Can you live a sinless life after salvation

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18097
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby RickD » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 pm

jpbg wrote:
I do not believe that you cry not to sin to be saved or to stay saved.

But I do believe that if you are saved then you will cry not to sin because you love God.

Well, it's my party, and I'll cry if I want to. You would cry too if it happened to you.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby Nessa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:35 pm

jpbg33 wrote:My question is can someone live a sinless life after salvation. I believe the Bible teaches you can.

Sure you can.

You just need to fall into a coma straight after you are saved :econfused:

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7923
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby B. W. » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:44 am

Old Polish Proverb:

Not my circus, not my monkeys

RickD wrote:Image
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7923
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby B. W. » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:51 am

jpbg33 wrote:I was hoping someone would being that up.

I believe John was referring to people who were saying they didn't sin so they didn't need a savior.

He obviously didn't believe Christians went around sinning.

He was the one that said Those in Christ do not sin , if you sin you are of the devil and We do not sin here by we know we are in Him.

If you were to take that verse the way you are wonting to then you are saying that Jesus does not forgive all sin.

For that verse to really mean that every human always has sin in there life then that would mean that when you are saved you are only forgiven of at best most sin.

We all konw that Jesus washes away all our sin when we are saved. So that is how we know John was not referring to Christians living with sin but people saying they didn't need a savior because they do not sin.


I suggest that you take some time and study the basics of Biblical Greek Grammar.

That might help you understand what John is saying in 1 John.

For example, pride, is a great sin and to become like the pharisees thinking they are sinless is great pride..

Do you sin?

Think dirty thoughts?

Make wrong judgments about someone?

Have you neglected, or abandon, of rejected anyone after you were saved?

Thought yourself better than others?

I do suggest to get some good bible dictionaries, commentaries, and study the basics of Greek Grammar. These things help.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

jpbg33
Senior Member
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby jpbg33 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Accualy you did not state anywhere in your post where I was wrong in mine. You copied mine then asked me if I have sinned.

Then you stated in need a commentary and to study Greek so I would know what the Bible meant. By posting that you were saying that I was wrong but you didn't point out where I was wrong.

Which can only mean one thing you can not biblically prove I'm wrong on any thing I said. Which mean I am right.

Me sinning has nothing to do with it I could be sinning every day and the post would still be right. The Bible truths are not dependent on my sinning or not sinning.

If you disagree with some thing in my post what part of the post do you believe is wrong and why.

User avatar
melanie
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 3:18 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby melanie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:39 am

Actually jpbg33 personal accountability is very valid.
If one has no ability to practice what they preach then why should anyone hold any credince to what they are sprouting?
Especially when it comes down to something as controversial as living a sinless life whilst being flawed by the very nature of our humanity.
You claim it's possible but yet you yourself are a failure at it,
As is every single person to some degree since and before Christ.
To claim it's possible when great men and women of biblical text could not accomplish such perfection and to admit that you yourself can not is hypocrisy. The high standards you hold others to at the very least should be attainable by yourself otherwise you are a hypocrite.
Expecting others to live up to an ideal that you yourself are incapable of is flat out dishonest.
Do as I say not as I do...
If and when you accomplish this sinlessness that you preach then can you can claim it as attainable until then get in line with the rest of us sinners who know where we stand and that is flawed before the Lord but still cleansed in His mercy.

jpbg33
Senior Member
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby jpbg33 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:57 pm

I didn't say I couldn't live right until the end. I know that I can through the help of God.

What I am saying is that biblically we can me and everyone else can.

If you believe the Bible is true then you must believe it to be true that as Christians we can live right to the end.

God said He makes a way out from every temptation. So if God makes a way out from every temptation then that means we can make it to the end.

Wether I have or anyone else has doesn't matter biblically we can.

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7923
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby B. W. » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:33 am

jpbg33 wrote:Accualy you did not state anywhere in your post where I was wrong in mine. You copied mine then asked me if I have sinned.

Then you stated in need a commentary and to study Greek so I would know what the Bible meant. By posting that you were saying that I was wrong but you didn't point out where I was wrong.

Which can only mean one thing you can not biblically prove I'm wrong on any thing I said. Which mean I am right.

Me sinning has nothing to do with it I could be sinning every day and the post would still be right. The Bible truths are not dependent on my sinning or not sinning.

If you disagree with some thing in my post what part of the post do you believe is wrong and why.


I think you are not understanding all that I wrote on this as well as other posters are saying.

Yes, for short periods in our mortal lives Christians do not sin but this does not mean one can be 100 percent sinless 24/7 - 365 days a year till they go home to be with Jesus or his return, which comes first.

Do you understand this?

No one is picking a fight with you at all.

Posters are saying that it is impossible for a mortal Christian to live 24 hours and 7 days a week, 365 days every year in this mortal life - sinless. If they do, then pride is showing and that is sin.

