St. Thomas Aquinas' 5 arguments of God's existance

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

St. Thomas Aquinas' 5 arguments of God's existance

Post by IceMobster »

What is your opinion on this?

I've been reading what the "other side" has to say concerning this. A pretty good read:
http://atheistnexus.org/profiles/blogs/ ... pologetics
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes

Re: St. Thomas Aquinas' 5 arguments of God's existance

Post by Mallz »

The 5 arguments are pretty solid, and usually very misunderstood. I haven't seen a refutation that wasn't a fallacy or stemming from ignorance over what Aquinas is saying. Can't read the link so can't give you an opinion about it. Posted mainly to point you to Jacs book which I think you'd enjoy and is informative. Don't have the link, so maybe someone will jump in and post it? Rickd? :D
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I have yet to read ONE correct refutation of Aquina's 5 arguments.
I have read many that misinterpret his arguments and create false one that hen they go on and dispell.
That is, of course, not the same thing as actually refuting the correct argument.
A very common example is how Aquinas states that ALL things that COME INTO BEING have a cause ( which they do).
The typical argument goes:
A) not all things have a cause
B) what cause God then?

Not that the rebuttals do NOT address what Aquinas says because he does NOT say ALL things have a cause, he states that ALL things that COME INTO BEING, have a cause.
A HUGE difference.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

What a boring read that is. Not because the content of it is boring, but because of how the author addresses the reader. I'm having a feeling the author thinks I'm retarded(probably because he repeats himself and I just got that impression). Can't wait to get to the philosophical explaining of DS, I'm at Biblical now. :mrgreen:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:
What a boring read that is. Not because the content of it is boring, but because of how the author addresses the reader. I'm having a feeling the author thinks I'm retarded(probably because he repeats himself and I just got that impression). Can't wait to get to the philosophical explaining of DS, I'm at Biblical now. :mrgreen:
It's because he's trying to simplify(as much as possible) a very difficult subject.

It's written for the layman like myself. And it's the first time I've been able to understand the subject. I don't think it could've been written any better.(at the risk of inflating someone's head).

But seriously, I call it like I see it. Finish reading the book before you judge it. If it helps you understand divine simplicity, then the author has done his job.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

IceMobster wrote:
If that bored you then you must be more than ready for the full-blown philosophical argument. Here's the abridged version. After you read it, please come back and summarize it in laymen's terms so we can all understand it.

P.S. My favorite part is Constituent Versus Nonconstituent Ontology. :sleep:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Byblos wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
If that bored you then you must be more than ready for the full-blown philosophical argument. Here's the abridged version. After you read it, please come back and summarize it in laymen's terms so we can all understand it.

P.S. My favorite part is Constituent Versus Nonconstituent Ontology. :sleep:
As I said, I'm not onto philosophical parts yet. Calm down, just a first impression. :mrgreen: <3