Does God love evil doers?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Does God love evil doers?

Post by PaulSacramento »

The question was, in a nutshell, does the Christian understanding of an all loving God do God justice or is the Islam view of how God loves better?

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/does-god-love-evil-doers

IMO, Dr Craig's view is spot on.

It seems to me rather straightforward to prove that God, if He exists, must be all-loving. God by definition is the greatest conceivable being. If there were anything you could conceive of greater than God, then that would be God! Thus, Muslims and Christians agree that, necessarily, God is the greatest conceivable being. Now besides being all-powerful and all-knowing, the greatest conceivable being must also be morally perfect. That means that God must be all-loving. For it is obviously morally better to be all-loving than not. Specifically it is better to love others unconditionally, impartially, and universally, rather than to be merely conditionally, partially, or selectively loving. What would you think of a parent who said to his children, “If you measure up to my standards and do as I say, then (and only then) will I love you”? People who have had parents like that, who didn’t love them unconditionally, know the emotional scars they bear as a result. As the greatest conceivable being, the most perfect being, the source of all goodness and love, God’s love must be unconditional, impartial, and universal. Therefore, God, as the perfect being, must be all-loving.

Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/does-god ... z3x3U3IfdH
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Does God love evil doers?

Post by RickD »

Yes.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:Yes.
I also found his comparisons between how Islam views God's love and we do, very interesting.
A conditional loving God, a God that loves only because certain conditions are met is, by definition, a lesser being then one that is an ALL loving God, a God whose love is NOT LIMITED by any conditions.
Just consider the following passages:

“God loves not the unbelievers” (III.25)

“God loves not evildoers” (III. 30)

“God loves not the proud” (IV. 40)

“God loves not transgressors” (V. 85)

“God loves not the prodigal” (VI. 140)

“God loves not the treacherous” (VIII.60)

“God is an enemy to unbelievers” (II. 90)

Over and over again the Qur’an declares that God does not love the very people whom the Bible says God loves so much that He sent His Son to die for them!

Now, as you note, there are different Arabic words predicated of Allah in the Qur’an which seem to express his love, e.g., the Qur’an’s calling Allah “al-Rahman al-Rahim” —the All-Merciful, the All-Compassionate—until you realize just what, according to the Qur’an, Allah’s mercy and compassion really cash out to. In calling God all-merciful and all-compassionate, what the Qur’an means is that if you believe and do righteous deeds, then God can be counted on to give you what you have earned, plus a bonus. Thus, the Qur’an promises,

Work and God will surely see your work. (IX. 105)

Every soul shall be paid in full for what it has earned. (II. 280)

Those who believe and do deeds of righteousness and perform the prayer and pay the alms—their wage awaits them with the Lord. (II. 275)

That’s all Allah’s mercy and compassion amount to: you get what you deserve, plus a bonus. That’s not love.

According to the Qur’an God’s love is reserved only for those who earn it. It says,

To those who believe and do righteousness, God will assign love. (XIX. 95).

So the Qur’an assures us of God’s love for the God-fearing and the good-doers; but He has no love for sinners and unbelievers. Thus, in the Islamic conception, God is not all-loving. His love is partial and has to be earned. The Muslim God only loves those who first love Him. His love thus rises no higher than the love which Jesus said even tax-collectors and unbelievers exhibit.

Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/does-god ... z3x3sin3ZE
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I wish he wouldn't use the word "better," but I suppose that's the Molinist in him making its way to the surface. I'm not trying to be pedantic here. Some might argue it is "better" for God to be just than loving in the sense that it is "better" not to love those who do evil. You could certainly disagree with their reasoning, but the problem is their reasoning would be valid insofar as it would reflect their own internal moral sentiments. Their assumption, of course, would be that those moral sentiments reflect objective morality. But that's exactly my point. I don't think this argument would be terribly persuasive to Muslims precisely because they disagree with Christians on what is (im)moral in some very important places. So this argument would lead them to different conclusions.

