Is Jesus the only way?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Is Jesus the only way?

Post by PaulSacramento »

I never really understood the reluctance to accept Jesus as the only way.
I mean, I understood the reluctance to accept religion, but the reluctance to accept Christ as the only way ( after we have accepted God ) just didn't make much sense to me.
Why?
Well, for one thing all Christ asks is for us to believe and have faith in HIM.
He doesn't give us a list of things to give up, to do, as he said:
Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Of course then I realized that it isn't what Christ ASKS that is too much for some, but what happens ( or what they think happens) after one gives heir life to Christ.
They realize ( or they fear they will realize) that there is something now in them that drives them to be better, be more loving, more caring, to think about others more than themselves, to give up what feels good BUT we know is bad.
I think people are reluctant to view Christ as the only way because they don't like what they think that means for them and hat they KNOW is wrong in them.
dfnj
Recognized Member

Post by dfnj »

PaulSacramento wrote:I never really understood the reluctance to accept Jesus as the only way.
I mean, I understood the reluctance to accept religion, but the reluctance to accept Christ as the only way ( after we have accepted God ) just didn't make much sense to me.
Why?
Because you may be missing the point. There is a world of difference between accepting the teachings of Jesus Christ as the only way and "to accept Jesus as the only way." If it's all about "Jesus" and not the teachings of Jesus then it sounds like you are fan of Jesus. The root of the word "fanatic" is fan. We have too many fanatics for Christ. The fanatics idolize Jesus and the words in the Bible. What the words mean are more important in my humble opinion.

Jesus was a great jewish rabbi and prophet. But I hope we can all agree God is still the almighty. Jesus will always be a representation for God. Not a replacement for God. I think we may have too much idol worship going on. It's funny how people only want to put the Commandments on display but never the Beatitudes! If only the rich and powerful would serve the people instead of the other way around.

"The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:28).

Is it me is does it always seem like money and power is our country's true God.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

dfnj wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:I never really understood the reluctance to accept Jesus as the only way.
Why?
Because you may be missing the point. There is a world of difference between accepting the teachings of Jesus Christ as the only way and "to accept Jesus as the only way." If it's all about "Jesus" and not the teachings of Jesus then it sounds like you are fan of Jesus. The root of the word "fanatic" is fan. We have too many fanatics for Christ. The fanatics idolize Jesus and the words in the Bible. What the words mean are more important in my humble opinion.

Jesus was a great jewish rabbi and prophet. But I hope we can all agree God is still the almighty. Jesus will always be a representation for God. Not a replacement for God. I think we may have too much idol worship going on. It's funny how people only want to put the Commandments on display but never the Beatitudes! If only the rich and powerful would serve the people instead of the other way around.

"The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:28).

Dfnj,

FYI, Jesus Christ IS God.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Jesus wasn`t a representative for God, as Rick says, he was God. Even I know that.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Rob
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Rob »

Was there ever a time when the Son was not? No.
The Son is not lesser than the Father, He is an uncreated person of the triune God.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

dfnj wrote:
Why?

Wow, I mean... I can't believe I read this:
We have too many fanatics for Christ
Sorry, but the problem in this world is NOT ENOUGH Christ, not too much.
To claim the Jesus was a great jewish rabbi and prophet is to downplay ALL that makes Him worthy of offering ALL the believe in Him salvation.
There is NO GOSPEL if all Jesus was, was a great jewish rabbi and prophet.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Rob wrote:Was there ever a time when the Son was not? No.
The Son is not lesser than the Father, He is an uncreated person of the triune God.
The son is equal to The Father ( In nature) and He GIVES UP His equality and submits to The Father.
As Paul states in Colossians.
Of course The Father gives all authority to The Son.