Crash Course Philosophy

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Crash Course Philosophy

Post by Jac3510 »

I highly recommend these videos, especially the first three. They're an excellent overview of philosophy, how to do it, how to think about it, etc. I'm really impressed by these. Here's the link to the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A_CAkY ... NkMybYIHKR

And here's the first three videos:

Again, highly recommend. Good stuff for what it is.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Re: Crash Course Philosophy

Post by Jac3510 »

A quick application relevant to the discussions that happen here when people want to argue that something can come from nothing (even when they don't confuse material causality and efficient causality so that they are actually arguing that nothing can efficiently cause something to exist)--here's a little puzzle for the fourth video:
  • No cat has two tails
    Every cat has one more tail than no cat
    Therefore, every cat has three tails
It shouldn't take much reflection to see that we have an equivocation fallacy around the idea of nothing or "no cat." I trust you can see the solution and why it's relevant to the claims sometimes made here. If not, watch the fourth video. ;)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

You know that deductive reasoning is not really a strong suit of people that have made up their mind on a given position, right?
Confirmation bias is huge in the world we live in.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Agreed. That's one of the reasons it'd be better if people could learn a little bit of philosophy and critical thinking. If I may use a geeky analogy to discuss an already geeky subject, it's like studying chess. Sure, you can improve you game by playing over and over and over again and learning from your own mistakes. Or you can study the games and positions of others. Look at what they did, why the did it, the variations they were calculating in each position, and so on. Then when you encounter something similar, which should be often, actually, since you'll be playing common openings and common positions, then you'll have some idea of how to approach the problem. Same with philosophy. When you know the "rules" of thinking (proper critical thinking skills, understanding of how logic works, etc), you can then look at the way others have approached the big questions. It really helps you frame your own thoughts and see all the variations, implications, and even how those thoughts you are having relate to thoughts you don't agree with.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Jac3510 wrote:Agreed. That's one of the reasons it'd be better if people could learn a little bit of philosophy and critical thinking. If I may use a geeky analogy to discuss an already geeky subject, it's like studying chess. Sure, you can improve you game by playing over and over and over again and learning from your own mistakes. Or you can study the games and positions of others. Look at what they did, why the did it, the variations they were calculating in each position, and so on. Then when you encounter something similar, which should be often, actually, since you'll be playing common openings and common positions, then you'll have some idea of how to approach the problem. Same with philosophy. When you know the "rules" of thinking (proper critical thinking skills, understanding of how logic works, etc), you can then look at the way others have approached the big questions. It really helps you frame your own thoughts and see all the variations, implications, and even how those thoughts you are having relate to thoughts you don't agree with.
In regards to critical thinking:
I find it very interesting that so many skeptics profess to adhere to it and yet, don't apply it to their own views.
At least not to the natural conclusion of their views.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Sexy stuff, Jac!

I bet when Jac's wife wants to get him turned on - she starts talking philosophy to him! :pound: Jac: "Oh, YEAH, baby!!!"
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

PaulSacramento wrote:In regards to critical thinking:
I find it very interesting that so many skeptics profess to adhere to it and yet, don't apply it to their own views.
At least not to the natural conclusion of their views.
True, but what's more interesting still is how they honestly believe that they are applying it to their own views.
Philip wrote:Sexy stuff, Jac!

I bet when Jac's wife wants to get him turned on - she starts talking philosophy to him! :pound: Jac: "Oh, YEAH, baby!!!"
Dude, she says "ontology" or "epistemology" and I'm immediatly read to go. :twisted:

then again, she could say pretty much any word in any language, or say nothing at all, and I'm immediately ready to go (wheverever she tells me to) :oops:
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Dude, she says "ontology" or "epistemology" and I'm immediatly read to go. :twisted:
NO doubt! :lol:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I'd say logic is not the strong suit of many, in any debate or discussion. People more respond to examples, real life examples they associate with. Such normally have little to do with logic, but if you can wrap logic around around a personal narrative, then it's extremely powerful.

It is important, I think, just as much as it is people to understand philosophical foundations from logical and rational types, logical and rational types to understand that people are also emotional passionate beings.

There aren't many, apologists who successfully bring both together. I can only think of one, perhaps two, and one I really bore of quite quickly as he gets side-tracked. Actually three, but one's gone to Christ already. Ravi, Lennox and Lewis. Oh a few more, are coming to my head now, but my point remains.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I think that's profoundly true, K. We live our lives as a narrative. In fact, I think there's a close connection between narrative and consciousness itself. But, anyway, narrative and meaning go hand in hand for us, so much so that a story that doesn't have a meaning or a purpose isn't a story at all -- just a random collection of assertions. So that's the way we live, that's the way we think, that's the way we communicate, and that's the way we find and make purpose and meaning. "Story" is simply the most effective tool of persuasion we have. Get somebody to tell themselves the story you want them to, and you've won 90% of the argument you're having.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I've been testing a new philosophical approach to skeptics and it seems to be more effective than anything else I've tried and that is just pointing out how there is no evidence atheism is true. The next thing you know,I have a thread full of atheists explaining to everybody why they are excluded and don't needs any evidence to know they are right. I just say stuff like explain again why you don't have to have any evidence to be an atheist.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I've been testing a new philosophical approach to skeptics and it seems to be more effective than anything else I've tried and that is just pointing out how there is no evidence atheism is true. The next thing you know,I have a thread full of atheists explaining to everybody why they are excluded and don't needs any evidence to know they are right. I just say stuff like explain again why you don't have to have any evidence to be an atheist.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.