Is God and Jesus the same or are they different

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Protestant
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Is God and Jesus the same or are they different

Post by Protestant »

This is currently a divide in my church, and one reason I haven't gone. My pastor is contempt that if I don't agree with his view that God is the same as Jesus then I will go to Hell.

What do you guys think? Personally, I don't feel it's any of his business to decide that I will go to Hell because I don't agree with his subjective statement.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is God and Jesus the same or are they different

Post by RickD »

Protestant, are you familiar with the concept of Jesus being God in the flesh?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnat ... istianity)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Protestant
Acquainted Member

Post by Protestant »

Yes but maybe I did not phrase my question correctly.

He believes that Jesus and God are the EXACT SAME. In the sense that they are not different at all the exact same entity.
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

Protestant wrote:I don't agree with his view that God is the same as Jesus then I will go to Hell.
Who still scares people with Hell...? :shakehead:
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Protestant
Acquainted Member

Post by Protestant »

Reactionary wrote:
Protestant wrote:I don't agree with his view that God is the same as Jesus then I will go to Hell.
Who still scares people with Hell...? :shakehead:
He didn't say that I would "go to Hell" but he implied to me this "So.. you're going to look God in the face when you meet him and tell him differently?" it is implying my statement.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Protestant wrote:Yes but maybe I did not phrase my question correctly.

He believes that Jesus and God are the EXACT SAME. In the sense that they are not different at all the exact same entity.
I would agree that God is one entity, or being, existent in three persons. The trinity.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Tina
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Tina »

I think GOD can take different forms ( a.k.a.- Jesus Christ )
I think of how our souls have been put into bodies, I think maybe GOD just put part of Himself in a body because such a vessel cannot contain all of GOD and HIS glory...So HE only put part of Himself in it.....but that's just what I think...I'm not positive if it's true...

Here's just a link that explains where Jesus claims to be GOD in the Bible
http://www.godandscience.org/cults/jesus.html
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Protestant wrote:This is currently a divide in my church, and one reason I haven't gone. My pastor is contempt that if I don't agree with his view that God is the same as Jesus then I will go to Hell.

What do you guys think? Personally, I don't feel it's any of his business to decide that I will go to Hell because I don't agree with his subjective statement.
I am not sure what your pastors point is about this...

Is he teaching the Christian Orthodox Trinity doctrine or the Oneness Pentecostalism version?

If we understood what he means it would help us help you better…

See this link for Oneness Pentecostalism
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Protestant
Acquainted Member

Post by Protestant »

Not the Trinity version.
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

no one can be their own son
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Protestant wrote:Not the Trinity version.
Protestant, if your pastor doesn't believe in the trinity, his belief is outside of mainstream Christianity, and you need to use extreme caution. Do you happen to have a website for this pastor's church that I can take a look at? If you don't want to post it here, you can pm me a link to the website, and I'll keep it private. I can usually tell a lot from the "what we believe" section of a church's website.

-Edward R Murrow

Tina
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Tina »

KBCid wrote:no one can be their own son
But isn't a son just a part of the father? A mother and father form a baby. It is half the father and half the mother. So, the son is just a part of the father. I'm sure if GOD wanted to make a part of HIMSELF into a son, then HE can. HE's GOD.
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

KBCid wrote:no one can be their own son
"no one" is singular, and can't be a " their", because their is plural. :wave:

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Jesus and God share the same nature.
They are NOT the same "person".
They are the same in terms of what they are not WHO they are.
Regardless of one feelings about the Trinity, no where will you find in the bible the statement that Son and Father are the same person.
The strongest statements in regards to how "same" Son and Father are, are in:
Colossians 1:15-20
15 [a]He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities— all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He [c] is before all things, and in Him all things [d]hold together. 18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. 19 For [e]it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the [f]fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in [g]heaven.

Philippians 2:5-11
5 Have this attitude [a]in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but [c] emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death [d]on a cross. 9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

It sounds like your pastor is a modalist (technically called a Monoarchian), which means it sounds like he believes that God is one Person who takes on three different forms (sometimes as the Father, sometimes as the Son, sometimes as the Spirit). That's long been regarded as a heresy. Here's a good link where you can read more about that particular view:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10448a.htm

Beyond that, what's been said above is correct, I think. The Father and the Son are of the same substance but they are different Persons. More technically, the Father is the Principle, and the Son and Holy Spirit are internal processions within that Principle. As such, they are identical with that Principle in substance and distinguished only in their relation to Him. That is the classical doctrine of the Trinity: the Father, Son, and Spirit are co-equal, co-substantial, and co-eternal; there is nothing to distinguish the Three of them save their relations (Paternity, Filiation, and Spiration). That even extends to their mind and will (that is, the Father does not have one mind and will, the Son another, and the Spirit yet another, all of which are in essential agreement with one another; rather, they all have the same Mind and Will).

So, no, Jesus is not identical with the Father. The distinction, however, is not in their substance (both are God--here we are talking about Jesus' divine nature, not His human nature--for more on that, read up on the hypostatic union), but rather in their relations to one another. Jesus is the Son of God, while as the Son, He is God. Or, as John put it, "In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God. And the Word Was God."
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.