How to avoid that? Don't use the word "better." Talk instead in more objective terms of God's perfections. To say God is the greatest conceivable being is to say that He has every and all perfection, and that He has each one perfectly--that is, that if God could have any given perfection in a lesser degree than He does (or if He lacked one), then He would in some way lack and therefore would not be the greatest conceivable. Thus we say that love is a perfection, and that God must therefore love without defect (and, to press matters further in a way that Muslims would agree with, given their commitment to the tawhid, this would entail that God's nature just is love--which is to say, God is not a being that has love but rather just is Love Itself). To suggest that God would not love someone, then, would be to contradict the nature of God. Such reasoning has absolutely nothing to do with our moral sentiments and is therefore a better (pardon the pun) approach. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Ok, I'm going to dance on some pin heads here with angels, because I'd like to.

I'm not so sure I agree that the "greatest conceivable being" necessarily extends to morality. This part of Craig's argument would need fleshing out. To be clear about what I mean, the "Necessary Something" (i.e., Being) responsible for all other existence must be the greatest ontological being, but what qualities such has needs further revealing before being conceived.

Nonetheless, in virtue of God being foundational to all else there can be nothing that exists higher than God. Therefore, if morality is a quality we witness the reality of in life, then there can be no higher morality than God. We do all identify moral rightness and wrongness in some way or another, so therefore it is right to say morality is a quality that God has even if such isn't a necessary logical condition of God's mere existence. We know God has a morality, because we see such a morality, and all things come from God who is the necessary foundation of all existence. So then, we believe God is moral and further that there is no morality higher than God who is the foundation.

SO then, if we can conceive of a higher moral God than a particular "God" we get told about (i.e., in the Koran) -- either our understanding in which we can see a higher moral God is wrong (e.g., we misunderstand what is being said or don't have all the information) [A], or the God conceived off who does actually contain a lesser morality is wrong (i.e., Allah, the God conceived of by Islam) .

Having this disjunction (`A` or `B`) is important and relevant. It also provides a way out of Craig's argument against the verses in the Koran. Muslims could opt for `A` perhaps.

Take for example someone who turns to the OT and says a higher moral, more loving and merciful God would have told Israel to save the Amalekites. Really, why did God order the killing of children? Now it looks like the God we believe in isn't the maximal one. Indeed, it is very hard to reconcile all qualities -- love, mercy, righteousness, justice, etc. BUT then perhaps we don't understand the fuller circumstances around such, which would actually lead to a more coherent understanding of God in the story.

With Islam, we can say that God hating this and that shows God to be less moral or loving, but then such is pinning God's morality or love against God's righteousness. In a way, God does not love the wicked since their sins make them like filthy rags, but nonetheless God loves the wicked and desires them to change, be cleansed and have a heart for Himself. Indeed some of the Koran verses of God seem hard to reconcile or "get off the hook".

At the end of the day though, Muslims are more likely to embrace God's will rather than lower God to man's judgement. This is why, in Muslim eyes, saying Jesus is God incarnate is a major insult to God -- because God wouldn't associate and dirty Himself with us human "swine". He's better than that. There can be no lowering of God whatsoever. It's a very strong sovereign view of God.

And also at the end of the day, it is often hard to see how Righteousness can be reconciled with Love and vice-versa. How the two can be made compatible. But, they must. For the foundational Something that exists, must possess both qualities. And since there is nothing higher than that Something (i.e., God), God must possess both maximally. We identity such qualities in the world, therefore they have a foundation, and I'd argue rather than treating each in an individual maximal sense that these qualities actually have a conjoined maximal foundation in God Himself. God is divinely simple after all, right Jac? ;)

So finally, turning back to these verses in the Koran. One must be able to say that the ideal balance of God's Love and Mercy isn't wrongly outweighed by God's Righteousness. If God's Love and Mercy could be a higher creating a more optimal balance with God's Righteousness, then the God described by the Koran is incorrect. Rather than just focusing on one side of the ratio -- all God's qualities must be taken collectively into consideration. I'd argue ("Allah willing" ;)) that the Islam view of God is so strong on God's Righteousness and Sovereignty that it throws away a maximum and perfectly optimised balance of "God's Love and Mercy" to "God's Righteousness and Sovereignty."
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Slightly OT but reading through this...

