Peccatum originale originatum

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Peccatum originale originatum

Post by IceMobster »

Why did God punish all humanity for the sins of one man?

Take it like this, you tell your son not to do that and he does it (and he did it in the worst possible way) and you give him a slap (now this is hypothetical, I'm not taking into account if you would do it or not...). Fine, right?

Well, God slapped us so hard He gave us mortality.Thank you, God!

Have in mind this question was posed to me by a nihilist I know.

I replied that, as a Christian (sorry for the hypocrisy, lol - he knows I'm not one, I just stated that this would be a Christian view upon the topic), death is not the end but an entrance to vita eterna (life eternal) through grace and good deeds (well, depends on the Christian denomination, but you get my point).
Nevertheless, I don't see fit how we are to be guilty because someone else screwed up. Unless it shouldn't be taken as literally... Hmpf.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Peccatum originale originatum

Post by RickD »

I don't think God punished us for Adam's sin. Adam and Eve were banished from the garden, because of their sin. The tree of life was in the garden. The tree was what God used to keep them from dying. There's nothing in the text that says all people were immortal.

And, to go further, it was God's grace that removed them from access to the tree of life. Think of how much damage we do in the short life we have. If they were allowed to live forever in their fallen nature...
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

There is not just ONE doctrine of original sin.
EX:
http://biologos.org/blogs/jim-stump-fai ... iginal-sin

As a matter of fact, if you didn't have the NT the notion of original sin would be very different then most Christian believe.
See, from genesis, as Rick pointed out, all we get is that man, because of Adam and Eve's sin, will die, ie: they lost the chance to eat from the tree of life and be immortal.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Man, apart from God, and due to their rebellion against Him, enevitably will sin. And God knew this would happen. He also knew that this sin nature would also be inherent in all of Adam and Eve's offspring. To sin is man's typical default behaviour. But to be Born in sin is not that a newborn is born sinning, but that every child is born with Adam and Eve's sin NATURE - which is a natural desire and INEVITABILITY to sin. All babies born also have inherited Adam's sin nature, which means they will, at some point, begin to likewise willfully sin. And so people are not held accountable for Adam's sins, but for those of their own. The remedy is forgiveness, ONLY available, through faith in Jesus.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

IceMobster wrote:Why did God punish all humanity for the sins of one man?

Take it like this, you tell your son not to do that and he does it (and he did it in the worst possible way) and you give him a slap (now this is hypothetical, I'm not taking into account if you would do it or not...). Fine, right?

Well, God slapped us so hard He gave us mortality.Thank you, God!

Have in mind this question was posed to me by a nihilist I know.

I replied that, as a Christian (sorry for the hypocrisy, lol - he knows I'm not one, I just stated that this would be a Christian view upon the topic), death is not the end but an entrance to vita eterna (life eternal) through grace and good deeds (well, depends on the Christian denomination, but you get my point).
Nevertheless, I don't see fit how we are to be guilty because someone else screwed up. Unless it shouldn't be taken as literally... Hmpf.
Before the foundations of the world God knew man would sin so he already had a plan in place to be redeemed from sin,despite man's sin God still chose to love us and chooses to have a relationiship with all of us who put our faith in him despite our sin and through Jesus God does not see our sin and we are redeemed through him.

More Than A Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrwddjCKgQ
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.