Angels

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Angels

Post by Mastermind »

I came upon a list of the ranks of angels a while ago and was wondering if it is accurate.

(from lowest rank to highest)
Angel
Archangel
Principality
Dominion
Power
Virtue
Throne
Cherubim
Seraphim

I know of Angels and Archangels, Cherubims and Seraphims, as well as some obscure references to Thrones(Mostly from demonology books). I was wondering if there are biblical references to all of the above. Demonology books are usually pretty reliable since they are made to study and classify Demons(and no, it has nothing to do with magic or devil worshipping, it's just research into ancient texts and an attempt to get a decent sample of the hierarchy of other worlds), and as a result, the author will usually discuss benevolent spirits as well.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

That's a great question - something I wish that I knew. I'll put this post in here so I'll be reminded when others give their answers. I have wanted to do a short study on angels since last year.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Poetic_Soul »

The Seraphims are the ones that surround the throne of God. Isiaih chapter 6. See also in Revelation as a reference (HOLY,HOLY,HOLY)

The Cherubims I think are the ones who gaurd the Garden of Eden. Hope this helps. Could be wrong though.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

I always thought that archangel is pretty much the top of the heap. Micheal (I had thought Gabriel too, but not sure on second thought) is an archangel and I think he's the top angel. Hmm, I'm trying to recal whether the bible says what Satan was before the fall...

Edit: I looked it up, Ezekiel 28 clearly references Satan as being a guardian cherub. So there you have it... I'd say it's clear that cherubs are the very top of the ranking. But interesting that Micheal fights Satan in Revelations and drives him from Heaven. Maybe he gets a helping hand from God. :)
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

You notice what Lucifer was made out of...Ezekiel 28.

" 'You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone adorned you: ruby, topaz and emerald, chrysolite, onyx and jasper, sapphire, turquoise and beryl. [c] Your settings and mountings [d] were made of gold; on the day you were created they were prepared.

Maybe he was in charge of Eden and became jealous over Adam.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Poetic_Soul wrote:You notice what Lucifer was made out of...Ezekiel 28.

" 'You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone adorned you: ruby, topaz and emerald, chrysolite, onyx and jasper, sapphire, turquoise and beryl. [c] Your settings and mountings [d] were made of gold; on the day you were created they were prepared.

Maybe he was in charge of Eden and became jealous over Adam.

I believe in Lamentations it tells us how He actually looked! Forget where. WILL try to find it!