Re Muslims thinking Christ is not God because He wouldn`t lower Himself. He wouldn`t be God if He hadn`t, would He? If He hadn`t been man then we experience something God hasn`t, we have had something He hasn`t. That`s not possible, God is everything. Or, He is "in" everything. Not in a Oooo look that rock contains God, the rock is God way. It`s something I find so hard to explain, I just feel it.

God Himself, being the only perfect thing, our creator, is the only "person" possible to take on our sin, to carry it all, to absolve us from it. Only God can do that. God sacrificed Himself for us, so that we could know Him in His perfection.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

there certainly is no loss for information on the topic ... but love always wins the day, His love for us all and ours for the same ...

http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Evildoers

http://dailyverses.net/mercy

... and that love is the difference in not only how we present ourselves to one another and Him but also avails us the opportunity to forgive and love from this world until the next. the sublime interaction of heavenly love crosses over to us via the bridge we know as The Christ...
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Storyteller wrote:Slightly OT but reading through this...

Re Muslims thinking Christ is not God because He wouldn`t lower Himself. He wouldn`t be God if He hadn`t, would He? If He hadn`t been man then we experience something God hasn`t, we have had something He hasn`t. That`s not possible, God is everything. Or, He is "in" everything. Not in a Oooo look that rock contains God, the rock is God way. It`s something I find so hard to explain, I just feel it.

God Himself, being the only perfect thing, our creator, is the only "person" possible to take on our sin, to carry it all, to absolve us from it. Only God can do that. God sacrificed Himself for us, so that we could know Him in His perfection.
Here is the thing that they seem to not grasp also:

If Christ was not God then he is superiour to God.
Why?
Because Christ accomplished what God could not ( reconciliation between humans and God) and expressed the highest form of love ( compassionate self-sacrifice for another), something that God didn't do.

So, by those acts, Christ, if not God, is superiour than God.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Kurieuo wrote:Ok, I'm going to dance on some pin heads here with angels, because I'd like to.

I'm not so sure I agree that the "greatest conceivable being" necessarily extends to morality. This part of Craig's argument would need fleshing out. To be clear about what I mean, the "Necessary Something" (i.e., Being) responsible for all other existence must be the greatest ontological being, but what qualities such has needs further revealing before being conceived.

Nonetheless, in virtue of God being foundational to all else there can be nothing that exists higher than God. Therefore, if morality is a quality we witness the reality of in life, then there can be no higher morality than God. We do all identify moral rightness and wrongness in some way or another, so therefore it is right to say morality is a quality that God has even if such isn't a necessary logical condition of God's mere existence. We know God has a morality, because we see such a morality, and all things come from God who is the necessary foundation of all existence. So then, we believe God is moral and further that there is no morality higher than God who is the foundation.

SO then, if we can conceive of a higher moral God than a particular "God" we get told about (i.e., in the Koran) -- either our understanding in which we can see a higher moral God is wrong (e.g., we misunderstand what is being said or don't have all the information) [A], or the God conceived off who does actually contain a lesser morality is wrong (i.e., Allah, the God conceived of by Islam) .

Having this disjunction (`A` or `B`) is important and relevant. It also provides a way out of Craig's argument against the verses in the Koran. Muslims could opt for `A` perhaps.

Take for example someone who turns to the OT and says a higher moral, more loving and merciful God would have told Israel to save the Amalekites. Really, why did God order the killing of children? Now it looks like the God we believe in isn't the maximal one. Indeed, it is very hard to reconcile all qualities -- love, mercy, righteousness, justice, etc. BUT then perhaps we don't understand the fuller circumstances around such, which would actually lead to a more coherent understanding of God in the story.

With Islam, we can say that God hating this and that shows God to be less moral or loving, but then such is pinning God's morality or love against God's righteousness. In a way, God does not love the wicked since their sins make them like filthy rags, but nonetheless God loves the wicked and desires them to change, be cleansed and have a heart for Himself. Indeed some of the Koran verses of God seem hard to reconcile or "get off the hook".

