The Trinity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

The Trinity

Post by Mallz »

Genesis 1:27
We are the image of Him. We are made to have YHWH live and dwell in/with us (the Holy Spirit), created to show and express YHWH to creation (Jesus [Son of Man]), and all belong to The (our) Father (Existence in actuality). All three could be unpacked.

Thoughts?
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The Trinity

Post by crochet1949 »

All three parts of the Godhead were present at creation. Salvation was made possible through the trinity.

The Holy Spirit part of the trinity Does come to indwell the person at the instant of salvation. He keeps us secure until we are With Jesus forever.

Jesus Christ was God incarnate /in the flesh.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I'd be interested in seeing how you unpack it.

My own brief take would be someting like this: I notice that the text explicitly says in Gen 1:2 that "the spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters," and that idea of "hovering" almost has an idea of cultivating or caring. It's a very life-giving word picture. Yahweh is here with His creation, in His creation, and given that we are in His image, how much more should that be said of us? And that throug His Spirit, so I think you're right there. I also think you're right on the second part. For technical Hebrew reasons, I think we could literally translate the phrase "in Our image" as "as Our image." I think in an important sense, we are not just in the image of God, but we are the image of God. And if that is so, how much more fitting for God to become man, to incarnate, so that a single man is God in the fullest sense? And more, man is to rule over the world, but under God, and so man represents God to all of creation. Again, I think that's fitting. And finally, all of this is by and for God Himself. So I think you're right in your last part.

I would be careful to say we have the Trinity properly explained or taught in these verses, but I do think that, knowing about the Trinity, that we are more than justified in seeing its place in the Genesis account of creation. Exegetically, Moses isn't teaching the Trinity. But I think we do see hints of theological truths that ultimately unfold in a proper doctrine, so that we can see in retrospect where all this was going from the beginning. It's a really beautiful picture, I think.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

I think in an important sense, we are not just in the image of God, but we are the image of God. And if that is so, how much more fitting for God to become man, to incarnate, so that a single man is God in the fullest sense? And more, man is to rule over the world, but under God, and so man represents God to all of creation.
This is the ticket. There's no need for using different forms of language to explain the Trinity. We are the explanation. Humanity is the allegory of YHWH (And yeah, I mean allegory, not metaphor).
I would be careful to say we have the Trinity properly explained or taught in these verses, but I do think that, knowing about the Trinity, that we are more than justified in seeing its place in the Genesis account of creation. Exegetically, Moses isn't teaching the Trinity. But I think we do see hints of theological truths that ultimately unfold in a proper doctrine, so that we can see in retrospect where all this was going from the beginning. It's a really beautiful picture, I think.
I was using the genesis verse as showing we are His image (a thesis statement ;)), even though He is expressed in them :P ^_^
And it is beautiful to see the harmony throughout it all. What is the Bible? It's His love story expressed. It's undeniable Truth. Which is why it's so hated and used/abused which has led to pandemic confusion.
We are made to have YHWH live and dwell in/with us (the Holy Spirit)
You hit the nail in the head when you said "...the spirit of God [is] cultivating or caring... a very life-giving word picture... Yahweh is here with His creation, in His creation, and given that we are in His image, how much more should that be said of us?" Think of the things humanity does. How we harness and manipulate to propagate and 'create'. What animates us? Our spirit. The Spirit. The affects to existence we have are from our spirit. Who Is the Holy Spirit and in what relation to YHWH? And us? Isn't it as simple as understanding our own Spirit? (the allegory of the Holy Spirit [need to understand Him to understand our own spirit]). And if we weren't fallen, we wouldn't needed to be guided to Him, as we are cut off and it's hard to learn directly from Him in this age.

Aaaand I've already had a bit to drink so I think I should stop here before I get incoherent and continue later ^_^
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

I don't believe that That is what is being said / our being the image of God / God is spirit / we are not spirit/we have a body Like Jesus' body. For those 33 yrs of Jesus being here on earth / God in the flesh / Jesus was like us, with a Body. God is referred to as He , the male gender. Jesus Christ is the male gender, Not female.
The Holy Spirit of God gives us spiritual life. Coming to indwell people when we make a personal decision to accept Jesus Christ as our personal Savior.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

crochet1949 wrote:I don't believe that That is what is being said / our being the image of God / God is spirit / we are not spirit/we have a body Like Jesus' body. For those 33 yrs of Jesus being here on earth / God in the flesh / Jesus was like us, with a Body. God is referred to as He , the male gender. Jesus Christ is the male gender, Not female.
The Holy Spirit of God gives us spiritual life. Coming to indwell people when we make a personal decision to accept Jesus Christ as our personal Savior.
You don't think we are spirit..? We have a body like Jesus' mortal body, but we don't have a body like His, yet. And, again, I was using that scripture just to point out we are His image to show that we can know Him (and some inner workings) by knowing us (how can we know ourselves if we don't even know what image we are of?). Anyways, I think I was just as confused by your response as you were to my post. I was letting this thread die and think it should..
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