Mortal Christians can live for brief periods without sinning in this life but this does not imply that they can be sinless 24 hours ,7 days a week, 365 days every year till they die.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

jpbg33
Senior Member
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby jpbg33 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:19 am

People are not picking a fight they are dogeing the question. Either by saying something that doesn't make any sense like if you are living a sinless life you are showing pride. That doesn't make any sense because if you are living a sinless life you would not be prideful.

And to say that anyone trying to live a sinless life is prideful is unbelievably wrong in every way the ones with pride are those that are not trying to live a sinless life and calling those that are prideful.

It is not wrong or prideful to try and live a sinless life. It is the complete opposite you are showing humility and love for God by striving to be obedient.

I never said that anyone has lived 100% sinless from the first time they accepted Jesus as there savior. I just said it is possible.

If God like the Bible says give us a way out of every temptation then it is possible to live a sinless life.

Either He makes a way out or He does not. I believe He does.

So if God makes a way out of all my temptations untill I get to heaven. Then I can go all the way without sinning but being able to doesn't mean I will.

It is like this if when you find yourself sinning and you neglect to confess your sins and you do not turn away from them (in other words repent). Then you do not believe or love God at all. It is satanic to say it is prideful to try and live right.

It is Jesus that says to go your way and sin no more and it is satan that says don't worry about your sin. Sinning is OK.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 8855
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby Kurieuo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am

14For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. 15For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. 16But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. 17So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 18For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 20But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18097
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby RickD » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:19 am

Who's worse, the person who follows a false gospel, or those of us who argue with him?
Count me in as an idiot.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

jpbg33
Senior Member
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby jpbg33 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:50 am

kurieuo you bid not Finnish that chapter. Later on in that chapter the Bible says we are set free from serving sin though Jesus and that as long as we live in the spirit we will live above sin.

That chapter was saying what I am saying that if you walk in the spirit you will not sin.

Summing up the whole chapter not just the first part. That chapter is saying that in the flesh we can not live right but through Jesus we can live in the spirit and if we stop living according to the flesh and live in the spirit then we will live right and that is the only way we can live right is in the spirit.

That is why the Bible says to walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 8855
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby Kurieuo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:55 pm

jpbg33 wrote:kurieuo you bid not Finnish that chapter. Later on in that chapter the Bible says we are set free from serving sin though Jesus and that as long as we live in the spirit we will live above sin.

That chapter was saying what I am saying that if you walk in the spirit you will not sin.

Summing up the whole chapter not just the first part. That chapter is saying that in the flesh we can not live right but through Jesus we can live in the spirit and if we stop living according to the flesh and live in the spirit then we will live right and that is the only way we can live right is in the spirit.

That is why the Bible says to walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

I quoted a passage, nothing more or less. There is lots after, and lots before, such is the nature of quoting a passage in Scripture. But, there is nothing later on in that chapter (Romans 7) which says: "we are set free from serving sin though Jesus and that as long as we live in the spirit we will live above sin." So, please quote the passage you are referring to?

Nonetheless, I'll raise you on your question in this thread. You ask "Can you live a sinless life after salvation?", where I understand "salvation" to mean, after some sort of being saved via some sort of coming to Christ. Well, let us see what Scripture says in 1 John 3:

    4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

    7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.
From this passage, it seems the question should rather be "Are we saved if we sin after coming to Christ?"

In light of this 1 John 3 passage jpbg, I have two questions for you:

    1) Are you born of God, born again in Christ?
    2) Have you sinned since?
If you answered "yes" to the first, and then "yes" to the second, then because you have sinned it seems according to Scripture that God is not in you, you're not born of God, and you're not actually saved afterall.

This (continual sin) is a problem we all face. Since I don't believe there is anyone here, any Christian anywhere, including the Apostle Paul who himself admits to his own weaknesses and failings in the flesh, who has remained 100% without sin after coming to believe/place their "faith" in Christ.

Is noone therefore saved? I invite you to unpack this for me jpbg. For the end result of such thoughts isn't gospel ("good news") but rather a message of doom from an all-righteous God who will condemn every single one of us.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7813
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Can you live a sinless life after salvation

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:15 am

jpbg33 wrote:RickD how long did it take you to find out your competitor had a camera.

I do not believe that you cry not to sin to be saved or to stay saved.

But I do believe that if you are saved then you will cry not to sin because you love God.

There is a big difference in doing something because you love someone and doing something because you have to.


I assume you meant TRY, not cry.

Yes, I agree that when we love God we try not to sin.
I agree that some are far better at it than others.
I mean, I catch myself swearing and judging and even looking at porn !
Yep, I sin and I try really hard not to ( sin of the flesh as Paul would say).
Does it make me LESS of a Christian to sin, even though I try not to?
Does it make me less a Christian to sin sometimes compared to another that sins rarely?
I mean, everyone sins, no matter how hard they try not since we are NOT perfect and only God is sinless.
I am better than the Christian that sins most of the time?

No.


Return to “Christian Theology”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests