God said to me..

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

God said to me..

Post by Nessa »

what do you guys think of prophesy outside of the bible and people saying that God told them something.....

to quote peeta.."real or not real"?
Attachments
HK4e2BnB5sRVpjh7UvLpVNyQx0q9bFl4S3xJmSyrLq48vWg8wL8ww5pXT7IGYThLHdD0W68Km3JEXrxm1EHzFyv4yUv0wVwdT8TGCEiVablYn3Xu7ZEuINELCiIV5KdRnbk-Na-OUOSS7xgjDxpOUX4nnPkDlynvHuSZ=w443-h332-nc.jpeg
HK4e2BnB5sRVpjh7UvLpVNyQx0q9bFl4S3xJmSyrLq48vWg8wL8ww5pXT7IGYThLHdD0W68Km3JEXrxm1EHzFyv4yUv0wVwdT8TGCEiVablYn3Xu7ZEuINELCiIV5KdRnbk-Na-OUOSS7xgjDxpOUX4nnPkDlynvHuSZ=w443-h332-nc.jpeg (62.44 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
Byblos
Old School

Re: God said to me..

Post by Byblos »

Nessa wrote:what do you guys think of prophesy outside of the bible and people saying that God told them something.....

Private revelations are just that, private.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

Nessa wrote:what do you guys think of prophesy outside of the bible and people saying that God told them something.....

I am sceptical.
History is littered with crackpots who claim all kinds of things. Cults are started that way.
We are understandably very wary of people that claim that God has spoken to them.....
But God does communicate with believers.
Many believe we are living in the last days, and scripture says "'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

Personally I have had some very prolific dreams since I was a child, that have continued throughout my life. I have also had some pretty amazing experiences, where I believe God has communicated something to me. But it is personal. Not something I share. For two reasons, firstly because I think the intention was for personal growth and secondly because apart from my husband and family nobody would believe me. Which is okay. Because despite my experiences I tend to not believe others when claims are made because we are told to be wary because in those days false teachers and prophets will appear everywhere.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

Byblos wrote:

Private revelations are just that, private.

I didn't see your response before I posted but you hit the nail on the head!
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Male

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Private revelation is just that, private and should be kept there unless instructed otherwise (if it's real). There are however some good examples of revelation that were intended to be brought to the public eye for reasons of faith and morals. there are many but the two I am most familiar with are Sister Agreda's of Spain "City of God" and Maria Valtorta's "Poem of the Man God".

These works have been put under an incredibly harsh microscope from religious and secular entities. Both have come out of the fire. If revelation is your game, not futuristic... "this is how it's gonna end, end times stuff" then you may be interested in their subject matter. These books are all about the revelation of God to his people about Jesus and Mary and their lives at the time they walked on the earth and the times of today and the influence they still, and forever will, have.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

The Bible is a complete revelation of all that we need to know to carry out God's will. No prophet will ever receive any revelation of new truth that needs to be added to it. However God often speaks to individuals and gives them instructions and information they need to carry out his will. For example, there was a prophet named Agabus.
Now in these days prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. And one of them named Agabus stood up and foretold by the Spirit that there would be a great famine over all the world (this took place in the days of Claudius). So the disciples determined, every one according to his ability, to send relief to the brothers living in Judea. And they did so, sending it to the elders by the hand of Barnabas and Saul.
(Acts 11:27-30 ESV)
Because he warned of a coming famine the church at Antioch was able to send needed help to the church at Jerusalem.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:Private revelation is just that, private ...
You can say that again. :mrgreen:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Can't help myself... fool that I must be... :mrgreen:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Isn't private revelation...private?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I think when it comes to prophesying we need to do it the way the bible tells us to do it,which we don't really do.1st Corinthians 14:27-33.
I think we need to keep in mind Joel 2:28 too.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't believe God hasn't spoken to me in a more direct manner.
However, they were personal private messages and revelations.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

so are some of you saying that if God tells you a private revelation that is ok but making it public isnt? what if a group of people are standing around you praying for you and then suddenly one person gives you a personal revelation from God?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:so are some of you saying that if God tells you a private revelation that is ok but making it public isnt? what if a group of people are standing around you praying for you and then suddenly one person gives you a personal revelation from God?
I try to avoid those situations.

If it was just me, I'd tell them to stop if I'm being upfront.
No one has a right to speak words into my life especially those who don't know me and I know little about.
They can share what they feel though, but I'd quickly leave if they laid it on thick.

Why say it in a prayer, within a group, in front of everyone, unless you're trying to appear all spiritual?
It actually disgusts me. I've been caught within such and felt pressured to participate.
I was really peeved after, so I'd wouldn't let it happen again.
Better to pack up and leave.

So right now, especially if I have a low tolerance at the time, I'd probably say "sorry, I'm leaving now" and walk away.
Why should I care? I'm obviously not a part of their group or like-minded. Who knows, there might be others who then take their own cue.

There's no reason for it is there? I have Scripture. And God gave me a brain to love him with.
If I can't determine their fruit or who they are, then there's no reason to accept anything they tell me.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)