Hell – is it Relevant Today?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by B. W. »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I know this is a gross oversimplification, but that's fine.

If hell is real, then it is relevant, regardless of what anyone thinks about it. That which independently exists and is real, ceases to be relative to anyone's opinion.

If hell is not real, then serious issues exist as to the truth of Scripture in every other area. Hell is more than a passing issue. It is central to much that is attributed to Christ and is such a prevailing topic as to beg the question of why Christ focused so much of his time and attention upon the issue if it was simply figurative.

Arguments from the human perspective as to the "fairness" of hell are irrelevant ultimately. Humans did not create nor were they consulted on the issue of creating hell. At some point, on many issues, I've learned to draw a line on my understanding and opinion and simply say, God knows better than me and I accept His actions and His revelation to me concerning it. Doesn't mean I can't learn more or consider more. It just means I don't have to understand it completely, and indeed in many cases it is clear that neither I nor anyone else can understand it completely. God however saw fit to do things a certain way and then chose to reveal it to me in Scripture.

I know that is not an ultimately satisfactory answer for many. Sometimes it is the answer however.

Good point Canuckster1127! I see you are from Sterling VA. I grew up in Falls Church VA. Near Lowman's Plaza, but now live in Colorado. How is the weather out your way?

As I made the case before, Hell is real and it is important to note this. Sin cannot remain in the world to come. A new heaven and earth will arrive in God's time and no unrighteousness will dwell there. God grants every human being a chance to come to Christ. In all equity, God will separate the sheep from the goats, the tares from the wheat, and knows who are his and who is not. Due to His nature, character, attributes, which define God's will, He sentences those that are not his [because of their own volition] to the place he prepared for the Devil and the devils angels. God has too simply because of whom He is.
-
-
-
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

B. W. wrote:
Good point Canuckster1127! I see you are from Sterling VA. I grew up in Falls Church VA. Near Lowman's Plaza, but now live in Colorado. How is the weather out your way?

As I made the case before, Hell is real and it is important to note this. Sin cannot remain in the world to come. A new heaven and earth will arrive in God's time and no unrighteousness will dwell there. God grants every human being a chance to come to Christ. In all equity, God will separate the sheep from the goats, the tares from the wheat, and knows who are his and who is not. Due to His nature, character, attributes, which define God's will, He sentences those that are not his [because of their own volition] to the place he prepared for the Devil and the devils angels. God has too simply because of whom He is.
-
-
-
I used to live in McLean, just up the road from Falls Church. I know it well. I commute into DC and pick up the Metro there most every day now. Cherry blossoms are out. It is up and down, but the weather is nice.

I've been to Colorado Springs before. I spent most of last year in Albuquerque New Mexico on a Gov't contract.

Systematic theology is a good thing and worth the effort, to try and lay it all out. Scripture was not written that way however, and we have to give some room for mystery and apparent contradiction in some areas. We are finite. God is infinite. There are levels we simply cannot, by our very nature understand satisfactorily, about God, because of His very nature.

Conflicts between his attributes are apparent in differing passages because the passage in question focuses upon one element in one particular context. Thus we have difficulty embracing God in both his Love and Justice because from our perspective pure justice is without love and pure love is without justice. Our perspective is lacking, not God's Justice or Love.

This is usually what is at the heart of conflicts over predestination and free will, foreknowledge and foreordinance and the justice of hell.

But it does make for some "heated" interactions.

I just keep picturing someone, sitting in the midst of hell with their eyes shut, repeating to themselves over and over .... "I'm not really here ..... I'm not really here ......"

Not a perfect illlustration perhaps, but it makes a point. ;)
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Cook wrote:How can hell not be neglected and negated in today's modern world? The abolishment of "cruel and unusual punishment" is the highest law of the land in the US. Even in our imperfect, far-from-Godlike society we've come to know that it is not acceptable to inflict punishment of pain and torture for wrongdoing. Even for the worst crimes such as murder, prisoners receive daily nutrition and access to healthcare and libraries, basics of sustenance for body and mind, and don't go on the torture rack. Animals that maul and even kill people are treated better, and are euthanized, instead of being tormented and artificially kept alive to maximize torment.
Well, in the USA, we lock up criminals, why? Then we let them go, then lock them up again and again. Some can be reformed, but most will not. I think Ecclesiastes 8:11 has answer, “When we see criminals commit crime after crime without being punished, it makes us want to start a life of crime.” CEV

