Defense for OT violence

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

Jac3510 wrote:So, again, when the non-believer challenges the morality of the OT God, what he is doing is using an authoritative argument. However, to do that, He must presuppose an authority outside of himself, and if he does that . . . well, I'm sure you can imagine the problems he has!
Hi Jac, nice to meet ya. I do see the point, and I would definately consider it valid. I will also keep it in mind. :)
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

No one else has any thoughts? Don't be shy. ;)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

This thread just came to my attention again... but I would like to add, in agreement with the author of the article Love of God, Judgment of God, that I don't only witness God in the Old Testament demonstrating His holiness and prerogative to be judge (and God), but I also see His love, patience and forbearance for those who constantly rebel against Him despite God having graciously cared for them.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Anonymous

God, the potter of many clays.

Post by Anonymous »

I think Gods best answer for me is in two places.
First in Job. When Jobs friends question him and Gods relationship and Job questions Gods actions the answer is, Who are we to questions the creator of all things. Only He is aware of all things and how things should be done. A child dies and we see it as sorrow but an all knowing God knows the childs death is a release from the temptations and sorrows of this world and a union with Him. In the all knowing picture of things, it best works out, if the child is with Him now and not in the world any longer. We must trust God knows all and nothing happens except for what he allows. As for Gods own hand killing
Second verse I think is in first Peter (maybe someone can give true book chapter and verse) Where it says a potter makes some vessels for glory and some for destruction since the pot is his creation who can say what the pot is made for better than the potter and God is like a potter making some vessels for destruction and others for glory. I do not think this teaches God creates some humans for damnation but that a persons life is created from birth to death with a purpose only God is sure of and however long it is on earth or however it looks like destruction/glory is within His perfect plan. It is the fulfillment of the intended design of God and in the WHOLE picture of creation it is best this way.