Shades of Sin

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Re: Shades of Sin

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Kurieuo wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:When we see an accident many look upon and reflect on their own mortality. The result is fear. This feeling can often overshadow the feelings of sadness for the people affected, the victims family and for the victim themselves. And one thing I noticed is that there is also a beauty to death that everyone misses. Something that is fleeting and fragile is beautiful. Death defines life.

Sin is the same. When someone sins there is a tendency to look upon the sinner or the sin with revulsion, to reflect upon it and fear that the capability to sin resides within themselves. But what almost everyone misses is there is a beauty to sin. Something that is infinite and pure is also beautiful. Sin defines grace and forgiveness.
Where did such concepts originate? Why do all the religions of the world seem to embrace such things, in one way or another? That is, sin and the need to be cleansed, deal with it or have a solution of some sort to such?

Are you not at least intrigued by such questions?
These are not concepts my dear Kurieuo, they are observations. y@};-
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:When we see an accident many look upon and reflect on their own mortality. The result is fear. This feeling can often overshadow the feelings of sadness for the people affected, the victims family and for the victim themselves. And one thing I noticed is that there is also a beauty to death that everyone misses. Something that is fleeting and fragile is beautiful. Death defines life.

Sin is the same. When someone sins there is a tendency to look upon the sinner or the sin with revulsion, to reflect upon it and fear that the capability to sin resides within themselves. But what almost everyone misses is there is a beauty to sin. Something that is infinite and pure is also beautiful. Sin defines grace and forgiveness.
Where did such concepts originate? Why do all the religions of the world seem to embrace such things, in one way or another? That is, sin and the need to be cleansed, deal with it or have a solution of some sort to such?

Sorry, I'm rather out from nowhere sometimes.

These observations of people and sin, such are like a shared human trait embedded in our nature.
I mean we've all felt guilt. I'm not sure whether such can be put down to intelligence. All felt we needed to try and make up for something. You need intelligence to recognise you've done something wrong, not necessarily feel guilt or like you sinned.

You know, I've often heard some more antagonistic persons say, Christianity creates the problem (sin) and then gives the solution (grace and forgiveness). How convenient such say. Yet, you observe this is not just Christian, but universally seen.

I guess, what I'm getting at, is that we can actually see life and death. We don't necessarily "see" sin and yet I think you're right all of us deep down are repulsed by such when we see it in others. We might become desensitised, minimise it all as nothing or push it out of our minds -- but yes I too see we all essentially feel guilt, remorse, and many would like to change and "be better" people.

(Man do I find it hard to get to the point sometimes, I'm getting there...)

But, these shared traits or nature of things in humans you say we observe.
The question I'm pressed to ask, rather than just observing this shared commonality, is what beliefs best account for such?

I think that at least gets you to God, someone designed this shared trait in us and likely modeled after themselves (i.e., akin to the imago Dei, image of God).
Really, I think that makes a lot of sense to me. You know, we could prefer to kill each other and seen as the strongest and fittest. Yet, we all (most of us) feel burdened if we harm others, taking advantage of the weak and see such going on.

From there, well I see a lot of coherency to your observations of sin centrally in beliefs surrounding Christ. In particular, the beauty of grace and forgiveness such sin can reveal. The story of humanity falling away, doing a lot wrong, and God still extending grace and forgiveness.

The other side of the coin though is what we actually deserve. Justice and righteous wrath or punishment. That too follows sin. May not be as beautiful to us who deserve such. Yet, it seems more like what humanity often understands - AS WELL AS many religions in the world. We need to carry some sort of penalty. Work it off if you will.

Seems to me, a main difference with Christ, is that for Him sin really did define grace and forgiveness. His whole teachings and ministry as a Jewish Rabbi were saturated with such.
Just my own further observations. Your observation seems to be a Christian one. As RickD noticed.

Maybe you're just in the closet. Or you accept much of a Christian anthropic understanding and certain principles, however you just don't want to be associated with how you perceive Christians to be. ;) y@};-
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

I haven`t really thought all this through properly yet but I want to get it down before I forget my thoughts.

Can animals sin? If not, why not?

See, I`m just thinking that if you say animals don`t sin, they don`t know what sin is, they act on instinct etc, then why?
Why do we sin then?
Why do we see certain things as "evil" or "bad" I know that, sometimes, that can be a personal opinion. An extremist Muslim may consider killing a Christian a good thing but generally we all pretty much agree on what`s right and wrong yet these same rules don`t apply to animals. Why not?

Free will, perhaps? I think most agree we possess free will yet it gets put down to evolution, or superior intelligence but where did this superior intelligence come from? Our morals, our sense of sin?