Maybe God eternally imprisons so crime will stop repeating itself? Who knows?
Cook wrote:For me hell is not real. It's a relic notion from earlier times when God was seen in much more primitive terms as a hot-tempered tyrant of whims and emotion. This is human anthropomorphism of the eternal God from harsh ages in ancient human history, and for me it does not survive contact with the light of Jesus that inspires high trust or contact with modern human reasoning. Even secular atheists live by ethics of the golden rule -- treat others the way you want to be treated -- which leads to a more advanced stage of understanding where torture is not judicially acceptable and is far far far from being "love". Hell is an "old wineskin" of a belief to me and incompatible with the "new wine skin" good news that God is love and we are to love him with all our heart, mind, and soul. Jac3510 described well how he would have to drastically change his theology to do without the concept of hell, but many people would have to drastically change their understanding of love and justice to entertain this severe and cruel aspect of theological belief. And it is not even necessary in order for essential bright truth to be seen, the pearl of great price to be obtained. It is even a hindrance, as you've pointed out.
Yes, valued point, God's love is primary. Hebrews 6:2 does state there is a doctrine of eternal punishment. What does God do with those that reject His love? John 3:16-18 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” KJVA

Would it be fair to keep those that have, by proven living examples, rejected God's love to remain and thus keep that rejection going on forever? God is fair, He designed humanity with the ability to think, reason, and love on our own. This is wise and fair and just because it absolves God from creating sin. Would it be fair to God to let sin remain? How could he justly change a person?
Cook wrote:The passages attributed to Jesus in the Bible about hell to me are figurative and it is a stretch to make the burning of chaff or elimination of dross into a concept that encompasses eternal life of suffering. As Jesus said, "He that believes in me, though he dies, yet shall he live. And whosoever lives and believes in me shall never die." How can this promise have meaning if actually nobody dies?
I can see your point. But how can a living God justly extinguish life forever and remain true to Himself — to be the author of life?
Cook wrote:To me the highest purest demonstration of God's character ever provided to humanity was in the person of Jesus and his life's example and teachings. I understand that even the least person in the kingdom of love that Jesus taught is greater than any of the old prophets. I think he was truly the divine Son of God and that a study of him is a study of the Father. From Jesus we learn -- though the Pharisees and experts of legalistic theology were blinded from seeing and learning these truths -- that in fact God *is* mocked, and he returns love for being mocked. God is spit on, whipped, tortured, and still he returns love and affection toward his enemies. We see that he overcame this world and exhausted the full bitter cup of evil being driven into him and yet he reveals that God, even when so ignominiously and outrageously abused in this way by his children, *still* returns love and light to them. That is the divine character. To return goodness for evil, to be long-suffering, and to extend love even to the lowly and sinful who don't deserve it.
Amen and very well said. It seems to me, that God offers a choice to Humanity. It is His call. Faith comes by hearing. His calling toward lost humanity is just and fair. Now, how will humanity respond to this hearing?
Cook wrote:For me it is necessary to be rid of the concept of wrath and punitive torture especially because of Jesus' injunction to "be you perfect, even as the Father is perfect." (Or in my case, not to be rid of it, since I never really have believed it, but that it remains in the dustbin). Though we can't hope to attain that perfection, Jesus wants us to progressively come closer to it, and the direction is made clear by him, that it is by love and selfless service. The addition of anger, wrath, and pitiless legalistic judgment to the portrait of the eternal God skews us to dare to feel these are acceptable attitudes toward our neighbors. By faith in grasping the true goodness of the Father, and that this goodness is willing to suffer and endure mocking and even physical insults on the body in order to be a light to others, we are compelled to bestow this same true goodness and service to our neighbors. No higher love is there than this, that you lay down your life for your neighbor. A capacity for such high service to others certainly is far beyond the level where it is possible to be aggrieved by simply being mocked.
Jesus did warn us about everlasting fire and hell and taught on eternal recompense. I do not think we need to rid this concept from the bible. As for being perfect, I think this word means — become mature. Grow in Christ. Become more like Christ in a progressing learning manner. We can do that. Will we stumble, yes! We learn from these living daily lessons as God directs our learning steps. The Goodness of God leads to repentance but what do you do with them that reject God's goodness and learning to be Christ like?
Cook wrote: How is it that hell doesn't make for a tendency to retard and inhibit growth in spiritual understanding and truth by aligning the objectives of religion on selfish preservation? There is always a level of insecurity in coming to know God, but hell prolongs this insecurity in my view, people should be partners with God and secure in his love, and trust him above all else.
I do see your point here and Amen!