At the end of the day though, Muslims are more likely to embrace God's will rather than lower God to man's judgement. This is why, in Muslim eyes, saying Jesus is God incarnate is a major insult to God -- because God wouldn't associate and dirty Himself with us human "swine". He's better than that. There can be no lowering of God whatsoever. It's a very strong sovereign view of God.

And also at the end of the day, it is often hard to see how Righteousness can be reconciled with Love and vice-versa. How the two can be made compatible. But, they must. For the foundational Something that exists, must possess both qualities. And since there is nothing higher than that Something (i.e., God), God must possess both maximally. We identity such qualities in the world, therefore they have a foundation, and I'd argue rather than treating each in an individual maximal sense that these qualities actually have a conjoined maximal foundation in God Himself. God is divinely simple after all, right Jac? ;)

So finally, turning back to these verses in the Koran. One must be able to say that the ideal balance of God's Love and Mercy isn't wrongly outweighed by God's Righteousness. If God's Love and Mercy could be a higher creating a more optimal balance with God's Righteousness, then the God described by the Koran is incorrect. Rather than just focusing on one side of the ratio -- all God's qualities must be taken collectively into consideration. I'd argue ("Allah willing" ;)) that the Islam view of God is so strong on God's Righteousness and Sovereignty that it throws away a maximum and perfectly optimised balance of "God's Love and Mercy" to "God's Righteousness and Sovereignty."

I think this is a very good analysis. I would only add one caveat when it comes to reconciling any of God's attributes, e.g. love and justice. I'm of the view that we need to make sure that we aren't placing God under necessity. So God's love cannot be interpreted to mean that He has to act this way whereas His justice means that He has to act that way. It seems to me that the basic assumptions behind the claim that it's hard to reconcile things has just that sort of necessity in mind, e.g., "If God were really just, He would punish all sin; but if God were really loving, He would forgive us. Therefore, God must do x to allow Himself to be just/loving/both." But that whole line of thought is a mistake, because it assumes that God must do anything at all. It seems to me that we ought to take seriously the idea that God doesn't owe us anything whatsoever. We literally cannot place God under ANY obligation. We only say that God cannot do the logically impossible, but that is due to no obligation but simply to the fact that the logically impossible isn't a thing to be done and is ultimately reduced to nonsense.

All that, then, is to say that these attributes like Justice and Love are deep metaphors. Love, properly understood, is when one acts in for the benefit of the other. So to say that God is love is to say that acts for our benefit. And, of course, that is true--not by necessity, mind you, but just in fact. And the same with all the other attributes. We can actually appeal to a type of strong anthropic principle to help understand this a bit more. God is under no necessity to love us (not even an internal necessity). But because He has freely chosen to love us, the fact is that we do exist. Were God to have not so chosen, we wouldn't even be here to debate the question!

So all that just strikes me as one more reason not to get into "better world" arguments with Muslims (or anyone else). Not only is there no guarantee that our moral sentiments accurately reflect objective morality (which must be grounded in God's (simple) nature), but there is further no way to place God under any sort of moral necessity whatsoever even if our moral sentiments COULD be proven to accurately reflect OM. And then add to all that the fact that the whole idea of "better" or "worse" is absolutely meaningless to an infinite God, and the whole question just because absurd on its face. No, once again, we would do well to drop this whole notion of "better" and stick with an analysis of nature as it is, which tells us something about the nature of God (which He is, not by necessity, but freely).
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Trying to measure and quantify God's Holy character and attributes per our human reasoning, understanding and values is ridiculous. God chooses and acts as He does because of WHO and WHAT He is, and all those attributes encompass. And that's the bottom line, is it not - that God simply IS! He can't be different than He is, or else He could change. In His unfathomable complexity and limitlessness, He is still a simple Being Who IS, doesn't change. The finite just cannot discern such an eternal, all-powerful, all EVERYTHING Being that is absolutely perfect. And to think such a Being humbled himself to go through what Jesus did - out of love and Holy purpose - His really is the Greatest Story ever told! Guess that's why it's called HIStory.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Ok, I'm going to dance on some pin heads here with angels, because I'd like to.

