Proof that GOD Exists

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
User avatar
Tina
Established Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:19 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Proof that GOD Exists

Postby Tina » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:10 pm

http://proofthatgodexists.org/main.php# ... ble-people

I'm not sure how I feel about this site. I agree with a lot of it ( except for the predestination bit )

I want to know what you guys think and if you agree or disagree and why.
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ

User avatar
narnia4
Senior Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby narnia4 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Its ok, kind of simplistic once you get into philosophy.
Young, Restless, Reformed

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18428
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby RickD » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:41 pm

I want to know what you guys think and if you agree or disagree and why.

My mom told me, " if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all". So I'm not sayin nuthin. :mrgreen:
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Beanybag
Valued Member
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:22 am
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby Beanybag » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:27 pm

"Rather than use physical evidence to show that the Bible is most probably true, we again go back to intellectual evidence, and logical proof, to show that the Bible is necessarily true. We can know that the Bible is true because it claims to be true and proves it by the impossibility of the contrary!"

What.

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:48 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby Ivellious » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:32 pm

This website confuses me. First it asks whether I believe if "absolute truth" exists...Then if I click "no" or "I don't know" it forces me to start over at the first question. If I click "I don't care" it says goodbye and takes me to the Disney homepage (the heck?). And only if I accept that absolute truth exists am I even allowed to see the "proof".

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 5696
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby Byblos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:22 am

Beanybag wrote:"Rather than use physical evidence to show that the Bible is most probably true, we again go back to intellectual evidence, and logical proof, to show that the Bible is necessarily true. We can know that the Bible is true because it claims to be true and proves it by the impossibility of the contrary!"

What.



Ivellious wrote:This website confuses me. First it asks whether I believe if "absolute truth" exists...Then if I click "no" or "I don't know" it forces me to start over at the first question. If I click "I don't care" it says goodbye and takes me to the Disney homepage (the heck?). And only if I accept that absolute truth exists am I even allowed to see the "proof".


Welcome to the twilight zone. y:-/
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18428
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby RickD » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:45 am

Ivellious wrote:This website confuses me. First it asks whether I believe if "absolute truth" exists...Then if I click "no" or "I don't know" it forces me to start over at the first question. If I click "I don't care" it says goodbye and takes me to the Disney homepage (the heck?). And only if I accept that absolute truth exists am I even allowed to see the "proof".

:pound: welcome to the wonderful world of Sye Ten Bruggencate! :pound:
Ivellious, did you see the point he was trying to make, by that?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
BavarianWheels
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:09 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Southern California

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby BavarianWheels » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 am

Ivellious wrote:This website confuses me. First it asks whether I believe if "absolute truth" exists...Then if I click "no" or "I don't know" it forces me to start over at the first question. If I click "I don't care" it says goodbye and takes me to the Disney homepage (the heck?). And only if I accept that absolute truth exists am I even allowed to see the "proof".


It's logical to me. If Truth exists, then the evidence means something to you. If you don't know if Truth exists, they offer a question that might clear up the confusion. If one believes Truth does not exist or if one believes it doesn't matter, then there's no reason to go on to the proof since the proof rests on that premise, that Absolute Truth exists.
Image

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18428
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby RickD » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 am

BavarianWheels wrote:
Ivellious wrote:This website confuses me. First it asks whether I believe if "absolute truth" exists...Then if I click "no" or "I don't know" it forces me to start over at the first question. If I click "I don't care" it says goodbye and takes me to the Disney homepage (the heck?). And only if I accept that absolute truth exists am I even allowed to see the "proof".


It's logical to me. If Truth exists, then the evidence means something to you. If you don't know if Truth exists, they offer a question that might clear up the confusion. If one believes Truth does not exist or if one believes it doesn't matter, then there's no reason to go on to the proof since the proof rests on that premise, that Absolute Truth exists.

Darnit Bav! You gave Ivellious the answer. I wanted him to figure it out for himself. y#-o
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
BavarianWheels
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:09 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Southern California

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby BavarianWheels » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:34 am

RickD wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:
Ivellious wrote:This website confuses me. First it asks whether I believe if "absolute truth" exists...Then if I click "no" or "I don't know" it forces me to start over at the first question. If I click "I don't care" it says goodbye and takes me to the Disney homepage (the heck?). And only if I accept that absolute truth exists am I even allowed to see the "proof".


It's logical to me. If Truth exists, then the evidence means something to you. If you don't know if Truth exists, they offer a question that might clear up the confusion. If one believes Truth does not exist or if one believes it doesn't matter, then there's no reason to go on to the proof since the proof rests on that premise, that Absolute Truth exists.

Darnit Bav! You gave Ivellious the answer. I wanted him to figure it out for himself. y#-o


Sorry.

It works ( IMHO ) until one gets to the question of absolute morals. That becomes sticky ( to me ), not because I disagree with objective morality, but that some atheists would argue that morality is subjective to the society one lives in.
Image

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7989
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby PaulSacramento » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:39 am

Most atheists would say that morality is subjective to the culture/society THEY live in.
I have noticed that depending on that, the atheist view of morality tends to be quite varied.

User avatar
jlay
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3616
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:47 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby jlay » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:33 am

Would the athiest say it is objectively true that morality is subjective to the culture they live in? :esurprised:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious

User avatar
narnia4
Senior Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby narnia4 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 am

There is a lot of confusion with terminology when it comes to objective morality, morality, objective moral values, etc. Distinguishing between moral epistemology and moral ontology is a big one. What an atheist is justified in believing, it depends exactly how you frame it... and usually it seems like both sides frame it in a way that's most convenient.

When its all said and done I don't think non-theists are justified in assuming objective morality. Now Feser, for example, argues that they are if they accept an Aristotelian-Thomist framework, but not many atheists at all would want to do that if they accept the theistic implications. In general, it seems like most theists/atheists would actually agree on a mechanistic universe, and if you do that then Hume's is/ought distinction applies and you would need theism to explain objective morality. That logically leads to atheists being forced to deny objective morality imo, but then the problem is whether there is actually evidence for objective morality. Given the atheist's commitment to naturalism/materialism, I don't know what evidence you can present. You can appeal to "properly basic beliefs" or the idea that the existence of objective morality is more obvious than any argument you could produce against it (that's basically what William Lane Craig does). Those are pretty good for some but it seems to me like its more an appeal to intuition or to someone's "innate sense of morality". If the atheist isn't feeling it, I don't think it will do much to convince them with the evidential approach... of course I suppose you could say that about any approach.

Its still worthwhile though, an atheist blogger (I believe at patheos) very recently converted to Catholicism because of this issue.
Young, Restless, Reformed

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7989
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby PaulSacramento » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:23 am

jlay wrote:Would the athiest say it is objectively true that morality is subjective to the culture they live in? :esurprised:

An atheist in Canada will have a far different view of the morality of infanticide or the worth of women, than an atheist in China.
Simply because to them, morals are subjective.
Of course the Atheist in Canada has no reason to believe that the atheist Chinese view on infanticide or girls is morally wrong.

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3310
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Contact:

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Postby neo-x » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:55 am

Its still worthwhile though, an atheist blogger (I believe at patheos) very recently converted to Catholicism because of this issue.

Objective morality can do that to you, because to be honest once you get down to the bare bones of the argument there is no escaping that some things are objectively wrong and if you admit that then you need something non-human from which the standard comes, nature is out, and humans are too diverse on thought on the subject. So once anyone realizes that there is indeed OM then the rest follows a bit easily.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

http://johnadavid.wordpress.com


Return to “Christian Theology”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests