Angels

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Angels

Post by IceMobster »

Are angels under direct will of God or are they given free will much like it has been given to us humans?

If they are, Satan and demons' existence is a contradiction to the answer of the question.

If they are not, how do we know they served the will of God when they revealed themselves in the Bible (or in today's life)?

If they do have free will, it would mean they are superior to us in both the level of being(being transcendental) and in having the free will...
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Angels

Post by Jac3510 »

They have free will. In fact, I would argue that, at present, they are freer than we are (which you last statement seems to recognize).

How do you conclude that the existence of Satan and demons contradicts that point?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

I mean that if they didn't have free will, Satan would not exist. Because he couldn't choose anything since he would be under the direct will of God.

But, if they do have free will, how do we know they served the will of God when they talked(through Scripture) and talk to us(if we take into account that they do)? Much like, with free will, we may or may not follow the will of God.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

IceMobster wrote:I mean that if they didn't have free will, Satan would not exist. Because he couldn't choose anything since he would be under the direct will of God.
That's fine. I can see the reasoning there, but since they do have free will, I guess it's sort of a moot point.
But, if they do have free will, how do we know they served the will of God when they talked(through Scripture) and talk to us(if we take into account that they do)? Much like, with free will, we may or may not follow the will of God.
Just like anything and anybody else. We look at what they are saying. Paul tells us in Galatians that even if an angels were to declare a gospel contrary to what we have been told, then we are to recognize that they are lying.

Beyond that, though, it's worth noting that it is impossible, technically, for an angel to act against the will of God. The moment they do that, they become demons--unclean spirits. They don't have the opportunity that humans do to repent. On the other hand, it seems very likely that those who are angels are so precisely because they did use their free will to do the will of God. So while demons/unclean spirits can present themselves as angels and try to deceive us, the question for us is more how do we know whether we are dealing with an angel or a demon. It's not really an ontological or metaphysical question about if have or can exercise free will. And to that, again, the Bible tells us simply that we are to "test the spirits." If they speak truth, they are angels. If they lie, they are demonic.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

IceMobster wrote:I mean that if they didn't have free will, Satan would not exist. Because he couldn't choose anything since he would be under the direct will of God.

The bible tells us both angels and humans were created by God with free-will.At one time Lucifer was a good angel but at some point he rebelled and became Satan,but also a third of the angels God created rebelled with Lucifer and now they are against the will of God.

The bible teaches us about spiritual warfare and how to combat and deal with this evil kingdom against the will of God and we are smart if we learn how to. Also angels seem to appear as men and never women in the bible so even if you saw an angel you could entertain it unawares and not even know it was an angel. Demons are different they are evil spirits that seek oppression and possession and cannot be seen.

Despite this evil kingdom against God they cannot make you do anything against your will unless you are a possessed person,they can only put evil/bad thoughts in your mind and it is up to you whether you carry it out. Quoting the bible is your weapon against them,it is your weapon to inflict damage,the word of God is your sword and its important as a believer to be ready to use it as needed or they can wreak havoc in a person's life.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.