Is Repentance a Work?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
claysmithr
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Is Repentance a Work?

Post by claysmithr »

I'd say No, it's not a work. The bible tells us we need to repent. What's repentance?

I wrote an article here: http://www.christessays.com/repent/
to repent, to change any or all of the elements composing one's life: attitude, thoughts, and behaviors concerning the demands of God for right living
Repent! The Kingdom of Heaven draws near.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is Repentance a Work?

Post by RickD »

Our old friend Jac wrote about this here:
https://cmmorrison.wordpress.com/tag/metanoeo/
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Ah, Jac....

I miss the drama.. :yes:

Not that I have ever caused any :shock:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ness: Not that I have ever caused any
When it comes to creating drama where none needs to be, Jac was a pro - though he is one of the smartest drama queens I've ever seen.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

That's not very well... Christian Phil, to insult Jac like that especially without him here.

Jac was passionate, as we all are about our particular beliefs. And, if he disagreed, he was straight up rather than being around the bush. He was quite masterful with his rhetoric, and by that I mean art of effective and persuasive speaking including either sly or good insult (in order to persuade and try get people on side while rilling his opponent) -- that wasn't nice to be on the receiving end of. Sometimes he didn't like it back and then it'd go to the next level. ;) But, it seems to me fair game, and certainly made for interesting discussion and reading to those following.

Despite any disagreement or falling out, I still have a great respect for Jac.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I was actually kidding just a bit per Nessa's comment. But nothing I've said wasn't communicated publicly before. It's ancient history. I certainly appreciate his many thoughtful and insightful posts. But when a person disagrees with the viewpoint of another, no matter how sincere their passion - and they repeatedly let their immense hypersensitivity cause their great pride to kick in, and they repeatedly show they can't control themselves, to the point they show sarcastic contempt and disdain for others, and don't really care whether or not they wreck relationships or forum harmony in the process - causing one uproar after another - well, they kill much good they might otherwise do. And that is truly tragic. And I don't care WHO does it!