how dose a person know they are saved

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jpbg33
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

how dose a person know they are saved

Post by jpbg33 »

I believe we know we are saved because we are keeping God commandments
I also believe we are not saved if we are not keeping Gods commandments.

I believe that this is the only way we can know we are saved.

1Jhon 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jhon 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jhon 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

Do I believe it makes us saved "NO" but it is the only evidence we have that we are saved.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: how dose a person know they are saved

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:I believe we know we are saved because we are keeping God commandments

1Jhon 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jhon 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

Do I believe it makes us saved "NO" but it is the only evidence we have that we are saved.
Back again, and preaching your salvation by works again..... :shakehead:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I am not preaching works. I am not saying that what you are doing makes you saved but that it is how you know you are saved. Isn't that what 1 john 2: 3-5 says?
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

jpbg33 wrote:I believe we know we are saved because we are keeping God commandments

I believe first off that it is important for a person to know they have been saved.Now having said thisit is by the witness of the Holy Spirit we are filled with the moment we are saved that we know we have been saved and it is not based on what we do but is a gift.you must understand that when Jesus was on this earth it was still by works that a person was saved and justified however after Jesus fulfilled his mission for us and rose from the dead it is no longer by works that we are saved.Salvation is now a gift from God and Ephesians 2:8-9 destroys this idea that we are saved by our works or what we do.

You see once works enters the picture for justification a person can then brag about all of the things they've done,but because salvation is a gift it destroys this idea that we are justified by our works/Jesus also said many that are first shall be last and many that are last shall be first,so that we cannot go on works for justification,only on what Jesus did.

The good news of Jesus is too good of news for some people but the gospel is good news.Jesus also said " Come unto me all of you that labor and I will give you rest."Jesus and him only is the way to heaven and not anything else.

A Christian who has been saved will not add anything to his or her salvation by works,you only grow as a Christian but you are as saved as you were from the first day you were saved.Ihope this helps I could really flesh this out more and give more scripture toback it up but I've learned that it does not matter what God's word says,those who reject grace already have their interpretations of scripture soI will just say a person should read and study the book of Romans about chapters 4-9,Ephesians chapter 2.and Hebrews and Galatians to understand grace.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I know that we are not saved by works. What I am asking is how does a person know that they are saved and I believe that 1John 2:3-5 answers this

1John was written after Jesus died on the cross

the book of John was about the time of Jesus.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

jpbg33 wrote:I know that we are not saved by works. What I am asking is how does a person know that they are saved and I believe that 1John 2:3-5 answers this

1John was written after Jesus died on the cross

the book of John was about the time of Jesus.
I will say this it really comes down to our relationship with Jesus and we are as close to him as we choose to be as Christians,we can allow sin and other things to get in the way of our relationship with Jesus but if and when our relationship is a close relationship the fruit Jesus spoke of is automatic.Soif you are concerned about Christians producing fruit,living by the 10 cammandments,etc you should really try to encourage people to work ontheir relationship with Jesus because when this happens the fruit and the good works will be automatic.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:I am not preaching works. I am not saying that what you are doing makes you saved but that it is how you know you are saved. Isn't that what 1 john 2: 3-5 says?
No. Where do those verses in 1 John, mention salvation?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

Well if you don't even know Him how can you be saved
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:Well if you don't even know Him how can you be saved
Again. Where do those verses mention salvation?

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

That is all referring to our salvation
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:1Jhon 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

Where does the text say that it's referring to salvation? AGAIN, WHERE IS SALVATION MENTIONED?????

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

jpbg33 wrote:1Jhon 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

Can a Christian who has been saved lose their salvation?1st John 3:9"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin,for his seed remaineth in him:and he cannot sin." I don't believe the bible contradicts itself.This here is saying pretty much the same thing Ephesians 2:8-9 says.

Hebrews 9:12-14(works),Galatians 2:16"Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law,but by the faith of Jesus Christ,even we have believed in Jesus Christ,that we might be justified by the faith of Christ,and not by the works of the law:for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified."

."Galatians 3:11 "But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God,it is evident:for the just shall live by faith.verse 12 "And the law is not of faith:but,The man that doeth them shall live in them."1st John 3:9 says the same thing.

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

The truth is no man has ever really been justified by works but by his faith in God and this is true from Genesis to Revelation Hebrews 11:1-40

jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I am not talking about ones saved always saved but I do know that we can lose our salvation.

What I am talking about it how do we know that we are saved.

then I stated how I believe we know that we are saved and this is why

That's what the bible says