Da Vinci Code Movie

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Colors--none whatsoever. These are issues around which we all have passion.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

While I did read Kurieuo's reply to my post, but in all honesty, I didn't back and give it proper thought. So...let me try to express my thoughts.

It seems you, Kurieuo, were inspired to create this board as a sort of haven, a place for like-minds to come together, put their feet up and enjoy the dialog. You've put considerable time and effort into making it a site many want to visit often and share thoughts and ideas concerning our Christian beliefs on many different topics. That was a huge undertaking where the outcome was to present a beautifully designed board… and a very good thing to do. I suspect I got a wee defensive where Atheist is concerned because I felt he was asking questions respectfully therefore, in my mind, they become legitimate posts.

I might have very different views and perspectives than many other Christians here. In the real world I deal with those either terminally ill, those grieving the loss of a loved one, or those in the midst of a serious health crisis. It's in my blood to want to reach out and embrace those souls that I know are suffering. Couple that line of work with my belief that things happen, and often fall into place for a purpose, a reason….and that I believe that God uses us to help reach others, well then I also believe if you were “inspired” to create this board, Ezekiel 2: 3-7 seems very fitting. At times you might need to accept the responsibility of helping those that place their feet on your doorstep. I don't know how you can escape that responsibility because I believe Jesus would have welcomed a person just like Atheist in and questioned him as to how, after 30 years, he walked away from his faith. What greater purpose do we have then to lead people to Jesus. I guess that effort, in my mind, should supersede even the original intention of this board when it's placed on your doorstep. It's no easy task. Hardly. It's just what I believe we need to find time for.

I can only speak in the case of Atheist though.

Thanks for allowing me to drop by on my few days off and sit a spell. Take good care and have a Blessed Easter…
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Umm, he didn't create this board. He's just a mod.
The edge
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by The edge »

This is the greatest Christian forum I've found (tho I'm into less than 10 forums so far & have been banned from one)....it's not perfect...but it's the best. I've received lot's of resources from the discussions that have added value to my ministries.
Maybe Kurieuo is right. This forum remain good & great because of the guidelines that've been set up.

But with all due respect ...
I do much prefer the pre-revamp G & S forum where a more free environment existed.

I do hope that
1) there will be more moderation on the moderations.
2) That Christian be more humble & issue(not people) oriented in their responses

Can't remember the exact phrase, but it goes soemthing like:
A quiet/gentle answer put out the fire in the arguement.

Thus if Christians can do that, a lot of problem that may have existed in the past from not-too-kind Christian critics would not have occurred, as there're just not enough fodder to keep the flame going. It's our responsibility & not the non-believers since we ought to have the light & live in the light.

WendyWoman & John Hammond...I do love your post, tho this seem to be the 1st time I've seen them.

Athiest. I sincerely hope that you'll find a knowledgable & gentle Christian to guide you in the interpretation of the scripture. All verses you've quoted could have been easily read in some other way that will not be contradictory nor de-meaning to family values. The other approach is to use commentaries. Mathew Henry Commentaries is one of them. It's not perfect, but I'm sure it'll help for those verses you've quoted.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Can't remember the exact phrase, but it goes soemthing like:
A quiet/gentle answer put out the fire in the arguement.
I think that's a Bible verse.

Pr 15:1
A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
The edge
Established Member

Post by The edge »

thk u.

The quote exactly.
If all of us can do that, I think we won't need to be afraid of pure Christian critic disrupting the forum.
Our 1st response would be a gentle answer but if it become apparent that the posting is just meant to disrupt...ignoring it could be the most wise response. Everyone one of us would natrually become the moderator.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Our 1st response would be a gentle answer but if it become apparent that the posting is just meant to disrupt...ignoring it could be the most wise response.
I would agree with you, but the problem with simply ignoring attacks on Chritianity is that we also have a large number of guests reading the forum, and we may leave some of their questions unanswered.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

August wrote:
Our 1st response would be a gentle answer but if it become apparent that the posting is just meant to disrupt...ignoring it could be the most wise response.
I would agree with you, but the problem with simply ignoring attacks on Chritianity is that we also have a large number of guests reading the forum, and we may leave some of their questions unanswered.
I agree with August that ignoring is a bad option. The board would eventually become overrun and turn into one that isn't inline with the G&S purpose. This is the main reason why we started from scratch with the new board. The fact simply is that there are many more Atheists/non-Christians who will post than Christians. They are also usually the most active and vocal, and can usually spin quite a few objections disguised as questions in an attempt to ridicule Christianity. Responses to many of these objections can usually be found by a simple Google search.

Now although some see things differently, my experience tells me that atheist was here for the wrong purpose. However, just remember that atheist was not told to leave, rather his attention was respectfully brought to the discussion guidelines and board purpose. It is not the moderator's (my) fault that he saw himself as being outside the guidelines he agreed to upon registering, and so took offense to this.

At least with the board run the way it currently is—as a Christian domain—moderators can filter out much, while still allowing important questions to be asked by those who really do seek an answer. Christians also do not get drowned out, and rather than being criticised at every word, they are able to think out their responses, strengthen and learn from others.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
The edge
Established Member

Post by The edge »

August & Kurieuo. U're right. There's another side to the problem of ignoring.

I think enough have been said. All have their views about things, & this is one area I think there's no absolute right or wrong answer. It's boils down to gut feel when it come to moderation.
No easy task...so I'll still leave it to u, K....since I'm not offering my service here (not that it is wanted).

I'll continue to enjoy this great site.

Thanks everyone...Critics included.

Let's get back to Mr Da Vinci. 8)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

August wrote:
The problem with this is we're basically backing down. Christian parents who don't like their kids being taught evolution will, instead of trying to fix the problem, will send their kids off to a Christian school. They are ignoring the problem, but it doesn't go away. A minority of evolutionists is suppressing and brainwashing the majority, all because the majority ignores them...(80%+ of Americans claim to be Christians, while no more than 10% or so are atheists).

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

August wrote:
The problem with this is we're basically backing down. Christian parents who don't like their kids being taught evolution will, instead of trying to fix the problem, will send their kids off to a Christian school. They are ignoring the problem, but it doesn't go away. A minority of evolutionists is suppressing and brainwashing the majority, all because the majority ignores them...(80%+ of Americans claim to be Christians, while no more than 10% or so are atheists...which obviously go for evolution...since they must).

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The book was laced with just enough truth of irrelevant issues to confuse the non-discerning reader. I read the book enjoy and read the prior one "angels and demons" again enjoyed.

But never once did I question my own faith or dissolve my belief in christ. If anything it fortified my faith in believing and realizing that "they" will come for my faith thru books and media and violence against christians. And having read and continue to read - I know what guise the enemy wears.

And yes. D.Brown did a wonderful job marketing his book by creating a lightning rod against a most sacred and serious of issues - Faith!

Was yours tested?