SO then, if we can conceive of a higher moral God than a particular "God" we get told about (i.e., in the Koran) -- either our understanding in which we can see a higher moral God is wrong (e.g., we misunderstand what is being said or don't have all the information) [`A`], or the God conceived off who does actually contain a lesser morality is wrong (i.e., Allah, the God conceived of by Islam) [`B`].

I think this is a very good analysis. I would only add one caveat when it comes to reconciling any of God's attributes, e.g. love and justice. I'm of the view that we need to make sure that we aren't placing God under necessity. So God's love cannot be interpreted to mean that He has to act this way whereas His justice means that He has to act that way. It seems to me that the basic assumptions behind the claim that it's hard to reconcile things has just that sort of necessity in mind, e.g., "If God were really just, He would punish all sin; but if God were really loving, He would forgive us. Therefore, God must do x to allow Himself to be just/loving/both." But that whole line of thought is a mistake, because it assumes that God must do anything at all. It seems to me that we ought to take seriously the idea that God doesn't owe us anything whatsoever. We literally cannot place God under ANY obligation. We only say that God cannot do the logically impossible, but that is due to no obligation but simply to the fact that the logically impossible isn't a thing to be done and is ultimately reduced to nonsense.

All that, then, is to say that these attributes like Justice and Love are deep metaphors. Love, properly understood, is when one acts in for the benefit of the other. So to say that God is love is to say that acts for our benefit. And, of course, that is true--not by necessity, mind you, but just in fact. And the same with all the other attributes. We can actually appeal to a type of strong anthropic principle to help understand this a bit more. God is under no necessity to love us (not even an internal necessity). But because He has freely chosen to love us, the fact is that we do exist. Were God to have not so chosen, we wouldn't even be here to debate the question!

So all that just strikes me as one more reason not to get into "better world" arguments with Muslims (or anyone else). Not only is there no guarantee that our moral sentiments accurately reflect objective morality (which must be grounded in God's (simple) nature), but there is further no way to place God under any sort of moral necessity whatsoever even if our moral sentiments COULD be proven to accurately reflect OM. And then add to all that the fact that the whole idea of "better" or "worse" is absolutely meaningless to an infinite God, and the whole question just because absurd on its face. No, once again, we would do well to drop this whole notion of "better" and stick with an analysis of nature as it is, which tells us something about the nature of God (which He is, not by necessity, but freely).
Jac, there's not much I necessarily disagree with. I entirely agree with your point of view that we can't say God must act in this way or that -- provided we do without a doubt know it is God who we are dealing with. Without that knowledge though, people make their determinations of whether this or that picture of God seems true or false.

It becomes really complicated, once we're talking optimum levels for God with attributes like the maximum love:righteousness ratio, to really define how God should have necessarily behaved and acted (which is trying to measure and quantify Philip). Then we add into the equation all attributes we come including love, justice, fairness, righteousness, patience, kindness, peace, joy, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-controlled and to infinity and beyond. These attributes are like Jac says, "deep metaphors" extending out of who God is, they just symbolise who God is - the great "I AM" who just is. Is it really possible for us to measure all these attributes and know what an optimum ratio for God would be? Phil I have to agree with you that such is just ridiculous to quantify.

Especially given we are just creatures, and by no means have the fuller picture, can't see what future paths happen giving this action or that in an tangible manner like God could, don't even fully understand all of God's good objectives and purposes.

To use Jack Bauer in 24 as an example, he looks evil to many, but necessary to others. Killing this person, torturing that to bring about the maximum good for America using his best judgement possible and still be as loving and compassionate as possible (to appeal to the audience) while doing what is in the best interests of greater America.

It's kind of like CS Lewis in A Grief Observed, "What do people mean when they say, 'I am not afraid of God because I know He is good'? Have they never even been to a dentist?" Unless we have all the information, or are perhaps even God Himself, then we cannot truly judge God's actions, even if the creature could rise above the source of its own morality.