I think, deep down, we all somehow, feel the pull of God. Somehow recognise that there is something "bigger".
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

I think, deep down, we all somehow, feel the pull of God. Somehow recognise that there is something "bigger".

see, i agree with this. i've always thought there must be some ... something, built in to us to seek God. to me, that's the biggest difference between us and animals ... they feel that making it to another day is the "bigger' part of life... mere existence. we on the other hand, we see forward, look in to our futures and see a much "bigger" picture, recognize that who we are and how we go about our daily lives over and above mere existence.
happy is he who can forget the cares of the moment, and turn his hopes toward this blessed abode (heaven), raising himself up in thought to these high spheres of contemplation and love.
The End of the Present World, Fr. Charles Arminjon.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Kurieuo wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Where did such concepts originate? Why do all the religions of the world seem to embrace such things, in one way or another? That is, sin and the need to be cleansed, deal with it or have a solution of some sort to such?

Sorry, I'm rather out from nowhere sometimes.

These observations of people and sin, such are like a shared human trait embedded in our nature.
I mean we've all felt guilt. I'm not sure whether such can be put down to intelligence. All felt we needed to try and make up for something. You need intelligence to recognise you've done something wrong, not necessarily feel guilt or like you sinned.

You know, I've often heard some more antagonistic persons say, Christianity creates the problem (sin) and then gives the solution (grace and forgiveness). How convenient such say. Yet, you observe this is not just Christian, but universally seen.

I guess, what I'm getting at, is that we can actually see life and death. We don't necessarily "see" sin and yet I think you're right all of us deep down are repulsed by such when we see it in others. We might become desensitised, minimise it all as nothing or push it out of our minds -- but yes I too see we all essentially feel guilt, remorse, and many would like to change and "be better" people.

(Man do I find it hard to get to the point sometimes, I'm getting there...)

But, these shared traits or nature of things in humans you say we observe.
The question I'm pressed to ask, rather than just observing this shared commonality, is what beliefs best account for such?

I think that at least gets you to God, someone designed this shared trait in us and likely modeled after themselves (i.e., akin to the imago Dei, image of God).
Really, I think that makes a lot of sense to me. You know, we could prefer to kill each other and seen as the strongest and fittest. Yet, we all (most of us) feel burdened if we harm others, taking advantage of the weak and see such going on.

From there, well I see a lot of coherency to your observations of sin centrally in beliefs surrounding Christ. In particular, the beauty of grace and forgiveness such sin can reveal. The story of humanity falling away, doing a lot wrong, and God still extending grace and forgiveness.

The other side of the coin though is what we actually deserve. Justice and righteous wrath or punishment. That too follows sin. May not be as beautiful to us who deserve such. Yet, it seems more like what humanity often understands - AS WELL AS many religions in the world. We need to carry some sort of penalty. Work it off if you will.

Seems to me, a main difference with Christ, is that for Him sin really did define grace and forgiveness. His whole teachings and ministry as a Jewish Rabbi were saturated with such.
Just my own further observations. Your observation seems to be a Christian one. As RickD noticed.

Maybe you're just in the closet. Or you accept much of a Christian anthropic understanding and certain principles, however you just don't want to be associated with how you perceive Christians to be. ;) y@};-
Ah, now I know what you meant by your previous post.
Yes I am using the (Abrahamic) concept of sin to describe my observation.
However this concept is not universal and the emotional responses which derives from the internalization of the concept of Sin, is distinct to that group.

The reason I used the concept of sin is because the thread is on Shades of Sin, so I appropriately kept my response within the context of the thread. And in addition harnessed the rich heritage of Judeo Christian thought to convey my own observations. I hope that makes sense.

But as to the origins of these concepts, and especially a deeper discussion on human nature and the human emotional response to what now constitutes sin would be outside the scope of this particular thread. If you would like to discuss these topics please feel free to create an appropriate thread.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
joydavid
Newbie Member

Post by joydavid »

i think if we have life and we can live, think, breathe, respond,love, care,hunger, thirst....i see that plants are that way...animals are that way...waters are that way..land is the same way..fish are the same..each and everything which has life can grow by its own....now the difference between humans and others is that humans have dominion or control on the things of that belong to our realm....but there are few which defy the laws like oil, minerals..stones etc...they do not have
life but they are controlled by us..so how can we control something that is not in our understanding??? is once upon a time a question..people do not know how they can use...so time passed by when someone thought that minerals can be useful to decorate or construct..but how??? by processing them....same way when god breathe his life into us...we are made to have spirit with that spirit one person spoke the things which are not there as it were there....so this person spoke of using minerals..but it didnt happen immediately..later men understood how to use minerals......same way life which god gave us is his eternal word..the words that came out of his mouth which are of life and never die..that means what he has said to men be fruitful and multiply has a meaning that this word is true and eternal...but the question why is death???
suppose I created a robot and the robot says that the person from whom i perform is my god not the one who made me..
makes me feel bad about it...the one to which it performs is also created by me....but i made it to respond to another except me...so is it a perfect robot? so if my robot doesnot recognise me i need to fix it or destroy it or tame it to understand me...so is God..his grace is only for whom he is taming to understand him...Jesus is the one who fixed it .. the one who is God came in our image so that our understanding that he wants us to be with him and those who understand this laws defying secret that he is life and without him is death...but we were given time to choose whether we see through the unlimited God or our limited knowledge to excel in life as unknown entity...
I wanted to understand if we can think can animals think? yes!! if animals can communicate each other...does trees can?? does each can communicate with another body?? is it answerable to other????if these can think and these can respond....this is what future science is all about..finding methods of communication...and ways of knowing...aliens does know these laws...so they defy....more importantly...aliens are present and they are in kingdoms..dominions and powers....
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Unless anyone else objects, as the OP, I don't mind if a discussion on human nature and emotional response to what constitutes sin goes on in this thread. I mean, really? Have you seen how easily I stray off topic?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

