Yet, let's be clear. That open connection with God is not a reward, neither is not having it a punishment (such is for our sin and rebellion). God is responsible for sending Christ to provide a way for us to attain righteousness through faith rather than works, which then creates an open connection between us and God. Once the connection is established, nothing we do or fail to do will disconnect that connection once it's been established. Our being found or remaining lost has nothing to do with doing, but everything to do with simply our being and Christ.

Sometimes, I feel like such a failure, the accuser gets to me, that I need to take stock of and am thankful that Christ still has me. It's not a reward for anything, but there it is open to me. I wish I could do more for Him though, I don't like myself in that respect.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Martin Luther, Ascetic to Rogue

Post by Philip »

How sad how people buy into so many myths about terribly flawed people, making them out to be some sort of heroic saints, despite their many ignored evils. Luther is certainly incredibly important to awakening many to some of Scripture's truths, but he was also could be zealous and encouraging of hideous actions and violence against Jews.

A few of his gems - Luther quotes concerning Jews:

"First, to set fire to their synagogues or schools … This is to be done in honor of our Lord and of Christendom, so that God might see that we are Christians …"
"Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed."
"Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing, and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them."
"Fourth, I advise that their rabbis be forbidden to teach henceforth on pain of loss of life and limb …"
"Fifth, I advise that safe-conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews. For they have no business in the countryside …"
"Sixth, I advise that usury be prohibited to them, and that all cash and treasure of silver and gold be taken from them …"
"Seventh, I recommend putting a flail, an ax, a hoe, a spade, a distaff, or a spindle into the hands of young, strong Jews and Jewesses and letting them earn their bread in the sweat of their brow … But if we are afraid that they might harm us or our wives, children, servants, cattle, etc., … then let us emulate the common sense of other nations such as France, Spain, Bohemia, etc., … then eject them forever from the country …"

How could he GET IT on so many important levels, but be so clueless about loving "his neighbors," the Jews of Europe?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

It wasn't always that way though. Here is an article, detailing the good and bad:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/histor ... mitic.html

Lest we quickly cast stones, I feel many of us are quick to want to be rid of others who won't quickly become Christian. We get our own "theological rabies" (mentioned end of that article) in our frustrations of others who strain our patience in their ignorance of God.

PS. Nonetheless I was just thinking-thinking, and using Luther as the launching pad towards my posts concluding paragraphs.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Yes, K, I realize you weren't meaning to add to Luther's "deification." But just a post to note his history, as so many Calvinists posit Luther and Calvin as these glorious saints, as mortal and as vicious as they sometimes could be. But so many fail to realize that 300 - 500 years ago and less, having differing religious views, especially in Europe, from whatever local power structure, was easily enough to risk being killed, terribly beaten, or imprisoned. Blasphemy assertions abounded, heretics everywhere, guillotines and executioner swords always at the ready. And political, ethnic and religious differences were always the ever-present powder keg. So inciting such things as did Luther (and others), was a ghastly business. Would seem, for those who took Scripture study very seriously, that the Apostle Paul's awakening would have enlightened many a lot more than it did.
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

I'm convinced the Reformation needed a guy with Luther's personality to fire it up and get it moving. Combative, confrontational, bold, extroverted, boisterous, energetic, vocal and charismatic are a few adjectives I associate with Luther. At times probably overly extroverted and quick to opine but he said what was on his mind. You didn't have to wonder where you stood in his view, especially if you were the Pope or RC hierarchy. He was the man for the time and mission.

On the Jews it's my understanding Luther was favorable to them early on. He didn't get angry with them until he heard stories of rabbis defiling the NT in the synagogues.

Chronic health conditions can have an effect on one's disposition and he had a number of them.

Comparing Luther's personality to Calvin's, I believe reform would not have happened, at least not at in that time period if it had to rely on Calvin's low profile personality.

Philip makes a good point about the dangers of speaking out. Not only did you have to worry about the RC authorities but you had to be careful about irritating kings, barons, lords, princes also. Plus you had your criminals lurking about to do you harm.
Reformers/Protestants were not much better at tolerating "evil". Good example is the Puritans and the witch trials at Salem, Massachusetts.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.