HOWEVER, I'd be clear that in many cases we're not defining how God ought to behave, like we're telling God you must necessarily do `X`, `Y` and `Z` if God really does love us (which people kind of do do, even Christians in their prayer life ;))... however, perhaps it more comes down to we'd expect the true God to not freely indulge in behaving this way or that because such characteristics are anti-God. Where a conception of God is presented that contradict God's nature, then we can make a determination or further investigation ought to be undertaken and is required.

So, for example, a particular "God" someone embraces such as the Islamic "God" who does not love the unbelievers, does not love the evildoers, does not love the proud, does not love the transgressors, does not love the prodigal, does not love the treacherous and furthermore God is an enemy to all unbelievers. This is clearly is not the God I believe in, not the God Christ Himself presented, nor what I'd expect other Christians to believe in. Certainly God would not love our sinful behaviour, but He nonetheless ought to love us because He is God. And provided love truly exists, there is no higher love than God who is its source. So I think a strong argument can be made against this "God", but we can't rule out perhaps we don't have all the right understanding of what is being said in the Koran such that further investigation is actually required.

Or maybe we're dealing with the "God" that Kirk confronts in Star Trek: The Final Frontier movie. Well, Kirk was able to quickly determine this "God" was not all he said he was. Largely based upon its unloving nature.

So there is an issue. Certainly, we can't quantify God's actions, and yet on some level we do and are able to in order to distinguish the one True God from false gods and even given I'm a Christian those who are anti-Christ. How are we to determine such? By their fruit (Matt 7:15-20) And the fruits of the spirit are many godly attributes: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Gal 5:22-23) But, Scripture isn't necessary. Anyone can determine that if love truly exists, then no one can have this more the source it came from.

It does seem initially hopeless try to work out what God should be like, but I'd suggest however, that it doesn't really come down to mathematical quantifications with ratios and the like. Assigning a value to this attribute and that attribute and trying to work out the optimum "God" levels. Rather it comes down to our hearts feeling such out, gut intuitions and the like -- whether we can determine and sense whether the "God" we're being told of is legitimate. Yes, imperfect, but God didn't leave us humans without an apparatus, but has implanted His moral standard in us. Therefore, this moral compass being unaffected and in good working order, even those of us who don't have God can know and do by nature things that are good. (Romans 2:14)

Now the exact kind of argument William Lane Craig made in Paul's opening post, is really much the same as the one your Positive Atheists like Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and company make against the God of the OT and as such God who Christians believe in. And it can be very forceful, not for Atheism per se, but against Christians and perhaps more for making Apatheists (i.e., those who don't care about God one way or the other even if God exists, because clearly God doesn't care much about us).

It is interesting that the main arguments Positive Atheists seems to make against God, is that God is malicious, evil and vindictive given what we see in life and find in each of the main religions of the world. There is this expectation that God ought to be morally good and love us. But, to reach a conclusion of no God, it seems to me their intuition or understanding is wrong which I'll explain.

If something must have always existed (which is true given many things exist), then that foundational something that has always existed can be called "God". The point of difference is whether such is intelligent. I reason that if we accept the immaterial realities of morality, love, goodness and the like, that their source isn't found in a material or physical world having always existed, but rather an intelligent personal entity who has always existed. Therefore, a moral argument (which requires the existence of morality) can't be used to argue against God's existence, even against the existence of a loving and caring God, but it can be used to argue against a particular conception of God.

Positive Atheists go too far then, in declaring a loving God does not exist. Which really casts suspicious on their ability to determine which "God" that has been made known to us through this religion or that, or which "God" perhaps seems to be the most legitimate candidate worth our time looking into further.

If I'm honest, not even the OT where God seems to have unfairly taken one nation to Himself inspires me. This God disheartened me when I read the Bible for the first time like "what about me" if I lived back then outside of Israel, "it isn't fair!" Until I see Christ and God becomes revealed through Him.