Here maybe is why' hell doesn't make for a tendency to retard and inhibit growth in spiritual understanding and truth by aligning the objectives of religion on selfish preservation' - Ecc 8:11 “When we see criminals commit crime after crime without being punished, it makes us want to start a life of crime.” CEV
Cook wrote: What does hell accomplish in spiritual life beyond a very thin application of massively coercive scare tactics in one brief susceptible life? Beyond that thin layer, once in the security of God's love -- the most solid of foundations -- it is of no purpose. And this can be realized even in this brief human life. This is a very early rung on the ladder of attainment up to glory and perfection. God is love. God is our Father in heaven. We're to accept this and go on to the greater work he would have us do, which is to bear much fruit in selfless service to others and share our light with those sitting in darkness. As the good Master said: Fear not. Be of good cheer. Peace be upon you.
Good points Cook and very well stated.

While reading your post, it seems to me that you are saying that God Himself is the one who tortures in Hell and that this is unacceptable for many, including yourself, based on God's character — being a God of love, etc…

This seems to be a sticking point many have with the doctrine of Hell — viewing God as the big mean torturer in the sky.

This brings up a good point - Is it really God who punishes in Hell? Is this true? Some sure like to make God out to be the happy torturer of the damned and that He is in hell pulling toenails out of sinner's toes for fun.

From what I read from the bible, people receive just recompense in Hell for their rejecting of God and in accordance to their deeds. I do not see where it is stated precisely that God is the one torturing a lost soul, or devil, in hell; rather, I see from scripture that these reap what they have sown in varied degrees until the final judgment — sentencing - happens as Revelations chapter 20 state where they are sentenced to a lake of fire.
-
-
-
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Canuckster1127 wrote: I used to live in McLean, just up the road from Falls Church. I know it well. I commute into DC and pick up the Metro there most every day now. Cherry blossoms are out. It is up and down, but the weather is nice.

I've been to Colorado Springs before. I spent most of last year in Albuquerque New Mexico on a Gov't contract.
Yes, I went back to visit the area about 10 years ago and nothing looks the same! Tyson's Corners is a city now! Is Gallows Road still there and did they widen it yet? I took my wife for a drive on it and she was frightened and ask me why I had to drive that way.

I live in Fort Collins in Northern CO now and spring storms are moving thru the area now.
Canuckster1127 wrote: Systematic theology is a good thing and worth the effort, to try and lay it all out. Scripture was not written that way however, and we have to give some room for mystery and apparent contradiction in some areas. We are finite. God is infinite. There are levels we simply cannot, by our very nature understand satisfactorily, about God, because of His very nature.

Conflicts between his attributes are apparent in differing passages because the passage in question focuses upon one element in one particular context. Thus we have difficulty embracing God in both his Love and Justice because from our perspective pure justice is without love and pure love is without justice. Our perspective is lacking, not God's Justice or Love.

This is usually what is at the heart of conflicts over predestination and free will, foreknowledge and foreordinance and the justice of hell.

But it does make for some "heated" interactions.

I just keep picturing someone, sitting in the midst of hell with their eyes shut, repeating to themselves over and over .... "I'm not really here ..... I'm not really here ......"

Not a perfect illustration perhaps, but it makes a point. ;)
Well said! It is true that it is we that 'have difficulty embracing God in both his Love and Justice because from our perspective pure justice is without love and pure love is without justice. Our perspective is lacking, not God's Justice or Love.'

That has been my point. Maybe, just maybe, we can discover how these gel together and are blended one with another. One problem in understanding these is how we focus only on the linear set by step concepts of learning and neglect the circumspect methods of seeing the interrelated whole.

-
-
Locker
Recognized Member

Post by Locker »

B. W. wrote:That has been my point. Maybe, just maybe, we can discover how these gel together and are blended one with another. One problem in understanding these is how we focus only on the linear set by step concepts of learning and neglect the circumspect methods of seeing the interrelated whole.

I think we are and have been doing just that. I will admit, my own concept of Hell and Punishment has changed while working on this thread.

In fact, I see - view God - differently now in a way I cannot explain. Out of gratitude for God being just who he is and nothing else - if that makes sense to anyone....

Also - sorry for the delay in responding...
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

Hell?

Post by bluesman »

Which Hell are we talking about in this thread?

Sheol? Hades? Gehenna? Tartarus?

How is hell both dark and yet filled with flaming fire?

What does the fire stand for ? Real fire or Judgement?

Will Jesus really have a sword coming out of his mouth?

Is God a cosmic torch ?

Why would God bring back people to life to just kill them all again in the White Throne Judgement?

How would that fit in with different degrees of punishment?

What does the Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man teach us?

Michael
Bluesman
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Hell?

Post by B. W. »

bluesman wrote:Which Hell are we talking about in this thread?

Sheol? Hades? Gehenna? Tartarus?