I was pursuing it because the Trinity is important and can be confusing. And, yes, we Are partly spirit because after we die -- our spirit lives on. But while on this earth, we are physical, our bodies Will die. If you don't want to pursue it , then just let this go.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

I was pursuing it because the Trinity is important and can be confusing. And, yes, we Are partly spirit because after we die -- our spirit lives on. But while on this earth, we are physical, our bodies Will die. If you don't want to pursue it , then just let this go.
I'll talk with you. ^_^
We are both physical and spirit now. We will lose this physical body and gain an eternal body soon. But that passing doesn't say we have no spirit now. As if we gained spirit when we lose physical. So I guess I'm confused as to what you're saying? Do you think we are not physical and spirit at the same 'time'?
We get life from Him. People still have a spirit even if they don't believe in Him. They won't be born into life as they aren't born of the Spirit. They instead will be born into death, their spirit carries on but in an eternally degenerating body (lack of life).
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

It sounds like we Do agree -- simply expressing differently. Yes, we Are both physical and spirit now. Before salvation we are spiritually dead. The Holy Spirit gives Life to a person.

People don't usually talk about the Holy Spirit. Either people seem to go 'over-board' with it or the subject scares them.

Looking back in the thread -- it was more Jac3510's comments that I was concerned about.

Just rereading some again -- God IS Spirit -- we are Not spirit -- because that would mean we are like God. We are People. And there is a difference between God Being Spirit and the Holy Spirit coming to indwell the born-gain believer.
We are talking about three different parts of the Godhead. And we are talking about People.
Is this making sense?
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

It sounds like we Do agree -- simply expressing differently. Yes, we Are both physical and spirit now. Before salvation we are spiritually dead. The Holy Spirit gives Life to a person.

People don't usually talk about the Holy Spirit. Either people seem to go 'over-board' with it or the subject scares them.

Looking back in the thread -- it was more Jac3510's comments that I was concerned about.

Just rereading some again -- God IS Spirit -- we are Not spirit -- because that would mean we are like God. We are People. And there is a difference between God Being Spirit and the Holy Spirit coming to indwell the born-gain believer.
We are talking about three different parts of the Godhead. And we are talking about People.
Is this making sense?
Jac was spot on in his response. What do you have a problem with? We are spirit. Why do you think we aren't? The only difference between God being Spirit and the Holy Spirit is the two different Persons. There is nothing about the Holy Spirit that is separate or different from the Father or Jesus, just personality. The Holy Spirit makes His home with us, with our spirit and body. People have a spirit and a physical body expressed by the spirit. We wouldn't exist if we didn't have a spirit. I think we're still trying to understand each other. What do you think?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

People tend to not talk about the HS as much because people are, for some reason, very uncomfortable with the supernatural.
Which is strange for Christians, very strange when you think of it.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

PaulSacramento wrote:People tend to not talk about the HS as much because people are, for some reason, very uncomfortable with the supernatural.
Which is strange for Christians, very strange when you think of it.
Reminds me of: 2 Timothy 3:5
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Being created in His image means we are His image bearers.
What is said afterwards?
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [ak]sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [al]sky and over every living thing that [am]moves on the earth.
We are to be, on Earth, Like God is to Us in Heaven:
Caretakers of His creation.
To be in His image is to reflect the tasks of caretaking, sustaining and providing for creation, our planet Earth.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

God the Father.

Our Father, our Creator.

God the Son.
God fully flesh. God has lived as a human, with a human heart. God dwelt among us to show us how to live with Him.

God the Holy Spirit.
God/Christ dwelling within us.

In our image, I think means, in a relationship sort of sense. Creating us in the image of God. Love, relationships.
Our spirit is in His image.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

God has given each of us physical life -- but we don't become a child of God until we accept His son, Jesus Christ, as our personal Savior. Then is when the Holy Spirit part of the Godhead comes to indwell the person.

Jesus Christ's purpose while on earth was to show us / point us to/ God the Father the Savior /// I and the Father are One. Awesome. Mysterious.