Christ epitomises pretty much all I'd expect of God in the right ratios. My heart just connects and the dots seem to align. And then who does Christ point us back to? The God of Israel. So now I'm left to theologically work out what the hell is going on and the misunderstandings that I might have of this God who only makes a deal with Israel forsaking it seems all other nations, this God who asks some guy called Abraham to sacrifice his son like you'd see in some pagan religion and the like. But, for me, it starts and indeed ends with Christ.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Now the exact kind of argument William Lane Craig made in Paul's opening post, is really much the same as the one your Positive Atheists like Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and company make against the God of the OT and as such God who Christians believe in. And it can be very forceful, not for Atheism per se, but against Christians and perhaps more for making Apatheists (i.e., those who don't care about God one way or the other even if God exists, because clearly God doesn't care much about us).
Only when those Atheist define Love according to what THEY WANT it to mean.
An ALL Loving God does NOT equal an ALL ALLOWING God.
Love, pure love, the other-centred Love of God VS the self-centred love that atheists see as being "better" means that God, because He places the "best interest" of His creation in high degree because He loves His creation MUST, by its nature, necessitate "rules" and "regulations" that are in the best interest of creation.

In short, God can NOT simply allow anything to be "OK" because many things are NOT in the best interest of creation even IF creation may THINK they are.
God also allows for creation to do what it needs to to LEARN what is love and not love, what is good and what is wrong.
Because God is LOVE and OTHER-CENTERED Love, He can not dictate and enforce creation to love itself or others.
Creation must learn to love via the heartache of doing.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Does God love ( us ) evildoers ?

Romans 5:8
but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, (evil doers) Christ died for us.

so i guess so, in fact wasn't that the entire point ? Christ didn't come for the 99 making up the flock ... He came for the one that strayed, to be found and reunited with His flock.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Again, good analysis, K. I think what you might be getting at is a theology of fittingness (to use the old word). We can't speak of God's acts in terms of necessity (e.g., He must do this or that) because we can't place God under obligation. But we certainly can speak of His acts in terms of fittingness. We would have to recognize that the argument, "You claim God did X, but that would violate God's character; therefore, God did not do X (and/or your view of God is wrong)" is a weak one. But it is important and ought not be ignored. It is only weak in the sense that it is not grounded in rigorous necessity. But not matter. A lot of what we argue and believe in life isn't grounded in rigorous necessity. The flip side is that while we may not be able to use that argument as an absolute knockdown position, we can be more than fairly certain in its application in various arenas. That is to say, our moral intuitions are worth something, especially when those moral intuitions are backed up by sound reasoning.

So applied to Allah, I think an implicit argument a lot of people make is that their conception of God just doesn't "fit." So we have one of two choices. We either abandon our own view of God and all that entails and "fit" ourselves to it, or else we just recognize that such a view just isn't true. So which is more likely to be true? Our view of God and all that entails (or better, allows), or their view of God and all that it entails (or better, in a lot of cases, doesn't allow). And I'm of the view that I'm warranted in thinking that my understanding of reality and culture is well established enough that the failure of Allah to fit points to the fact that he doesn't really exist. And Jesus Christ is most definitely at the root of that warrant!
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Yes, I suppose it is an argument of ex convenientia (i.e., "fittingness"), one to do with an established fact of God's existence as the necessary maximal being and putting to the test which conception of God seems most congruent with such. While not as precise as say more formal logical arguments (A -> B, A therefore B), to be clear I also don't consider such arbitrary or purely subjective.

Take again, Craig's argument against the God presented in the Koran.
Craig isn't just saying his idea of God is more fitting, but rather more fitting logically of God as the maximal necessary being. A belief in God who is the source of all love (hence, an ALL-loving being) really does look to contradict a God who does not love sinners and all those other people mentioned. So Muslims have some logic to work through here and explaining to do.
They might try to argue Craig's understanding of the Koran is wrong, or maybe they will argue God's love is maximal against His righteousness which are simply metaphor-like but actually unified in who God is (more complicated, but harder for us to refute right?).

Either way, the ball is definitely in their court to try and deal with. And, that ball can be pushed back because we're talking the same language of logic. Unlike, if Craig just said your conception of God is different from mine so I reject your God. Well, they'd just respond likewise saying Craig's conception is wrong and theirs is right.

I guess the point I'd like to get at, is describing what conception of God is "more fit" such still needs some grounding. Isn't merely opinion or conjecture. And as I understand, that seem to also fall in line with Aquinas made use of "fittingness" forms of arguments.