Why is it the word evangelical a bad name in some circles?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

I have seen this on the faces of some in my congregation, including the Pastor.

What do evangelicals do that would cause this reaction?

Thanks.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Why is it the word evangelical a bad name in some circles?

Post by PaulSacramento »

Overzealous preaching and closed mindedness in regards to doctrine.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

All the evangelicals I've met are pretty open minded. I've never heard it has a bad connotation or heard someone saying anything bad about it.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

IceMobster wrote:All the evangelicals I've met are pretty open minded. I've never heard it has a bad connotation or heard someone saying anything bad about it.
You may need to get out more.
Especially in the states, evangelicals are viewed as I described above.
Are they that way?
No, at least the majority aren't.
I have met some that are that way though.
Of course, you get extremists in every denomination.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Evangelicalism/Evangelical is a very broad term. I've heard it used as simply another term for a Christian. And I've also heard it used as a derogatory term describing a Christian who is very dogmatic and pushy with what they believe.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

RickD wrote:Evangelicalism/Evangelical is a very broad term. I've heard it used as simply another term for a Christian. And I've also heard it used as a derogatory term describing a Christian who is very dogmatic and pushy with what they believe.
*shrug* Wouldn't bother me. You can also use the same definition for "Puritan" I believe. Both Evangelical and Puritan, when you boil it down, means "very Christian". Being considered Christian is a very positive thing. So to be called either Puritan or Evangelical is, in my mind, a very nice compliment.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:Evangelicalism/Evangelical is a very broad term. I've heard it used as simply another term for a Christian. And I've also heard it used as a derogatory term describing a Christian who is very dogmatic and pushy with what they believe.
Indeed.
I am/was referring to Evangelical as a denomination of Protestantism. :mrgreen:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Christian2 wrote:Why is it the word evangelical a bad name in some circles?

I have seen this on the faces of some in my congregation, including the Pastor.

What do evangelicals do that would cause this reaction?

Thanks.
For several reasons, but the main one is for marketing purposes in order to justify making seeker sensitive ie market driven churches more and more Laodicean in like, tone, and kind.

This is used to increase the numbers in a church to increase the giving/tithing base by blaming past evangelism as too guilt driven, etc and etc as pointed out in post on this forum.

You have people using worldly marketing strategies to promote church growth and thus through polling data, terms like Evangelical, Christian are used to gauge responses primarily of the non-Christians. So right there you will have a spurious result because what non-Christian does not have a bias?

They use this bias to market Church growth/planting strategies to appeal and be more like the world so church does not offend anyone.

So they capitalize on bad doctrine performed by naive people that does not produce any life altering change in a person based upon a need to feel holier than thou. This bad teaching is touted as the norm for all Christendom in order to justify a marketing approach to increase numbers in a church to increase tithing - giving base as well as promote more bad doctrine upon people.

People all say, "I do not want to be condemn or feel condemned so Christians make me feel condemned and that is a great sin against me and wrong. We must be tolerant, non-threatening, politically correct and non-offensive to the ways of sin for the goodness of God leads to repentance,." Therefore, no one wants to be called a bad name like an - Evangelical, Christian etc... they are the bad guys. We are the good guys, so come to our church!

The goodness of God leads to repentance is touted as an excuse not to have your mind transformed, ways of thinking changed, and taking steps to stop bad and do good in this life. Think about it, God's goodness leads to repentance and as such comes by being cut to the heart, feeling shame, and condemned. Doubt this then read Acts 2:37...

In fact, this is one of the hallmarks of the Holy Spirit Jesus mentioned in John 16:8-11

"And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged." NASB

Look up the Greek word translated convict for example. It means to feel shame, to disgrace, to convict, to prove one in the wrong and thus to shame him.

It is like a child who has a wood splinter in his hand. If left alone and not removed it festers infection, blood poisoning, possibly gangrene can set in, if left unremoved, etc. The deeply embedded splinter becomes more painful as the infection spreads so it is best to dig it out before it causes more harm. That digging out is painful and it hurts.

However once removed - no pain, healing sets in, restoration achieved. That is how the goodness of God works leading one to repentance. The Holy Spirit digs out the sprinters and it is painful to go through at the time, but afterwards healing!

In the market driven churches, the convicting work of the Holy Spirit is frowned upon, often ridiculed... never speak of judgment either. So you will have large numbers of attendees every week but very little pain relief if any as all such draining the puss out of people’s lives is not allowed because it is too condemning, evangelical, Christian...

So now people can enjoy the Market Driven Church Laodicean church and have a great day as they know better than God!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Audacity
BANNED
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audacity »

Why the word evangelical is a bad name in most circles

.........................................................ITS LEADER$

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Evangelicals are meant to bring a message of good news from God.
If they don't do this, then they fail most epicly.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Thanks guys.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Christian2 wrote:Thanks guys.
Hope all this helps in some way for you...

Remember Elijah in the cave... and how he learned where God is and to depend on him alone.

One of the lines Johnny Cash's last song - Hurt - is this: I will let you down...

That is true, all of us human beings will let each other down at sometime.

That is why learning forgiveness is important and learning to lean totally on Jesus Christ who will not let you down no matter the storm. He forgives and restores those fallen ministers and Christians who have sincerely learn from their failings. Much better than folks do.

Why churches are a mess is because people have a sin nature that is coddled and easily manipulated. There is very little true honest repentance and releasing from sins taught in churches these days. Most is pop psychology, and the latest marketing schemes painted with jesus paint. Thankfully there are a few out there but the pickings are slim.

We can complain about all this or we can begin to pray and seek direction on what our part is to remedy this mess...

Basically don't live behind a facade... what you see is what you get. Live life truthfully as you are and in so doing you will find the change needed in your life by Christ Jesus unseen hand of correction and direction... don't fear conviction...as it removes the infection within one's soul that causes so much woe.

Blessings
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I named my daughter Evangeline. (Audacity I saw that face palm!)

Evangeline Lilli... I quite love the name.
My little message from God embodied.
She is an angel and teaches me much.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)