Worshipping and loving Christ

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Worshipping and loving Christ

Post by RickD »

Storyteller,

You're on the right track. Keep reading. That's how we learn. Just be careful what you read, and pray for discernment. Sometimes a tiny bit of poison ruins the best food.

If you're reading something, and it doesn't seem quite right, just ask God to show you why your "discernment flag" was being raised.

And, there are plenty of us here who can help you out if you have any questions.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Did, do, and will :)

A whle ago I read a book by Darrion Brinkley, Secrets of the Light. Managed a chapter and something just felt "off", so I googled. Never picked it up again.

Love Wins by Rob Bell really piqued my interest in looking further into Christ and of course, The Gospel of Thomas. So God reaching me through false gospels and stories is nothing new.

I question everything I read, with Christ in my heart.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I've learned over time from reading,researching,etc that even a bad book can have some truth in it and even a good book can have bad information in it.The important thing is to be able to pick out the good stuff from the bad stuff regardless if they are good or bad books.I've read books that I thought were bad books mostly but still learned things I did'nt know from the good parts. Alot of people will not even read books from certian people because maybe they've read other books by them that were bad,or they found out they had some kind of bad doctrine,etc and so they just avoid all of their other books.But the important thing is to be able to pick out the good from the bad no matter what kind of book it is,even if it has nothing to do with the bible or Spirituality.Now from a Spirituality perspective as far as Christianity is concerned the only way we can pick out the good from the bad is God's word. You can still learn from bad stuff too as far as knowing about it,where it came from and how/why it is bad.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
crackpot
Familiar Member

Post by crackpot »

Storyteller wrote:crackpot assumed a lot about me, you didnt.crackpot judged, you offered discussion with an opinion.
I didn't judge you. I also understand that you must maintain your position towards me to preserve your pride. So be it.

You are mistaken in assuming that you can learn anything useful about Jesus from corrupt sources. THE source is your bible. All others must be considered suspect unless they agree with your scriptures.

Read what this guy said and let it sink in:
Philip wrote:
What makes you think you are going to get "more" info on Jesus from other sources?
This is why God gave us prophets, apostles, teachers and those who have dedicated much time, study and contemplation to Scripture. And when God raises up such, He imparts to them spiritual gifts that equip them as teachers, ministers, pastors, theologians, etc. And as Scripture was written in languages foreign and ancient (to us), then those who have relentlessly studied the surrounding issues are better prepared to bring illumination to us.
How do you determine if these other sources are informing you correctly about Jesus?
That's a great question! First, you can bet that NO one providing illumination to the Bible is likely to have EVERY aspect correct. There ARE issues and passages in Scripture that reasonable people can speculate upon as to their exact meanings. But one marker that is crucial is 1) Whom and WHAT do they say Jesus is, and 2) What do they say is necessary for salvation. So, if a source of teaching denies the historical/Biblical Christ, then RUN from all they say. If they subtract or add to what Jesus says is necessary for salvation (faith and belief in Who and What He is), then RUN - as an awful lot of bad teaching - even heretically so - comes from those with a message that "faith in Jesus-plus _____________ is necessary for salvation. Many would also cause much anguish with false teachings that either diminish fruitful living or add burdens and cause problems.

I am VERY wary of what many denominations teach, as they often have morphed both Scripture AND their own traditions into their doctrines. If a thing is taught that cannot be found or discerned within Scripture, be VERY wary of it. Ritual-based stuff - stay AWAY! Mysticism and secret knowledge - or knowledge that only a certain person supposedly has - STAY AWAY. Over time, if you stick with those who take Scripture to be their guide, that point ONLY to Jesus as the answer to salvation, you will begin to understand sources that are trustworthy. Research people - what criticisms are there of various teachers? Do the criticisms have merit? Are people trying to honor Scripture, or are they adding to it with legalistic inclusions? Know what Biblical-based instructions are for interpreting and understanding Scripture - there are rules of consistency that are important. Beware of teachings seeking to tie up assertions concerning Scripture into neat systems of interpretation - remember, the logic of man can often fail to correctly discern Scripture because it is concerned with some man-made construction or system/lens through which is asserts correct interpretation must follow.

Just because Scripture says "A" is true, and "B" is true, men can sometimes wrongly conclude that these mean "C" is true - even if "C" must contradict other Scripture to be so. This is the mistake of systems, like Five Point Calvinism and Arminianism. Beware the ISMS - whatever their source. Yes, A and B might be true, but it doesn't mean C is. Especially if C contradicts D and F, which Scripture shows to be true as well. So many times, a doctrinal teaching passes certain tests, but then some other part of it ignores other key Scripture - WHY, because it doesn't fit with the originators' SYSTEM. God is not subject to a man-made system or logic. Yes, there is a very discernible consistency to Scripture - but that's not to say God thinks like a man does. We can't put God in our own man-made theology box - or ANY box!

Lastly, pray for understanding that God will open your mind to better understand His Word, and how to apply it. Pray to find useful and accurate resources for further understandings.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

On kindle so please excuse poor typing etc..

You assumed I didnt read the bible, asking why "an atheist" should have to point it out.
I read the bible every day along with several other books.

By reading differing views I find out what mine are.

I have found Jesus in places, and books, other than the bible.

If you werent judging me why assume my pride would stop an apology? Do you know me at all?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

And I always pay attention to what philip posts :)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:And I always pay attention to what philip posts :)

I remember Philip way back when he was PhiliptheCurious. He was so young and innocent back then.
:baby:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Wow!

You really are old :wheelchair:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Wow!

You really are old :wheelchair:
Listen young lady!!!

Don't make me get out of my wheelchair and hit you with my cane!!!
:grandpa:

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I remember Philip way back when he was PhiliptheCurious. He was so young and innocent back then.
I'm still young! :D If a bit guilty. :roll:
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Sounds like you've earned a reputation -- a Good one. :)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Storyteller wrote:I have been watching a few videos and reading a lot recently. I have realised so much. The biggest thing was my love and worship of Christ.

Sure, I said I worshipped Christ but really, it was from a selfish heart. It was more about prolonging "me" rather than truly giving myself over to Christ.
Everything I have, everything I see, all that I am is because God loved, and loves me.

A few garbled thoughts..

Imagine a flower,you have the root and the stem, thorns and the flower. How does the root appreciate the flower, how does it see what beauty it will become? This life and heaven is kindalike that.
(not my idea, an explanation from Cross Roads by W P Young.)

I am starting to really know Christ, through what im reading, which makes sense as I live in a world of words.

Two books that really helped me think things through, helped me a step nearer to God, Cross Roads, and Crazy Love by Francis Chan.

I want my life to be more about Christ and less about me. But I dont wana lose me.

You mentioning a flower made me think of this song.

Flower In The Rain. For you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdE_la8YZ54
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.