How is hell both dark and yet filled with flaming fire?

What does the fire stand for ? Real fire or Judgment?

Will Jesus really have a sword coming out of his mouth?

Is God a cosmic torch ?

Why would God bring back people to life to just kill them all again in the White Throne Judgment?

How would that fit in with different degrees of punishment?

What does the Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man teach us?

Michael Bluesman
We've been discussing these throughout this thread. When translating words from one language to another, a translator will use a word that best describes what a word means in the vernacular used in language being converted too. Sheol in Hebrew became Hades, etc, in Greek, Latin, etc, translations. Also, allegorical words are used to describe hell too, like pit, prison, hole.

This interplay of words has caused great confusion in the realm of the afterlife and the doctrine of hell. Many like to take issue with this interplay of words and focus only on the historical usage of these words and fail to grasp what the bible is really telling one about Hell.

I would suggest looking up the Old Testament vision of Hell which it is described as a pit, a place where punishment is given, a place of sleep where nightmares never end, a place of symbolic darkness — that lacks the symbolic light of God — hence banishment from God. It is defined as a holding cell, prison, and a place where degrees of punishment are commuted. It can be hot, cold, and hold fire both real and symbolic. This is the current Hell and it is temporary.

The lake of fire that many confuse with Hell is the future state in which the current hell will be tossed into as Revelations 20: 14 plainly tells us.

You may like to read the book “Hell Under Fire” as it answers your questions regarding Hell.

Hope this helps.
-
-
-
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

Hell under Fire

Post by bluesman »

Thanks with helping me in making a point I was round about getting at with
questions I knew the answers to.

Although, I am not sure I totally agree with your take on
Revelations 20: 14.

I will have to look up that book you mentioned though, "Hell Under Fire".

God Bless You
Michael
Bluesman
Locker
Recognized Member

Re: Hell under Fire

Post by Locker »

bluesman wrote:Thanks with helping me in making a point I was round about getting at with
questions I knew the answers to.

Although, I am not sure I totally agree with your take on
Revelations 20: 14.

I will have to look up that book you mentioned though, "Hell Under Fire".

God Bless You
Michael
Bluesman

I looked up the resources in book BW cited and they do match what BW stated.

I think - or my opinion is - is that the current state of Hell is a terrible place where there is fire, cold, cells, prisons, beds, chambers, etc.. and that this place will be tossed into the Lake of Fire at a future time.

I think the book - hell under fire - states this too. It has to be one of the best scholary books on subject that is easy to read and understand and lays it out for the reader the doctrine of hell as it is written in the bible.

IMHO - there is much confusion over the decor of hell and people endlessly debate if it is all flames, desert, hot, cold, demon filled or not demon filled. One needs to rightly divide the word of truth regarding hell and its current state and its future state - it is a place where non-christians wake and discover what it means to be banished from the presence of God forever and reap what they have sown.

I do not think God is the one that physically punishes and tortures in hell as some are inclined to believe. God doesn't want people to end up there and he send Jesus Christ to pay the penalty for our sins so we do not have too but the choice is up to the person to make regarding their eternal destiny. Its a choice they'll have too live with. Does this negate Gods Sovereignity? No it does not.

I would like to ask those that believe that it is God himself that physically punishes and tortures in hell to stated why the believe this is so?

IMHO - God does not, there are those in Hell that will do the physical torture and torment in hell as that place was designed for those fallen angels who hate humanity and resolve that hate on those unfortunate to awake there.

Anyway - I am rambling on - so I'll stop and let someone else pipe in..
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Hell under Fire

Post by B. W. »

Locker wrote: I do not think God is the one that physically punishes and tortures in hell as some are inclined to believe. God doesn't want people to end up there and he send Jesus Christ to pay the penalty for our sins so we do not have too but the choice is up to the person to make regarding their eternal destiny. Its a choice they'll have too live with. Does this negate Gods Sovereignity? No it does not.

I would like to ask those that believe that it is God himself that physically punishes and tortures in hell to stated why the believe this is so?

IMHO - God does not, there are those in Hell that will do the physical torture and torment in hell as that place was designed for those fallen angels who hate humanity and resolve that hate on those unfortunate to awake there.

Anyway - I am rambling on - so I'll stop and let someone else pipe in..
Locker, I hope to meet up with you again when you are in town next week - let me know and we can get a cup of Coffee at Moxies Java.

On to your point -
Locker wrote:"I do not think God is the one that physically punishes and tortures in hell as some are inclined to believe."..
This is a good question too ask for this open thread to freely discuss.

Can someone supply scriptures about this? I'll dig up several references in a few days to spur thought on this matter...
-
-
-