The Professor Teaches About Evil and Christianity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Anonymous

The Professor Teaches About Evil and Christianity

Post by Anonymous »

Reference this article from your board on evil: I was interested in this idea as I have not come across it before. It leave me with a question though: if evil is really just a lack of goodness, who/what is Satan?

I have to say that the tone of this article is poor: the lengthy story is okay, but it has been written so as to unnecessarily demean the atheist: you do not strengthen you argument with such rubbishing of those that hold different views. The sysnopsis at the bottom was all that was required as it adequately conveys what is after all a very simple concept.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Hi WTR,

I didn't read the article in question, so comments are in a larger context. I think people on both sides will do well to argue only the facts, but you must remember that this is disagreement about beliefs too, so if you hold a belief counter to the article writer, you will feel offended.

Do you believe in evil?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Satan is considered to be considered one of God's most powerful angel's who "fell" from God (righteousness). There is no dualism implied within Christianity.

As for the tone, I see no tone. It's not our fault there have actually been cases of professors picking on Christian students. Just because the story was adapted to such a scenario, so what? I see nothing wrong with the article, and think you're just being touchy. What about freedom of speech?

Additionally, if it was such "a very simple" concept to get, then it makes no sense why Atheists continue trying to associate God with the creation of evil. ;) But you're right, I do believe it is a simple concept to understand also.

Kurieuo.

PS. For those who are wondering, the article is at http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/professor.html.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Evil is that which is not natural to the human race before the face of God - sin. Evil is separation from God. For just like the Fallen Angel Satan was once with God, he separated and became evil. Every sin we commit is voluntary, and therefore not natural.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the replies. I have always wondered about the 'God created everything so God created evil' argument: these ideas explain that very well.

Kurieuo, I still hold to my comment about the tone of the article though. This is not a freedom of speech debate as I have not suggested that the writer be censored. And 'touchy' is a very good description of how I feel. This style of demeaning of non-Christians is very common amongst Christian writing and speaking and causes exactly the same problems to non-Christians as atheist professors picking on Christian students. The latter is rank bad teaching - so, I suggest, is the former. It is just not necessary and, I humbly suggest, is not Christian.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

WalkingtheRoad,

I have to agree with you there, I also found the tone of the article a bit worrying. It isn't written with the attitude of love and kindness that I think a christian should show.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

If we can put up with movies such as The Beast and Saved!, I'm sure that you won't be scarred too much from a story based upon true happenings, which actually serve to get across a point (which seems to have worked!). I also find it offensive how you say it is "demeaning," and how you judge the article, yet you don't really mention any specifics. The only person I can see that might be offended is someone that recognises themselves as the professor. And to such a person I say, shame on you for picking on and trying to mock Christian students! :P Additionally, who made you judge, and whatever gave you the right to say what is and isn't Christian especially when it appears you yourself aren't even Christian?

Two_phat, no offence, but I think you've just bought into WTR's little charade. There is also a reason why it is under humor section of the website, and I think it drives home the intended point well. It's a shame more people like WTR fail to get it, and continue to push the same argument the professor did. Anyway, I am a little suprised you brought into it so easily two_phat. Have you not read some of the things Christ said to the Pharisees? ;)

Kurieuo.

PS. I see no reason for this thread to continue. Now opinions have been stated, consider it locked.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)