Who speaks for the Christian Church/Churches?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Who speaks for the Christian Church/Churches?

Post by Christian2 »

Is there some kind of control over Christians making sure they interpret Scriptures correctly?

I would think the Pope would oversee the Roman Catholic Church, but what about the others?

Thanks.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Who speaks for the Christian Church/Churches?

Post by B. W. »

Christian2 wrote:Is there some kind of control over Christians making sure they interpret Scriptures correctly?

I would think the Pope would oversee the Roman Catholic Church, but what about the others?

Thanks.
Yes, in Protestantism, it is called Bible Colleges...

The Eastern Orthodox it is the local Church community...

In RC it is the Pope...

In the Bible, it teaches in John 16, it is the Holy Spirit who grants teaching and insights from the word of God written.

So... there you have it...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Thanks.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Post by IceMobster »

Will you stop saying Roman Catholic Church? It isn't just Roman. It is called Catholic Church for a reason.

And it is not just the Pope. It can go from a local Church community to the Magisterium of the Church.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

IceMobster wrote:Will you stop saying Roman Catholic Church? It isn't just Roman. It is called Catholic Church for a reason.

And it is not just the Pope. It can go from a local Church community to the Magisterium of the Church.
Sorry, I apologize.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Christian2 wrote:
IceMobster wrote:Will you stop saying Roman Catholic Church? It isn't just Roman. It is called Catholic Church for a reason.

Sorry, I apologize.
Haha. <3
It's k, it's not your fault, but like, many other Churches are within Catholic Church (Greek Catholic, Coptic, Syrian, Malobard,...) so it is kinda stupid to say RCC (I understand that it is usually said RCC in the media, and simply cause of its geographical position but still) because you leave out these guys. And they cry when you do that :crying:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Actually, that are various denominations of Catholicism, as for example, the Old Catholics.
So, it is actually quite correct to say the Roman Catholic Church when referring to Catholic Church with the headquarters in the vatican.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

IceMobster,

It's the same thing.

http://www.catholic.org/pope/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_(term)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Well, my theology professor is a main guy in desk of Church history on a theology university, so I'll take his words over yours when he says that pope is the supreme head of all Catholics which is why it would be preferred to say CC and not RCC (as written in the wiki link Rick linked: "To refer to all 24 autonomous churches (all of which are subject to the Pope) together, official church documents often use the term "Catholic Church" or, less frequently, the term "Roman Catholic Church".")

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Christian2 wrote:Is there some kind of control over Christians making sure they interpret Scriptures correctly?

Thanks.
It is every believers responsibility to make sure they are being taught sound doctrine according to the word of God. The bible warns us alot about false teachers,false prophets,false doctrine,etc.I know that alot of believers seem to rely on their preacher, a minister,ministry,etc and just trust their biblical knowledge,but ultimately it is every person's responsibility to make sure they are being taught sound Christian doctrine that lines up with God's word. This applies to everybody too really, even non-believers.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:Well, my theology professor is a main guy in desk of Church history on a theology university, so I'll take his words over yours when he says that pope is the supreme head of all Catholics which is why it would be preferred to say CC and not RCC (as written in the wiki link Rick linked: "To refer to all 24 autonomous churches (all of which are subject to the Pope) together, official church documents often use the term "Catholic Church" or, less frequently, the term "Roman Catholic Church".")
You criticized Christian2 unnecessarily. The pope is the bishop of Rome. Roman Catholic is just another way some people refer to the Catholic Church. Especially in the west.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

I didn't criticize just him. I did this in another topic as well. But, meh... :whee:

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

IceMobster wrote:Well, my theology professor is a main guy in desk of Church history on a theology university, so I'll take his words over yours when he says that pope is the supreme head of all Catholics which is why it would be preferred to say CC and not RCC (as written in the wiki link Rick linked: "To refer to all 24 autonomous churches (all of which are subject to the Pope) together, official church documents often use the term "Catholic Church" or, less frequently, the term "Roman Catholic Church".")
Well then, considering the supremacy of the Pope, maybe we should call it the Roman Catholic Cult? Ask your professor what he thinks of that. ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
Well then, considering the supremacy of the Pope, maybe we should call it the Roman Catholic Cult? Ask your professor what he thinks of that. ;)
Now Kurieuo,

Why must you :stirthepot: ?

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Well, so long as IceMobster isn't being graded by this guy, I see no harm. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)