Question concerning doubting

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Vash
Recognized Member

Question concerning doubting

Post by Vash »

I didn't know if this belong in Prayer Request or if this situation could be answered away, so if it's the wrong forum, my appologies. Anyway...

Sometimes when I get the occassional doubts, I start to view the evidence as an "it can go both ways" thing. And in doing so, no evidence really satisfies my heart to ease the doubt. As a result, there are times when the faith is a bigger leap than it should be, and sometimes God seems more like a theory.

What should I do? And I don't know if this is an indication that I'm falling away without realizing it or something like that, so if that's the case, this is also a prayer request. Thank you.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Sometimes when I get the occassional doubts, I start to view the evidence as an "it can go both ways" thing. And in doing so, no evidence really satisfies my heart to ease the doubt. As a result, there are times when the faith is a bigger leap than it should be, and sometimes God seems more like a theory.
I feel the same way sometimes. We want to know what the answer is, or at least know that God is working on it. The thing that helps me the most is to remind myself of God's sovereignty, as well as His love and promised provision for me in all things.

God is not obligated to give us an answer that satisfies us, or a quick answer, or even an answer at all sometimes. We can however take comfort in knowing that He is our good heavenly Father who hears all of our prayers and will answer them with His best interest in mind for us.

The hardest part is waiting and trusting in Him, but if we know that he cares about every little minute detail of our lives then we can be assured that whatever the answer is will be the perfect answer.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
waynes world
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by waynes world »

I think its normal to doubt. If you remember Abraham had problems believing God. But what mattered was that God was able to use him in spite of that. We might not all be like Abraham but I believe God can use us no matter how much or how little faith we have. What matters is if we keep steadfast in his word and fellowship with other Christians. Asking questions is the best way to get to the truth.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

As has been noted, doubts are normal and a part of our human condition.

I'm always a little leary of anyone who claims they are absolute in their faith and never have any doubts. Certainly I believe there are mature believers for whom this is less of an issue. As I've grown in my faith over the 30+ years I've bneen a Christian, certainly I wrestle less with many issues, considering them settled. But, I still wrestle.

For me, the answer has been to realize that what I have in Christ is not simply intellectual. It is a relationship. The more I stengthen that realtionship by prayer, meditation, devotion etc and not just dry academic thought, the less I wrestle with these things.

That may not be true for everyone, but I suspect it is for most.

Any relationship, to be strong, requires time, investment and trust built over years.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

Well said and to quote a well worn phrase and very true: God wants our availablity more than he wants our ability. He won't hold us accountable for what we don't know.
Vash
Recognized Member

Post by Vash »

Thank you everyone, for your replies, but I was referring to the "it can go both ways" mentality and how it gets in the way of covering the doubt.

Like, I know it's normal to doubt, but my question is actually about what to do in the situation where my heart can't seemed to be pleased with the answers to the doubts.

Do I just need to be more patient or something?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Vash wrote:Thank you everyone, for your replies, but I was referring to the "it can go both ways" mentality and how it gets in the way of covering the doubt.

Like, I know it's normal to doubt, but my question is actually about what to do in the situation where my heart can't seemed to be pleased with the answers to the doubts.

No. I think you need to address your doubts and strengthen your knowledge and confidence in your faith.

There are some very good resources to help you to strengthen your concerns in these areas.

Not knowing specifically what areas you are concerned with, some that come to mind are:

CS Lewis: Mere Christianity
Josh McDowell: Evidence that Demands a Verdict
Udo Middelman: Pro-Existence

Others can offer some suggestions as well.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Vash
Recognized Member

Post by Vash »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Vash wrote:Thank you everyone, for your replies, but I was referring to the "it can go both ways" mentality and how it gets in the way of covering the doubt.

No. I think you need to address your doubts and strengthen your knowledge and confidence in your faith.

There are some very good resources to help you to strengthen your concerns in these areas.

Not knowing specifically what areas you are concerned with, some that come to mind are:

Bart
Well, my doubts relate to evolution. I know squat about it, but I know so many people intellectually argue for it and firmly believe it.

The scientific aspect of God (creation and whatnot) is just so arguable, and when I know squat about science, it just makes it so hard to clear the doubt out, and my heart just gets overwhelmed sometimes.

Perhaps I'm relying too much on my own understanding, and knowledge when it comes to scientific doubts?
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Vash wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:

Bart
Well, my doubts relate to evolution. I know squat about it, but I know so many people intellectually argue for it and firmly believe it.

The scientific aspect of God (creation and whatnot) is just so arguable, and when I know squat about science, it just makes it so hard to clear the doubt out, and my heart just gets overwhelmed sometimes.

Perhaps I'm relying too much on my own understanding, and knowledge when it comes to scientific doubts?
Hey Vash I knew a bit about Science when I came here but at that time I thought it Clashed with the Bible. I believed in a Young Earth as well. Since Coming here I now believe in an old Earth and know so much more about Science. Just take a look at the Main Site here at Godandscience.org and you will find all you need to know :)