Calvinism and Free Will

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
CazPerth
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Calvinism and Free Will

Post by CazPerth »

I am trying to understand something because it really provoked a disquiet in my heart. I read that Calvinist doctrine is that God alone decides who is saved and who is not, that salvation is predetermined and there is nothing any of us can do to change what God has set in train. I just find that idea so depressing.

I don't know if I am misunderstanding that point of view because I just can't believe it.

Ok, I know I don't have to believe the above (if I have understood it correctly) but the revelation that led to my salvation was about free will. If I am wrong about that then I may as well be an atheist again because, to me, the idea that we are all just going through the motions as predetermined by God is no different to a bleak purposeless life with no God if, indeed, I have no way to save myself.

Why would God do that? He may as well just skip to eternity and put us out of our misery - or into our misery as the case may be.

Interested in your thoughts. I am praying on this because I don't know why it has affected me so deeply.

Love
Carolyn
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Calvinism and Free Will

Post by RickD »

Hi Caz,

I only have access to my iPhone this morning, so it's a little difficult to find what I'm looking for. But here's a post that has some links to Calvinism threads we've had here:
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... sm#p112400

Calvinism seems to be one of the more emotional topics here.
Caz wrote:
I am trying to understand something because it really provoked a disquiet in my heart. I read that Calvinist doctrine is that God alone decides who is saved and who is not, that salvation is predetermined and there is nothing any of us can do to change what God has set in train. I just find that idea so depressing.
Many of us here fall on the side of disagreement with this doctrine too.

I suggest you do a little searching here. :D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

There are PLENTY OF THREADS ON THE TOPIC HERE. Please search for these and lets not start a new one.

Personally I don't want to participate or start this topic again. It is an intimate faith thing and sometimes makes us lose friendship over theological problems. Last time this happened, it resulted in Danny leaving, it is irrelevant if Danny was wrong or right...I miss him and I'm sure all the old members do.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
CazPerth
Recognized Member

Post by CazPerth »

Thank you, I see it is a topic that others have also found emotional I will seek the previous posts.

God Bless
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

CazPerth wrote:Thank you, I see it is a topic that others have also found emotional I will seek the previous posts.

God Bless
Thank you, you will find a great many debates and sound arguments on both side on previous threads... and just to clarify my use of CAPS was not a "yelling" so I hope you didn't read it that way. :ewink:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Look up Molinism as well as that is the doctrine I subscribe to and in my humble opinion makes the best sense of scripture and God's divine love and our freewill.
CazPerth
Recognized Member

Post by CazPerth »

WOW! I see this is one of the big ones. You might want to have a sticky or a thread devoted to it that is more obvious.

I didn't intend to open a can of worms so I am just going to gently replace the lid and back away softly.

Love
Carolyn
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

CazPerth wrote:WOW! I see this is one of the big ones. You might want to have a sticky or a thread devoted to it that is more obvious.

I didn't intend to open a can of worms so I am just going to gently replace the lid and back away softly.

Love
Carolyn
Enjoy the reading of the many threads on this topic.

Concerning the topic - God does indeed decide but not how human beings think He does and that is the key to understand predestination. After all the bible does declare: He does great things past finding out, Yes, wonders without number." Job 9:10, NKJV --- "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!" Rom 11:33, NASB

If you look up Romans 8:29, 30 as that verse helps explain what I mean. From it, spring forth two basic forms of human derived theological thought - yet - the verses defines what predestination is. What happens, in these debates that you will read on this forum regarding this subject is how two sides interpret these verses.

Here is one last point to consider when exploring this topic:

People can become very emotional over this doctrine more than they do about Jesus Christ. In other words, you can say, one's love is revealed (Romans 8:28). People can love this doctrine more than Christ and think their love of the doctrine of predestination is a barometer to indicate their love for Christ. However, please read the principles found in 1 Corinthians 3:3 and James 3:16

Enjoy the reading!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

CazPerth wrote:WOW! I see this is one of the big ones. You might want to have a sticky or a thread devoted to it that is more obvious.

Love
Carolyn
Caz, after searching, if you have any questions, you can post in any of the threads that are open. It's a 'touchy' subject, but it's also an important one. Please don't feel like you can't ask questions. There's no subject that you can't ask about. :D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
CazPerth
Recognized Member

Post by CazPerth »

Hi Ric, I am sure God is providing a lesson or showing me a path when I come up against these big questions. For this one I think it is that I needed to do a bit more independent research because I am obviously not the first to think about this! :oops: And don't get freaked out when I come across man-made ideas but instead to trust in His words. y[-o<
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Love
Carolyn
Actually, I think that's a great idea. One of the mods should make an index thread that has links to the major Calvinism threads and sticky that one at the top of this forum.

Any takers?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.