story, please forgive the hijack ... it's just that Shades of sin is a perfect analogy of someone's life i met tonight on the latest SA run. i won't be making a habit of this but i wasn't expecting who i found tonight ... it was a real pleasure...

Don't judge a book by it's cover …

tom is a guy you'd like. He's 24 and very personable he was married for 3 years before succumbing to an infidelity that his wife simply could not get over. Now divorced, he has a monthly settlement he needs to pay plus child support that breaks him of all but $85.00 per pay check. He works 2 part time jobs, is going to EMCC, local community college to learn to be a welder and graduates in June. Welders make 35-40K to start and with that will be able to fully support himself and his girls.

He has been living in the school, in various departments so as not to arouse suspicion. He said they have showers and lots of couches so he'd been good for almost 2 months. He got caught and turned out. No police but no place to stay because he can't afford a place of his own and continue the support of his estranged family. Many men would just take the money and run, leave the ex and kid to fend for themselves … not this 23 year old. He has and feels an obligation. he still love his wife and adores his child but cannot see her on regularly scheduled visits until he is established as a regular employee.

I was so impressed with him. Here's this homeless young man, kid really, who is trying his best to make all his loose ends meet. Keep his commitment to his ex marriage and forever daughter work 30 hours a week in 2 jobs, go to school and live out of a parking garage stairway just to keep out of the wind. That's perseverance at it's finest from someone most would see on the street as nothing more than indigent. Don't judge a book by it's cover ! Indeed, as he showed me, it's what's inside that counts.

I gave him his chili and bread and we talked just a bit more. He asked if I was Christian, I nodded and he said “well I think God wants me to honor my word, and I couldn’t for my wife so I will try now for her and my daughter, what do you think ?” I told him God loves a man of his word, a man who makes commitments and raises them, honors his family and obviously loves them, even in, maybe especially in, the worst of times. And I said I can't speak for God but as one man to another, I am some proud to make your acquaintance. I got a great smile and hand shake from a much better man than me.

his last words conversationally were … I just have to make it to June … I just have too …

certainly, he'll be in my prayers through June … I just have too …
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:story, please forgive the hijack ... it's just that Shades of sin is a perfect analogy of someone's life i met tonight on the latest SA run. i won't be making a habit of this but i wasn't expecting who i found tonight ... it was a real pleasure...

Don't judge a book by it's cover …

tom is a guy you'd like. He's 24 and very personable he was married for 3 years before succumbing to an infidelity that his wife simply could not get over. Now divorced, he has a monthly settlement he needs to pay plus child support that breaks him of all but $85.00 per pay check. He works 2 part time jobs, is going to EMCC, local community college to learn to be a welder and graduates in June. Welders make 35-40K to start and with that will be able to fully support himself and his girls.

He has been living in the school, in various departments so as not to arouse suspicion. He said they have showers and lots of couches so he'd been good for almost 2 months. He got caught and turned out. No police but no place to stay because he can't afford a place of his own and continue the support of his estranged family. Many men would just take the money and run, leave the ex and kid to fend for themselves … not this 23 year old. He has and feels an obligation. he still love his wife and adores his child but cannot see her on regularly scheduled visits until he is established as a regular employee.

I was so impressed with him. Here's this homeless young man, kid really, who is trying his best to make all his loose ends meet. Keep his commitment to his ex marriage and forever daughter work 30 hours a week in 2 jobs, go to school and live out of a parking garage stairway just to keep out of the wind. That's perseverance at it's finest from someone most would see on the street as nothing more than indigent. Don't judge a book by it's cover ! Indeed, as he showed me, it's what's inside that counts.

I gave him his chili and bread and we talked just a bit more. He asked if I was Christian, I nodded and he said “well I think God wants me to honor my word, and I couldn’t for my wife so I will try now for her and my daughter, what do you think ?” I told him God loves a man of his word, a man who makes commitments and raises them, honors his family and obviously loves them, even in, maybe especially in, the worst of times. And I said I can't speak for God but as one man to another, I am some proud to make your acquaintance. I got a great smile and hand shake from a much better man than me.

his last words conversationally were … I just have to make it to June … I just have too …

certainly, he'll be in my prayers through June … I just have too …
Me too.

June and beyond.

Hijacking the thread? Pfft! And even if you are, with love like that, who cares?